Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

Re: Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    I had Chad Jones, who is supposedly a great athlete and very intelligent person, as my second round choice. But, nine reps with 225 lbs. is very bad. The bench press is certainly not a great measure of how good a football player is, but it does tell me that either Chad Jones is extremely weak in his upper body or he has not been training. He measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs. w/ 32.5" arms. If he had any kind of strength, even without training, he should be able to do more than nine reps. It is certainly no secret that the bench press is going to be one of the tests, so you would think that Chad should have been training for it. Taylor Mays, who is only slightly bigger, knocked out 24 reps and even "little" Earl Thomas did 21, so unless Chad is much better in the other tests, I think he will have some folks seriously reconsidering making him their early round pick.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nf...fensive-backs/
    BFD!! Chad Jones can also throw a fastball in the mid to upper 90's too. Neither that or how many time she can bench press 225 is any indication of how he plays safety. In fact he is one of the better playmaking free safeties in this draft. Period!

And this is good news...maybe teams will dumb enough to overlook his skills on the field for something as dumb as a free safeties bench press and he'll fall to us at 52.

hey Dee Dub, you bring up a good point about Chad Jones throwing a 90 mph fastball. maybe Jones doesn't like to bench press heavy weights because it might make him bulky/less flexible and possibly affect the speed of his pitches?
    It really doesnt matter what the reason is...he still is a very good football player who hits like ton of bricks.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Re: Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":2761f4if
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    I had Chad Jones, who is supposedly a great athlete and very intelligent person, as my second round choice. But, nine reps with 225 lbs. is very bad. The bench press is certainly not a great measure of how good a football player is, but it does tell me that either Chad Jones is extremely weak in his upper body or he has not been training. He measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs. w/ 32.5" arms. If he had any kind of strength, even without training, he should be able to do more than nine reps. It is certainly no secret that the bench press is going to be one of the tests, so you would think that Chad should have been training for it. Taylor Mays, who is only slightly bigger, knocked out 24 reps and even "little" Earl Thomas did 21, so unless Chad is much better in the other tests, I think he will have some folks seriously reconsidering making him their early round pick.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nf...fensive-backs/
    BFD!! Chad Jones can also throw a fastball in the mid to upper 90's too. Neither that or how many time she can bench press 225 is any indication of how he plays safety. In fact he is one of the better playmaking free safeties in this draft. Period!

And this is good news...maybe teams will dumb enough to overlook his skills on the field for something as dumb as a free safeties bench press and he'll fall to us at 52.

hey Dee Dub, you bring up a good point about Chad Jones throwing a 90 mph fastball. maybe Jones doesn't like to bench press heavy weights because it might make him bulky/less flexible and possibly affect the speed of his pitches?
    It really doesnt matter what the reason is...he still is a very good football player who hits like ton of bricks.[/quote:2761f4if]

i have read where some scouts consider Chad Jones to be one of the top 10 all-around athletes in the NFL draft. if the Steelers deem it important for Jones to get stronger they can always start him on a strength/weight lifting program and increase his bench press reps pretty quickly.

what Jones does on a football field is more important than what he does in a weight room, there have been lots of workout warriors who were not good football players.