Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers trying to extend FS Clark at "hometown discount"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers trying to extend FS Clark at "hometown discount"

Sirius reported last night that Clark's agent said a deal with the Steelers doesn't look promising. Could be a negotiating tactic but...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    No surprise. The Steelers won't enter the draft with 'obvious' needs anywhere. That way there is no need to reach on Draft Day.
    Yep, and people will call the FS we draft in the first 3 rounds a bust when he doesn't start in the first game. They'll also say that we don't "coach up" young players just because they can't see whatever the development the player has at practice.
    No rookie defensive player we draft in any round will start a single game unless we are decimated by injuries. LeBeau doesn't do that so we have to resign ourselves to watching closely on special teams and waiting until 2012.

Rookies get to play and contribute on the offensive side of the ball for the Steelers not the defensive side.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Sirius reported last night that Clark's agent said a deal with the Steelers doesn't look promising. Could be a negotiating tactic but...
    Clark was on "The Drive" yesterday and said he hasn't received any offers from the team. He didn't sound too happy through out the interview. He said all of the right things (I want to stay, I'm happy here, blah blah blah) but you could tell this was bothering him. I'll be shocked if a contract gets done before the start of FA on Friday.

If he walks, welcome Earl Thomas (if he's still available).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Clark was on "The Drive" yesterday and said he hasn't received any offers from the team. He didn't sound too happy through out the interview. He said all of the right things (I want to stay, I'm happy here, blah blah blah) but you could tell this was bothering him. I'll be shocked if a contract gets done before the start of FA on Friday.

Earl Thomas even if Clark doesn't walk.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks

here is what Clark said - wonder what he is asking for?

Ryan Clark, the next main focus of the Steelers’ front office has gone public with some sentiments.

“I want to be here, my family likes it here. I want to finish playing with Troy. To be honest with you guys, I haven't had an offer yet. Nothing put to paper or even said verbally. You know, we want to get this deal done. I've bent over backwards to get it done. You hear so much you being a priority and things like that, and if you think about it, there's been a number of guys who've signed contracts, and I haven't been offered one. There's been Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig, Brett Keisel, Casey, Jeff. So it's not like it was one guy got signed, the well ran dry and there was nothing they can do. It hasn't been that, so if you think about priorities and prioritizing, I was way down on the list. I'm going to ask the $6.5, $7 million a year - I wouldn't do that. I know how much Troy makes, and I know how much respect I have for Troy as a player and how much I love him as a friend. I don't see myself as Troy, I don't see myself as having to get that type of paid. So it's not a situation of me saying you gotta pay me how Troy's being paid. I'd be a fool to do that. You know, they showed their level of commitment to Jeff, even though it's one year. $2.8 million dollars. Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig - all these guys have been shown some type of love that says 'you know what, we want you here. We're willing to work to get you here.' I haven't gotten that. I'm frustrated and the reason I agreed to come on, but also to do it to someone I was close to, was because I felt like some things needed to be cleared up. I'm specifically saying I'm not asking for $6.5 - $7 million dollars. It's not a situation to where people were saying where they didn't transition tag him because they don't feel like he's worth that much, he's not going to get paid that much. Well, we didn't ask for that much. It's not a situation where we're being unreasonable, or I'm being unreasonable. I want to be here, my family likes it here. I want to finish playing with Troy. Some of my best friends are on this team and in this city. But right now, what I'm saying is it's not in my hands.”
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    No surprise. The Steelers won't enter the draft with 'obvious' needs anywhere. That way there is no need to reach on Draft Day.
    Yep, and people will call the FS we draft in the first 3 rounds a bust when he doesn't start in the first game. They'll also say that we don't "coach up" young players just because they can't see whatever the development the player has at practice.
    No rookie defensive player we draft in any round will start a single game unless we are decimated by injuries. LeBeau doesn't do that so we have to resign ourselves to watching closely on special teams and waiting until 2012.

Rookies get to play and contribute on the offensive side of the ball for the Steelers not the defensive side.

Legend

User Info Menu

hey Ryan, that's because your agent has set your asking price so unrealistically high...

Ryan Clark still waiting for an offer

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 2:19 PM ET

Steelers tackle Willie Colon's agent wants a trade offer, while Steelers safety Ryan Clark hopes for a contract offer. With less than two days remaining before free agency hits, it doesn't look like Clark will get his wish.

"If you think about priorities and prioritizing, obviously I was way down on the list as they go," Clark told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The two sides have discussed parameters of a deal, but the Steelers look comfortable allowing Clark to hit the market.

The team got a great deal when they signed Clark to a four-year contract for $7 million in 2006. It figures to cost much more per-season to bring him back.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

guess we can cross Antrel Rolle off our wish list...it's this kind of unreasonable demand that makes Ryan Clark's agent hopeful of receiving the big bucks also.

Cardinals | Rolle seeking $8 million annually

Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals FS Antrel Rolle is expecting a contract that averages $8 million annually, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The source said Rolle has already turned down a contract offer from the Cardinals that averages more than $6 million annually.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Clark's agent doesn't expect a deal soon

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, March 4, 2010

If the Steelers want free safety Ryan Clark back, they may have to bid against other teams for his services.

Clark can shop himself around after today, and his agent said he's "not optimistic" that he will get a deal done with the Steelers before the start of the free agent signing period.

Free agency begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

"The reality of it is we're just not in agreement on what I feel his worth is," Clark's agent, Joel Turner, said Wednesday. "We'll get something done if they want to. It's that simple. Don't know that we will, but it's not a situation where either side has told the other one 'We're moving on.' "

Clark, an unrestricted free agent, wants to stay with the Steelers. Director of football operations Kevin Colbert has said the Steelers want the eighth-year veteran to return.

But Colbert also indicated at the recent NFL Scouting Combine that the Steelers may be willing to let Clark test the open market before signing him to a long-term deal.

"I think they feel obligated to look and see what's out there," Colbert said last week. "That's OK because when a player comes back and we're able to sign him and they've done their homework and they feel their best opportunity is here, then everybody feels better."

Clark has started for the Steelers since signing a four-year, $7 million contract with them in 2006. He tied for the team lead in interceptions last season (three) and was second on the Steelers in tackles (89).

The loss of Clark, 30, would leave the Steelers thin at free safety and probably needing to address the position in free agency or the NFL Draft in April.

Since coming to Pittsburgh, Clark has overcome a life-threatening medical situation — he had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed during the 2007 season — and helped the Steelers win a Super Bowl.

Turner said Clark told him "point blank" that he doesn't want to leave the Steelers. Turner added that he expects talks between he and the Steelers to go right up to the end of the team's exclusive negotiating rights with Clark.

"What we're trying to do," Turner said, "is see if we can come to an agreement on what we feel is Ryan's value to the organization."

STEELERS MAKE OFFERS

The Steelers tendered an offer yesterday to cornerback William Gay, a restricted free agent who started 14 games in 2009.

The team also tendered tight end Matt Spaeth, who was selected along with Gay in the 2007 NFL Draft.

The Steelers will receive a fifth-round pick for Gay and a third-round pick for Spaeth if they sign with another team. The free agency period begins Friday.

Starting tackle Willie Colon and punter Daniel Sepulveda were tendered offers from the Steelers on Tuesday.

The Steelers didn't tender offers to Darnell Stapleton or Carey Davis, making them UFAs.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Clark and his agents are frustrated because they want an offer from the Steelers that they will then shop around to a bunch of other teams and try to get more. The Steelers aren't playing their game.

I like the way the Steelers are playing this by letting other teams make the first offer and then seeing if they are willing to match or better it.

However, if Clark and his agent don't stop their public whining he it will become a "self fulfilling prophecy" that his is out of town. The Steelers don't negotiate in the media and the Clark camp is seriously mistaking if they think that tactic works with this team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"