Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wexell: OL Thoughts at Combine on Colon and Trent Williams

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Wexell: OL Thoughts at Combine on Colon and Trent Williams

I think that Colon may be the best run-blocking offensive lineman on the Steelers. Kemo is great when he pulls, but he doesn't blow people off the ball the way you would expect for somebody his size. Colon still has the false start/offsides issues, but I thought especially early this year, he played very well. He always seems to grade out among the best offensive lineman from the coaches, so I'll trust that they see more than we do as fans.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I think that Colon may be the best run-blocking offensive lineman on the Steelers. Kemo is great when he pulls, but he doesn't blow people off the ball the way you would expect for somebody his size. Colon still has the false start/offsides issues, but I thought especially early this year, he played very well. He always seems to grade out among the best offensive lineman from the coaches, so I'll trust that they see more than we do as fans.

i'm okay with Colon and Starks, enough so that i don't believe we need to spend a first or second round pick on an OL since we'll have both of them under contract for at least two more years if we choose to tender Colon as a RFA.

instead, i would rather the Steelers address the C position where i view Hartwig as the weak link on the OL with RG Trai Essex closely behind.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Wexell is off in lala land. Colon the best OL? Right now, he may be the weak link on the OL. The left side of the OL have the 2 best OL on the team.

Colon still has potential, but with Stapleton coming back as well, they can move Essex to RT and plug in Foster, Urbik- if he gets any better than he was last year, a Rookie, or for that matter Stapleton at RG.

If a blue chip OL is there at 18, they have to consider that, but if theres a CB or a Safety there worthy of the 18th pick, that IMO is more important of a pick..

I'm still leaning on the defensive side for that 18th pick.
    At least one website has Colon grade out as the overall 3rd best tackle in the league. Starks ranks 21st. Colon has his brainfart days, but on balance seems to impress on his pass pro skills.

Legend

User Info Menu

It does seem we see Colon beat a few times, but Chadman is wondering if Colon is beaten off the snap, or over the extension of the play?

Also, does Colon give up many sacks when Ben is behind the line? Or when Ben is on the run?

One thing that will always stand out for Chadman was the SB, when Hartwig & Stapleton were beat badly on the goaline, the one where Hartwig got called for holding & gave away the safety- look at the pic..

See how much push the Cardinals player got on Colon compared to his OL mates?

Colon is a rock, one on one, helmet to helmet. But he gets beat by speed rushers when Ben elongates the play, or starts to move outside the pocket.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Colon is our best run blocker and it probably isn't that close. Go back and look where the Steelers get the majority of their yards. They are mostly on the right side behind Colon. He certainly is a better run blocker than Starks. If Colon is not our best OL then who is? It certainly is not the right guard or center positions. I don't think it is Starks either. I guess you could argue that Kemo is the best OL, but he misses assignments just like Colon.

I will take colon because at least he is physical and effective as a run blocker. Fans want to see the Steelers run the ball better. Well there are several candidates who need to be replaced before Colon in order to make that happen.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.