Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P-G: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: P-G: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player

shwan my point was: I'm leery of expecting a back up to come in and start and look good. I compared the scenario to gay. gay looked good in spot duty, good enough to let mcfad walk and for us not to look at other options. I feel that fox is the same kind of player. good in spot duty but not a full time starter. imo it's relatively easy to come off the bench and look decent for a game or two since other teams (and their players) don't know your tendencies.
    and stlrz d why would i think we have to draft at every position? seriously, I'm looking for a starter, not a real good backup that looks good in spot duty. I've stated what I think we need, where we need to draft them and why. I would say that we need to start getting younger on d. all over the place.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    shwan my point was: I'm leery of expecting a back up to come in and start and look good. I compared the scenario to gay. gay looked good in spot duty, good enough to let mcfad walk and for us not to look at other options. I feel that fox is the same kind of player. good in spot duty but not a full time starter. imo it's relatively easy to come off the bench and look decent for a game or two since other teams (and their players) don't know your tendencies.
    and stlrz d why would i think we have to draft at every position? seriously, I'm looking for a starter, not a real good backup that looks good in spot duty. I've stated what I think we need, where we need to draft them and why. I would say that we need to start getting younger on d. all over the place.
    I agree. Fox looks petty decent in spot duty, but I think there is a reason that he has never really been a full-time starter. I think he started some in KC, but let him go, and they needed a LOT of help on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    ....If we do re-sign Clark...then I will change my mock draft.
    That means your draft would be based on need?? Stick to your guns Shawn. Take best player available. If Thomas is rated highest on the Steelers board at 18...then that sould be the pick. Regardless if Clark is signed.
    I'm saying they are equal players...and yes need does come into play. Even the Steelers have been quoted as saying so. Need always plays into the equation. If you have two grounded starters at ILB...why draft another just because he is BPA? Makes no sense. That would make as much sense as drafting a QB in the first. So, the guns are stuck.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    I agree. Fox looks petty decent in spot duty, but I think there is a reason that he has never really been a full-time starter. I think he started some in KC, but let him go, and they needed a LOT of help on D.
    The Steelers have been quoted as being very please with his play. He wasn't a FT starter here because of Farrior and Timmons. And as we know some players need time to develop...who knows if he got in a dog house, wasnt ready at KC or that KC is just that poor at scouting their own talent. Wasn't Bettis benched when playing for the Rams?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Jim Wexell is not a fan of drafting Weatherspoon as described below. He usually has pretty accurate info so I wonder if interest in Weather spoon is a "smokescreen?"

In 2007, I raged – initially – at the drafting of Lawrence Timmons with the 15th pick. I was surprised that the Steelers were calling him an outside linebacker for their scheme when in reality he was a 4-3 will backer.

Well, the Steelers moved him inside to replace their weakest linebacker and now it appears they have their pass-downs coverage backer for the next several years. Fine.

But the Steelers are looking at Lawrence Timmons II at this combine. His name is Sean Weatherspoon. Like Timmons, he’s really a 4-3 will backer with similar size and speed.

Weatherspoon had an admittedly uneven senior season, and played poorly when moved inside against Navy in Missouri’s bowl loss. But, at the Senior Bowl, he played his best football of the season as a middle backer. Weatherspoon dropped fluidly and quickly into coverage and shot gaps to take down ballcarriers. And he did it all loudly, since he’s an enthusiastic and passionate leader. But, at his size, he doesn’t take on blocks. He runs around them, so I still feel he’d fit better as a 4-3 will backer. He’s Timmons Lite.

So why draft a second Timmons? Why draft an inside coverage backer who’ll have to be taken off the field on third downs because you already have one of those?

It doesn’t make sense to me, but I’ll watch Weatherspoon go through the paces at the combine today. And I’ll also watch Brandon Spikes, who, with his physical inside presence and third-down pass-rushing ability off the edge, makes more sense as James Farrior’s eventual replacement.

That is, of course, if Rolando McClain is already drafted in the first 17 picks, as expected.
    What's even more curious is the fact that I have heard zero info on their desire to draft Thomas. We have serious needs in our secondary and this guy is elite talent. I don't even think we spoke to Mendenhall last season before we drafted him...he wasn't on anyones radar.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jim Wexell is not a fan of drafting Weatherspoon as described below. He usually has pretty accurate info so I wonder if interest in Weather spoon is a "smokescreen?"

In 2007, I raged – initially – at the drafting of Lawrence Timmons with the 15th pick. I was surprised that the Steelers were calling him an outside linebacker for their scheme when in reality he was a 4-3 will backer.

Well, the Steelers moved him inside to replace their weakest linebacker and now it appears they have their pass-downs coverage backer for the next several years. Fine.

But the Steelers are looking at Lawrence Timmons II at this combine. His name is Sean Weatherspoon. Like Timmons, he’s really a 4-3 will backer with similar size and speed.

Weatherspoon had an admittedly uneven senior season, and played poorly when moved inside against Navy in Missouri’s bowl loss. But, at the Senior Bowl, he played his best football of the season as a middle backer. Weatherspoon dropped fluidly and quickly into coverage and shot gaps to take down ballcarriers. And he did it all loudly, since he’s an enthusiastic and passionate leader. But, at his size, he doesn’t take on blocks. He runs around them, so I still feel he’d fit better as a 4-3 will backer. He’s Timmons Lite.

So why draft a second Timmons? Why draft an inside coverage backer who’ll have to be taken off the field on third downs because you already have one of those?

It doesn’t make sense to me, but I’ll watch Weatherspoon go through the paces at the combine today. And I’ll also watch Brandon Spikes, who, with his physical inside presence and third-down pass-rushing ability off the edge, makes more sense as James Farrior’s eventual replacement.

That is, of course, if Rolando McClain is already drafted in the first 17 picks, as expected.
    What's even more curious is the fact that I have heard zero info on their desire to draft Thomas. We have serious needs in our secondary and this guy is elite talent. I don't even think we spoke to Mendenhall last season before we drafted him...he wasn't on anyones radar.
    They may not agree that Thomas is elite talent. On a number of boards (for what they are worth) he has been dropping on questions whether he is physical enough to be successful against an NFL running game and be durable.

The safeties in the Steelers defensive scheme do not play the same way the Safeties do in other schemes especially with Troy freelancing like does. Many times the FS in our defense has to play like a SS. That is why I take Taylor Mays over Thomas.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

They may not agree that Thomas is elite talent. On a number of boards (for what they are worth) he has been dropping on questions whether he is physical enough to be successful against an NFL running game and be durable.

The safeties in the Steelers defensive scheme do not play the same way the Safeties do in other schemes especially with Troy freelancing like does. Many times the FS in our defense has to play like a SS. That is why I take Taylor Mays over Thomas.
    Ehhh...hold it right thur O. I think you got it mixed up. Because of the way Troy plays...the safety is responsible for being the centerfielder...more coverage responsibilities. Thomas is light years ahead of Mays in coverage. Thomas fits a centerfielder better than Mays. Not to mention Thomas is very physical...but yes teams wonder about his durability because of his size. Now Mays is interesting...if we brought him in...it would be because they want to extend Troy's career. Allowing Mays to be the missle wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thomas may have heard of that criticism. He weighed in at 5'10" and 208 lbs. The same size as Troy. Also, he did 21 reps in the BP. Only three less than Taylor Mays and the same number as Myron Rolle. That is impressive. I can't wait to see his 40 time and cone drill times.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My thought about Thomas & why I doubt their interest, is that if they are saying that they may not be able to sign Clark because the team has so much money tied up position with Troy's contact, then why would they draft a safety in the 1st considering the dollars that it would command?

Spoon, regardless of where he's drafted, would be a great asset to the team & the thought of having two big-hitting, heat-seeking missiles as our LBs should bring a smile to any Steeler fan's face.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

I really hope dollars don't keep the Steelers from drafting the guy who could be the best in this class. Check out this write up from a recent article.

Next stop, Earl Thomas from the University of Texas -- another complete defensive back. Here's a guy that plays the piano and saxophone off the field, and on the field drives quarterbacks crazy trying to figure out where he lines up and what his responsibility really is on a given play. Some would argue he's ahead of Berry on draft boards. I asked Thomas if he was the best defensive back in the draft, but he was way too humble to answer that question. Instead, he went on to talk about how he prepares for football and opponents, and when the coaches at the combine hear him talk they all are going to want him on their team. He told me how his family lost its home in a hurricane and why it's time to help out by going to the NFL.

When I asked him about press coverage techniques, his response was, "My dad played arena football and I've been pressing guys since elementary school." Thomas can line up anywhere in the secondary and play well. I circled back to the piano at the end of our conversation and asked him how he got started with playing. "Our family was at church one Sunday and the choir was singing and no one was on the piano," he explained. "So my dad said, 'Go up there and play along.'" With no training at all, Thomas went up and tried to play. Earl Thomas can do it all!
    Trolls are people too.