Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P-G: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player

Re: P-G: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    wow shawn you got a MD without being able to read? at no point did i say ANYTHING about KC. and how does it relate? both looked decent in spot duty and part time starters. as a full time starter gay looked bad. as a full time starter fox will look bad. get it?
    No need to get your panties in a bunch. Someone said that in a previous debate and I thought it was you. And no I don't get it. Guess Im slow or your logic is faulty. I can't see how Gay looking good or bad has anything to do with Fox.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    wow shawn you got a MD without being able to read? at no point did i say ANYTHING about KC. and how does it relate? both looked decent in spot duty and part time starters. as a full time starter gay looked bad. as a full time starter fox will look bad. get it?
    I disagree. I don't think he'll be a star in the NFL but he certainly won't look bad.

And the point Shawn makes is correct...Gay has nothing to do with Fox.

By your logic we need to draft at every position because no one on the roster will be able to replace the guy ahead of them ever.

Hall of Famer

My boy SPOON making me look good! 34 on the bench. "Get off me OL!"

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/28/butler- ... -in-bench/

Legend

Jim Wexell is not a fan of drafting Weatherspoon as described below. He usually has pretty accurate info so I wonder if interest in Weather spoon is a "smokescreen?"

In 2007, I raged – initially – at the drafting of Lawrence Timmons with the 15th pick. I was surprised that the Steelers were calling him an outside linebacker for their scheme when in reality he was a 4-3 will backer.

Well, the Steelers moved him inside to replace their weakest linebacker and now it appears they have their pass-downs coverage backer for the next several years. Fine.

But the Steelers are looking at Lawrence Timmons II at this combine. His name is Sean Weatherspoon. Like Timmons, he’s really a 4-3 will backer with similar size and speed.

Weatherspoon had an admittedly uneven senior season, and played poorly when moved inside against Navy in Missouri’s bowl loss. But, at the Senior Bowl, he played his best football of the season as a middle backer. Weatherspoon dropped fluidly and quickly into coverage and shot gaps to take down ballcarriers. And he did it all loudly, since he’s an enthusiastic and passionate leader. But, at his size, he doesn’t take on blocks. He runs around them, so I still feel he’d fit better as a 4-3 will backer. He’s Timmons Lite.

So why draft a second Timmons? Why draft an inside coverage backer who’ll have to be taken off the field on third downs because you already have one of those?

It doesn’t make sense to me, but I’ll watch Weatherspoon go through the paces at the combine today. And I’ll also watch Brandon Spikes, who, with his physical inside presence and third-down pass-rushing ability off the edge, makes more sense as James Farrior’s eventual replacement.

That is, of course, if Rolando McClain is already drafted in the first 17 picks, as expected.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Ehh I don't know about an ILB in the first. The Steelers would have to think poorly of Fox in the starting role. From what I seen Fox can flat out play...physical...good in coverage...just a solid all around linebacker. I would rather have Micah Johnson in the 4th personally (if we are talking depth) and solidify our secondary with Thomas who can play DB, SS or FS.

If both Thomas and Weatherspoon are on the board at 18...I think the Steelers will have a tough decision. They certainly value a top notch LBr over FS...as well they should. But, if Fox can start and play well...its much less of a need than FS. I consider these guys equal in talent. Both can play ball. I say we draft Thomas.

I'd take Thomas in that scenario. Thomas is undersized, but he has a chance to be very special. I also think Thomas could be a very good starting corner (if we resign Clark). Weatherspoon is a good player, but I didn't like the way he played vs Navy in the bowl game. He got fooled to often and had real trouble breaking free from some very average offensive linemen. Weatherspoon would be a better value later in the first or early second, imho.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Jim Wexell is not a fan of drafting Weatherspoon as described below. He usually has pretty accurate info so I wonder if interest in Weather spoon is a "smokescreen?"

In 2007, I raged – initially – at the drafting of Lawrence Timmons with the 15th pick. I was surprised that the Steelers were calling him an outside linebacker for their scheme when in reality he was a 4-3 will backer.

Well, the Steelers moved him inside to replace their weakest linebacker and now it appears they have their pass-downs coverage backer for the next several years. Fine.

But the Steelers are looking at Lawrence Timmons II at this combine. His name is Sean Weatherspoon. Like Timmons, he’s really a 4-3 will backer with similar size and speed.

Weatherspoon had an admittedly uneven senior season, and played poorly when moved inside against Navy in Missouri’s bowl loss. But, at the Senior Bowl, he played his best football of the season as a middle backer. Weatherspoon dropped fluidly and quickly into coverage and shot gaps to take down ballcarriers. And he did it all loudly, since he’s an enthusiastic and passionate leader. But, at his size, he doesn’t take on blocks. He runs around them, so I still feel he’d fit better as a 4-3 will backer. He’s Timmons Lite.

So why draft a second Timmons? Why draft an inside coverage backer who’ll have to be taken off the field on third downs because you already have one of those?

It doesn’t make sense to me, but I’ll watch Weatherspoon go through the paces at the combine today. And I’ll also watch Brandon Spikes, who, with his physical inside presence and third-down pass-rushing ability off the edge, makes more sense as James Farrior’s eventual replacement.

That is, of course, if Rolando McClain is already drafted in the first 17 picks, as expected.
    Spoon is not the Timmons "LITE". He weighs more than Timmons coming out. Spoon put up 9 more reps than Timmons. Timmons put up 1 more rep than McClain. Timmons never had the strength of Spoon and nowhere close to the resume. Spoon had over 100 tackles his last three years. 155 his Junior year.

We here all of this negativity about Spoon being the small athletic LB and he isn't a good fit replacing Farrior. He isn't small...He just not a 250 LB thumper. But how many of them are running around in the NFL? Farrior never had Spoons athleticism, SPoons strength, or Spoons size. Farrior told everyone he played at 225 at the end of the SB year. So who is everyone comparing him to? It isn't the James Farrior playing for the Steelers.

Just for reference. Spoon is the same size as Willis coming out. Spoon put up 12 more reps than Willis. I will keep looking at the comparison. But how many of us would love to have seen Willis as a Steeler? As much as having Troy on the field gives the secondary flexibilty...Having Spoon & Timmons in the middle will add to that. When you have 2 MLBs that could run with the RBs & TEs in man or handle WRs in their intermediate zone...I can only imagine what DL will come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

Spoon is not the Timmons "LITE". He weighs more than Timmons coming out. Spoon put up 9 more reps than Timmons. Timmons put up 1 more rep than McClain. Timmons never had the strength of Spoon and nowhere close to the resume. Spoon had over 100 tackles his last three years. 155 his Junior year.

We here all of this negativity about Spoon being the small athletic LB and he isn't a good fit replacing Farrior. He isn't small...He just not a 250 LB thumper. But how many of them are running around in the NFL? Farrior never had Spoons athleticism, SPoons strength, or Spoons size. Farrior told everyone he played at 225 at the end of the SB year. So who is everyone comparing him to? It isn't the James Farrior playing for the Steelers.

Just for reference. Spoon is the same size as Willis coming out. Spoon put up 12 more reps than Willis. I will keep looking at the comparison. But how many of us would love to have seen Willis as a Steeler? As much as having Troy on the field gives the secondary flexibilty...Having Spoon & Timmons in the middle will add to that. When you have 2 MLBs that could run with the RBs & TEs in man or handle WRs in their intermediate zone...I can only imagine what DL will come up with.
    I'm starting to hop on the Spoon bandwagon. The guy is an athletic marvel. I just didn't see him fitting. But, I think my logic was faulty and I think there is a strong chance that we draft him. I wouldn't be unhappy with that selection.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

I'm starting to hop on the Spoon bandwagon. The guy is an athletic marvel. I just didn't see him fitting. But, I think my logic was faulty and I think there is a strong chance that we draft him. I wouldn't be unhappy with that selection.

I don't think that Weatherspoon would be a bad selection at #18. I think he would be one of my top 5 along with: Mays, Spiller, Odrick and Iupati.

I also think we will hear bemoaning about his stoutness against the run because he is in fact very much more a speed player than a thumper much like Timmons. I'm not saying that is bad because I think that with OT's being allowed to hold with relative impunity having two players on the inside that can blitz will become more critical.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

....If we do re-sign Clark...then I will change my mock draft.
    That means your draft would be based on need?? Stick to your guns Shawn. Take best player available. If Thomas is rated highest on the Steelers board at 18...then that sould be the pick. Regardless if Clark is signed.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

....I also think we will hear bemoaning about his stoutness against the run because he is in fact very much more a speed player than a thumper much like Timmons....
    34 reps at 225?? I think he's got a little thump in him.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma