Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SteelCzar76: Final first round mock,..

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: SteelCzar76: Final first round mock,..

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Go back and look what was said about Troy P. Same things being said about Mays, how has that worked out????

IMO Mays would be a great pick because he of all the top ranked safety prospects has the ability to play both SS and FS. With Troy's recent injury issues, which aren't going away, Mays would be a great asset being able to swing between FS and SS. He would also be able to play SS and let Troy go to FS where the physical toll on his body would be less.
    Exactly. (Imagine that,..me and O in agreement) LOL
    My analysis is just based off of the pre bowl game statements that he takes bad angles and struggles a little in coverage and then watching the bowl game where he almost single handedly lost the game for USC.

This older draft profile doesn't mention any real negatives regarding Troy....not saying there weren't any back then....just don't recall. This is from Scout.com......
    Biography:
    Troy Polamalu, of USC, was the Steelers' first round draft choice of 2003. The 2002 season pointed out a glaring weakness in the team's pass protection, so the Steelers traded its 1st, 3rd, and 6th round choices with Kansas City to move up from the 27th overall spot to the Chief's 16th spot and select Troy.
    At USC, Troy was a 3-year starter who also saw some playing time at linebacker his freshman year. A very physical player, he developed a reputation for sacrificing his body to make the hit as well as being a team leader. When playing the run, he has great ability to move sideline-to-sideline. He impressed with his pass coverage also, with fluid movement and back-pedaling, and sound decision-making during the play.

Troy was named All-American and All-Conference both his junior and senior years. Over his outstanding senior year, he registerd 68 tackles, 1 interception,4 pass defenses, and 12 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. One of three finalists for the 2002 Thorpe Award, he is hailed as the school's finest defensive back since the Ronnie Lott era (1977-80).

Kirwan's NFL Draft Analysis By Position: Safeties
    by Pat Kirwan, NFL.com
    posted 04/17/2003

Simply stated, to be a first-round candidate at safety a player must be versatile. He must be able to cover the deep middle of the field in the passing game, slide up to the linebacker level and play the run, line up man-to-man against backs like Tiki Barber or a receiver like Jerry Porter, have a knack for sacking the QB when his blitz is called, and be smart enough to make all the adjustments.

Suffice to say, not many guys can do it all.

Ironically, safeties are not usually high first-round draft picks, but the top one or two candidates settle for the latter half of the first round.

What can be said about top draft picks at the safety position is that they will play a lot of football very early in their careers. The top safeties picked in the past two years are Ed Reed (Baltimore), Roy Williams (Dallas), Adam Archuleta (St. Louis) and Derrick Gibson (Oakland) -- they averaged participating in 77 percent of the defensive plays for their teams this past season. As a rule, only offensive linemen play as much as a team's starting safeties. So, if a team decides to take a safety in the first round, they know he's going to be on the field right away. Safeties don't get the learning curve a QB would get -- they line up, play and offensive coordinators know all too well how to expose any weaknesses.

The two probable candidates to become first-rounders in this draft are Troy Polamalu from USC and Mike Doss from Ohio State. I have watched Doss play on tape a few times and I know Polamalu personally. Doss comes to play, and Polamalu has rare character to go along with rare athletic ability. Both players are on the short side at 5-foot-10, but both are considered better run-support players than they are pass defenders.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

Or,....

Troy Polamalu
    DB | (5-10, 206, 4.3 | USC
    By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Played football, baseball and basketball in high school. Saw action at safety, linebacker and on special teams in 1999 as an 18-year-old freshman. Started every game in '00 and '01. Had 12 stops and a blocked punt in 1999; 83 tackles and two interceptions, including one he returned for a score, in '00; and 98 tackles, three interceptions, two of which he returned for scores, and three blocked punts in '01, when he made some major All-America teams, won team-MVP honors and was an All-Pacific-10 choice. Played with a bad ankle for most of the year in '02 and played in the deep half 90 percent of the time. Recorded 68 tackles, including nine for loss, three sacks, one interception, four passes broken up and three forced fumbles. Did not test at the Combine because of injuries to left hamstring and right ankle.

Positives: Strongest player on the team on a pound-for-pound basis. Has a 600-pound squat. Real warrior who is totally dedicated to getting better. Good football intelligence and flexibility. Great motor and competitiveness. Excellent in run support and tackling. Will wrap up. Can backpedal and cover. Gets a good jump and can adjust to the ball. Has good range. Intense, physical and tough with a high motor. Strong. Good planting and driving. Can cover tight ends and backs. Very good punt blocker. Explosive. Big 10¼-inch hands. Big-time hitter who has receivers hearing footsteps. An extra linebacker vs. the run. Excellent speed and suddenness to close. Showed improvement every year. Special-teams captain as a junior and senior. Can cover most slot receivers. Instinctive and can accelerate.

Negatives: Short for the NFL and is not a real ballhawk. Misses plays because he is out of position. Does not read keys well and diagnose. Struggles covering man deep. Plays out of control and lacks great change of direction. Skills will translate to the NFL, but measurables might not. Gets carried away. Prefers setting up a well-timed hit to break up a play over going for an interception. Does not have great playing speed and range.
    Summary: Best safety at USC since 1980, when Ronnie Lott and Dennis Smith were the greatest safety tandem in the college game, and Lott, Smith, Jeff Fisher and Joey Browner were the greatest secondary in school history.

Sounds to me a lot like
    what many "pundits" are now saying about Taylor merely one down season after they were just calling him the "next Sean Taylor" and a top five pick.

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Touche' Gentlemen, Touche'. It is still a scary pick though as I did watch that bowl game and Mays looked horrible.
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

Hey Pitt, no excuses...in truth this was in fact not a considerably productive year for Taylor. But i respect his loyalty in terms of returning for his senior season and even risking as much with the pressure of "not getting injured and or not living up to exceptionally high standards" over his head. Which i still feel he handled relatively well, though a bit more maturity/wisdom would have served him better in a sense of him just letting go of all of the expectations and just playing football.

But to me,...though wisdom is gained from experience,..other things must be almost inherent to an extent to maximize one's potential.

Bottom line IMO is,...this kid not only has all of the physical tools , but the drive, intelligence, will, "pedigree" and character to adapt and overcome at the next level. He's not a guy with 7th round/FA level talent being expected to come in and hopefully overacheive 3-4 years down the line.

Damn,...that "lightweight" sounded as though i just "Unleashed Hell". (Tomlin your a stand up guy,.....just stop "playing" when it comes to the Draft. These kids are your foundation dude) lol

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I will go into mourning if New England gets Eric Berry and we get Taylor Mays.
    same here.

I really question Mays' performance at the next level. Or maybe what I question is his commitment to being coached up.

He seems to rely upon his incredible athletic abilities, and those alone.

Also, to me he seems a bit of a "tweener". OLB/SS- does he have the coverage skills to play Safety in the NFL?? How about the size to play OLB???

anyway- that is all I've got to say about that.

Otherwise- Czar- it looks to be a well thought out mock. You're hired!
    Go back and look what was said about Troy P. Same things being said about Mays, how has that worked out????

IMO Mays would be a great pick because he of all the top ranked safety prospects has the ability to play both SS and FS. With Troy's recent injury issues, which aren't going away, Mays would be a great asset being able to swing between FS and SS. He would also be able to play SS and let Troy go to FS where the physical toll on his body would be less.

I would have no issue whatsoever with Mays at #18.
    Both you and Czar make good points in respect to Troy coming out of USC- and of course, Thomas' stature. (let it be known... I'm not a big proponent of drafting Earl Thomas- as I'm not certain he fits the mold for LeBeau's scheme... and I think FS can be effectively filled by several players currently on the roster- if only for the short term should Ryan Clark not be resigned)

I guess my thought process on Mays center around questions about the player, and greater need/value at 1.18.

as follows:

first- he is a strong safety... and typically a solid SS can be found later in the draft.
    (yes, I know Troy was taken 1st rd.... but Troy is a very unique player)

second- Taylor Mays, for all the talent he has- had a fairly average senior year.
    Why is this??
    Huge loss of talent on the D side of the ball? Lingering injuries not made public? Lack of effort/desire??
    Not sure- but it raises questions, and I guess that is a big part of the issue for me.

Also- and this is really the key to me - at 18 unless by some fluke one of the top OT, DT, CBs fall- I think the team should trade down, if possible. This is done with the intent of taking some of the players on the boards that are rated lower- (eg... Odrick, Pouncey, Robinson, Weatherspoon, Spikes...etc) and acquiring more picks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Barring any considerable drop offs in 40 times for the DB's,.....here are my final 1st round projections.

1. Rams: Jimmy Clausen QB
    2. Lions: Russell Okung OT
    3. Buccanneers: Ndamukong Suh DT
    4. Redskins: Sam Bradford QB
    5: Chiefs: Bryan Bulaga OT
    6. Seahawks: Anthony Davis OT
    7. Browns: Gerald MCcoy DT
    8. Raiders: Bruce Campbell OT
    9. Bills: Dez Bryant WR
    10. Patriots: Eric Berry S
    11. Broncos: Rolando McClain ILB
    12. Dolphins: Dan Williams NT
    13. 49ers: Joe Haden CB
    14. Seahawks: Derrick Morgan DE
    15. Giants: Earl Thomas S/CB
    16. 49ers: CJ Spiller RB
    17. Titans: Jason Pierre Paul DE
    18. Steelers: Taylor Mays S
    19. Falcons: Jared Odrick DT
    20. Texans: Kyle Wilson CB
    21. Bengals: Jermaine Gresham TE
    22. Jaguars: Tim Tebow QB
    23. Packers: Trent Williams OT
    24. Eagles: Carlos Dunlap DE
    25. Ravens: Damien Williams WR
    26. Cardinals: Terrence Cody NT
    27. Cowboys: Mike Iupati OG
    28. Chargers: Ryan Matthews RB
    29. Jets: Brandon Graham OLB
    30: Vikings: Patrick Robinson CB
    31: Colts: Sean Weatherspoon LB
    32. Saints: Brian Price DT

I'll bet you a box of chocolate macadamia nuts that if the Rams select a QB at #1 it will be Sam Bradford and not Jimmy Clausen.
    I'll take that bet Hawaiian. :P Bradford does indeed have a exceptional skill set,...but Clausen is the more NFL ready of the two. He's played from under center in a pro style offense,..whereas Bradford (like Tebow) comes from a spread system.

Now in truth,..this isn't as big a deal as many would like to believe, (as most of these kids from major programs have a better grasp of Pro systems than they get credit for) but in my opinion,...even a slight edge is often edge enough.

ok, got yourself a bet. i can drive right down the street to buy some chocolate macadamia nuts in case i lose, are you able to buy them in your neck of the woods or would you like to substitute something more local for you to pay up with WHEN you lose...
    I'll probably be hard pressed to find any of the quality that you would be able to get your hands on there Hawaiian, and i'm not on the west coast anymore,...but i'll make something happen. (Maybe hit up Whole Foods or something)

That is,.....IF i were to lose, which of course i cannot even conceive of,....

what's up Czar? Whole Foods is one of my favorite stores, there's a lot of food items you can get there that will satisfy our bet...

Browns to consider trading up … One of the early stories of this week’s combine were reports that just about every team with a top 5 pick was looking to trade down at this coming April’s draft. It takes two to dance, though, and there haven’t been many teams willing to move up into that range in recent years because of the big tickets that high picks demand. However, with no clear-cut starting QB on the roster and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford reportedly gaining momentum as a potential franchise QB, Cleveland G.M. Tom Heckert has stated publicly that the Browns, who have the 7th pick this year, haven’t rule out trading up from that spot in order to acquire Bradford or another marquee player. If nothing else, Heckert acknowledged that Bradford, who he described as “a big kid, he's accurate, he won a lot of football games, he's a leader” has “all the tools to put it together“ and emerge as a true franchise QB, although Heckert also cautioned that “until he does it you never know."
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha