Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am officially back on the Trent Williams Bandwagon

I am officially back on the Trent Williams Bandwagon

Times from second group of offensive line…

Trent Williams, Oklahoma – 4.85, 4.81

Marshall Newhouse, TCU – 4.99, 4.94

Russell Okung, Oklahoma St. – 5.15, 5.09

Maurkice Pouncey, Florida – 5.12, 5.19

Roger Saffold, Indiana – 5.12, 5.22

Jared Veldheer, Hillsdale – 5.04, 5.00

- In drills, Oklahoma tackle Trent williams continued his impressive day and looked very athletic. He moved extremely well and displayed terrific footwork in pass pro. TCU’s Marshall Newhouse and Oklahoma St.’s Russell Okung also performed well. Although, Okung suffered a leg injury and did not finish the workout.
    2015 Draft

1) P.J. Williams-CB-Florida St.
    2) Jordan Phillips-DT-Oklahoma
    3) Geneo Grissom-OLB-Oklahoma
    4) Jeff Heuerman-TE-OSU
    5)
    Clint Trickett-QB-WVU
    6) Justin Coleman-CB-Tenn
    7) Spencer Roth-P-Baylor

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: I am officially back on the Trent Williams Bandwagon

I still have Trent Williams behind Russell Okung, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, and Bryan Bulaga, but I would not argue with any of those 5 guys at #18.

I would have to rank him ahead of Bulaga and Campbell. No one seems to think Campbell wants to play football very badly....and he disappears in big games.
    2015 Draft

4) Jeff Heuerman-TE-OSU
    5)
    Clint Trickett-QB-WVU
    7) Spencer Roth-P-Baylor

NFL Combine: Trent Williams interview

Posted by berrytramel on February 25, 2010M at 1:27 pm

OU offensive tackle Trent Williams took the podium at the NFL Combine today. Here is a transcript of Williams’ interview.

You played against Nebraska, what were your impressions of Suh and is he worthy of the top pick?

Williams: “Yeah. He’s great, man. We couldn’t stop him. That says a lot.”
    What was it about him?

“Power. Strength. Pure strength. I mean, it was just we didn’t have no match for him inside. It kind of looked too easy. And I couldn’t do too much; I was out there on the edge. I was helpless watching.”

Is he one of the best players you ever saw?

“On the opposing team, yes.”

Is he better than (Gerald) McCoy?

“Obviously, I have a biased opinion, so it’s kind of hard.”

What do you think of McCoy?

“He has power and quickness and he has a load to move he can use. He’s so quick off the ball. He’s really a nightmare. As Suh is. But yeah, he’s a nightmare also.”

So you’d take McCoy No. 1 if you were a GM?

“Yeah, I would.”

How much did it help you to play both tackles?

“Oh, it benefited me greatly. I mean, even playing center has some benefit to me. At first, I didn’t realize how much it can do for me, but it really showed my versatility.”

How would you describe your senior year?

The team had the injury bug, including myself. I mean, the Lord blessed me; I didn’t have any great injuries. Just had a bunch of nagging injuries. But when I got healthy, I think I produced well. It was kind of tough sledding at the beginning of the season with a lot of nagging injuries.”

What are you hoping to accomplish here in Indianapolis?

“What everybody’s hoping to accomplish, move up in the draft.”

What about your strengths and your weaknesses?

“Strengths, I’m athletic. I don’t know if I want to discuss my weaknesses on camera.”

Which side do you fit better on, right or left?

“Left. Because I played left my whole life (before Oklahoma). It’s kind of a little more weird moving over to the right (his freshman through junior seasons) than it was moving to the left (his senior season).”

A lot of critics suggest you struggled in 2009. What would you say to those people?

“Just prove ‘em wrong. The day I get in camp, it’ll be – that’s where I’ll start proving ‘em wrong.”

This is a deep class of tackles, how do you see yourself among them?

“Me, personally, I would think that I would rank towards the top. Not saying that I’m the best or anything, but I think that’s what the combine is for, to help separate the competition.”

What teams have you met with so far?

“We haven’t done any formal interviews. Just a lot of informal talking.”

What was your favorite team growing up?

“You know, I’m a Texas guy, so Dallas Cowboys, everybody watched them.”

Who’s your agent?

“Eugene Parker.”

Are you determined to play on the left side, or would you settle for the right side?
    “I’m determined. I want to be one of the best.”

Will you be best on the left?

“Yeah, I think.”

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I still have Trent Williams behind Russell Okung, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, and Bryan Bulaga, but I would not argue with any of those 5 guys at #18.
    I've watched all of these guys play. I think Trent Williams was dinged up a bit this season. He was very impressive last year. Campbell gets little push and whiffs in space. He doesn't look like he wants to run block. I only like Campbell at LT and only for a team that passes first. Williams can be effective at either tackle or guard. I think he has a much higher ceiling than Bulaga or Davis.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

I would fear that Bruce Campbell is a better version of Jamain Stephens. Campbell does not seem to have the work ethic to be special. Too many red flags popping up about this same perception.

If he turns out to be great let it be for someone else. Too much risk IMO.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Williams was very impressive at the combine backing up his play on the field. I fear he will be gone by #18.

Never fall into the trap. The players slot on their game film and all star games. The combine only adjusts their stock. Campbell is a specimen. He started as a late 1st round pick. He looks athletic on film. Very good on the edge in pass protection. He can get to the 2nd level in run blocking but can't move anyone off the LOS and needs work in the running game. Add in his injury history, I don't see how his combine workouts make him a top 15 talent. Buyer beware. In three years, he could look like the 1st OT that should have been taken. Who knows. But his workout suggested he should have been dominant on the field...But he wasn't. That is the flag. Why? I think his combine numbers actually add to his questions. Not answer any. Just my opinion...

Hmmmmm,.... spend an 18th pick overall on a RIGHT Tackle when our O-line,.. though not quite the best in the league,... is very serviceable and no where near the degree of a liability that our secondary and lack defensive depth are?

Uuuuuuh,.....for lack of more emphatic words,......."HEEELL to the NO".
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Hmmmmm,.... spend an 18th pick overall on a RIGHT Tackle when our O-line,.. though not quite the best in the league,... is very serviceable and no where near the liabilities that our secondary and defensive depth are?

Agreed! But more so because is Trent Williams the highest rated player at #18 on the Steelers board?? I'd be willing to bet he isnt...and that would make picking him at 18 a mistake......oh and plus he also played below his ability at times. That's kind of a red flag thing...ya know??
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Hmmmmm,.... spend an 18th pick overall on a RIGHT Tackle when our O-line,.. though not quite the best in the league,... is very serviceable and no where near the liabilities that our secondary and defensive depth are?

Agreed! But more so because is Trent Williams the highest rated player at #18 on the Steelers board?? I'd be willing to bet he isnt...and that would make picking him at 18 a mistake......oh and plus he also played below his ability at times. That's kind of a red flag thing...ya know??

I couldnt disagree more....although I doubt he will be there at 18 I think he would def. be the best player on their board if he was....Colbert has been on record as saying he thinks the defensive side of the draft is extremely deep. The offensive side thin. Translation get me an OL early ...get D value in 2-7. Not to mention the Sooners OL coach says Williams is a better prospect than Loadholt was last year.
    2015 Draft

4) Jeff Heuerman-TE-OSU
    5)
    Clint Trickett-QB-WVU
    7) Spencer Roth-P-Baylor