Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In case anyone did not hear this interview Ben with Madden

Re: In case anyone did not hear this interview Ben with Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Ben saw limited practice time before the Ravens game. He was not a full participant that week but didn't "miss" a practice.

I don't think the offense is as bad as people think, needs a tweak here and there. Dump Spaeth, leave Wallace on the field, and start using Mendenhall rushing wide instead of just between the tackles. They seemed to get away from that after the Denver game.

Ben not wanting to learn a new offense is one thing, but one also has to consider that if Arians were to go, that's also a third system for Holmes, Miller, and a second system for guys like Mendenhall and Wallace who are just getting started also. You need some stability as an offense, in personnel and in system.
    Good point. Better to keep the terminology and philosophy consistent and just find someone else to call the plays.

Sooooo....fire Arians next year and promote a guy from the staff who doesn't have his head up his backside. A guy to run the same system but actually run it well rather than be bailed out by the talent on the field.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    Ben saw limited practice time before the Ravens game. He was not a full participant that week but didn't "miss" a practice.

I don't think the offense is as bad as people think, needs a tweak here and there. Dump Spaeth, leave Wallace on the field, and start using Mendenhall rushing wide instead of just between the tackles. They seemed to get away from that after the Denver game.

Ben not wanting to learn a new offense is one thing, but one also has to consider that if Arians were to go, that's also a third system for Holmes, Miller, and a second system for guys like Mendenhall and Wallace who are just getting started also. You need some stability as an offense, in personnel and in system.
    Good point. Better to keep the terminology and philosophy consistent and just find someone else to call the plays.

Sooooo....fire Arians next year and promote a guy from the staff who doesn't have his head up his backside. A guy to run the same system but actually run it well rather than be bailed out by the talent on the field.
    How about the D shows in the fourth and we all brag about how great the offense is inspite of BA?

A new OC running the same system would be a new guy to hate when the players don't execute. Fans always hate the OC.. ALWAYS!!!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

How about the D shows in the fourth and we all brag about how great the offense is inspite of BA?

A new OC running the same system would be a new guy to hate when the players don't execute. Fans always hate the OC.. ALWAYS!!!
    It's easy to blame the OC when they make completely boneheaded calls (repeatedly) given specific game situations.

Also, it is easy to blame the OC when they insist upon an offensive scheme which seemingly ignores the actual physical abilities and limitations of the individuals playing within the scheme.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL

It's easy to blame the OC when they make completely boneheaded calls (repeatedly) given specific game situations.

Also, it is easy to blame the OC when they insist upon an offensive scheme which seemingly ignores the actual physical abilities and limitations of the individuals playing within the scheme.
    All OC's make boneheaded calls repeatedly in given specific games situations. Do you watch other games? There were situations that Ben made the calls or changed the calls. Who do we blame for those situations? Should they take that responsibility away from their best offensive player and leader of the offense?

I don't think they ignore the physical abilities and limitation of the individuals playing. I can show you situations where they actually play to their strengths. There are times they don't play to their strengths. This type of stuff can be said for every team in the league. They've shown enough good things in which they can build on.

I will always stand by my statement that no one will every agree with the play calling 100% of the time. People complained bout the play calling under Cowher, the complain today, and they will complain in the future.

Legend

outside of the cleveland game the second time around most have nothing to complain about. Sure we want to score everytime we get the ball but it's not going to happen.

what is being ignored? Smashmouth football? Throwing too much? Throwing on 3rd and 1?

ALL teams throw on 3rd and 1 in empty sets.. I have seen NO, Dallas, Indy, etc.. all throw on 3rd and 1 from the empty.

I may not like it or see the logic in it but if a bunch of the "great OC's" do it there must be a reason.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

All OC's make boneheaded calls repeatedly in given specific games situations. Do you watch other games? There were situations that Ben made the calls or changed the calls. Who do we blame for those situations? Should they take that responsibility away from their best offensive player and leader of the offense?

I don't think they ignore the physical abilities and limitation of the individuals playing. I can show you situations where they actually play to their strengths. There are times they don't play to their strengths. This type of stuff can be said for every team in the league. They've shown enough good things in which they can build on.

I will always stand by my statement that no one will every agree with the play calling 100% of the time. People complained bout the play calling under Cowher, the complain today, and they will complain in the future.

don't misunderstand me- I was not giving Ben a free pass.

IMO, he is both part of the solution and part of the problem.

With Arians, his deficiencies seem more obvious, and his successes ... well, we attribute them to Ben.

Gailey, Mularkey and Whiz weren't perfect, but they were light years better than BA when it comes to situational play calling and in-game adjustments.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8

Gailey, Mularkey and Whiz weren't perfect, but they were light years better than BA when it comes to situational play calling and in-game adjustments.
    really? You sure it wasn't due to having half azzz QB's and sub par WR's?

Outside of Whiz of course... and a ton of people hated how he "managed" Ben.

Hall of Famer

Someone needs to inform Mr. Roethlisberger that his offense wasn't perfect last year.

Does he know that they that failed to score the league per game average in nearly 30% of their games?

Does he know they failed to score more than 6 pts against a pathetic Browns defense when the season was in the balance?

I agree with others, his comments smack of "we did our share, someone needs to look on the other side of the ball".

I would rather have heard him say "we have a good offense, but we need to figure out how to do more to help the team out of some of its struggles".

Legend

That's a load of crap.

It's amazing how Chan Gailey got "better" as our OC once he left. This was the same guy who was SHREDDED by fans and media when he had Kordell throw deep up 14-10 with the ball against Denver in the AFC title game when Jerome was kicking their ass.

I'm also sick of hearing how the Steelers "season was on the line against the Browns". As if it wasn't when they lost to the pathetic Raiders 4 days prior.

The defense gave up too many points following our own scores in the 4th quarter. But somehow that became the offense's fault too.