Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Ben had to throw vs the time our defense allowed

Benchwarmer

Re: Time Ben had to throw vs the time our defense allowed

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Question: Didn't Rod Woodson play in DL's defense for a while here in Pittsburgh? ...and to follow up, how many INTs did he grab while playing in it?
    LeBeau was d-backs coach 92-94 and DC for 95 and 96.

My memory may not be as good as others here, but I seem to recall Woodson doing a lot of "baiting" for his picks. Playing off and then seemingly coming from out of nowhere to grab the ball.

Also, dude's a HoF'er. They don't grow on trees. Woodson, imo, was a one of a kind athlete.

Agreed. What DB talent has the Steelers had since Woodson? What CB since then have been at least Pro bowlers? Steelers Do Not have good CB,s. Ike is probably the best to come along since, but he seems to get butt hurt alot if he gets called out and then proceed to play like crap for a few games..
    Thats where Troy comes in, for the last 8 years we've had that football machine in our backfield "making plays', But he makes everyone else around him look better. Because hes one of the greatest football players I have ever seen. Hes a lynchpin, you remove that pin and everything falls apart. Thats where the FO and coaches fail, there is NO ONE else in that backfield that can step up and play half as good as Troy. He is TOO important and i think that is the failure.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbanger
    I think the blame goes on the DB's, and poor MLB play. I believe the Steelers were #2 in the NFL in sacks. So QB pressure shouldnt of been a problem. Total lack of making plays in the D's backfield was. NO INT by a CB untill week 17. Troy was leading our D in INT. Thats sad.
    My question is why, year in and year out, no matter how good the D is stats wise, Why the hell do they always have problems on 3rd down. I think that is lack of our CB being able to line up on a receiver,smash him in the mouth on the LOS and cover him man to man.
    They give these 7-10 yard cusions on these guys and they only need to get 5 yards. Its gotta be lack of skills at the CB position, I find it hard to believe Mr. Lebeau just ignores this fact, i believe he would rather give em a first down instead of a big play for a TD. because He knows our CB will get burned playing receivers that close.

It wasn't our pressure in the first 3 quarters that was the problem. It was the lack of pressure our front 7 got in the 4th quarter that exposed our very average secondary.

Legend

Question: Didn't Rod Woodson play in DL's defense for a while here in Pittsburgh? ...and to follow up, how many INTs did he grab while playing in it?

My memory may not be as good as others here, but I seem to recall Woodson doing a lot of "baiting" for his picks. Playing off and then seemingly coming from out of nowhere to grab the ball.

Also, dude's a HoF'er. They don't grow on trees. Woodson, imo, was a one of a kind athlete.

Agreed. What DB talent has the Steelers had since Woodson? What CB since then have been at least Pro bowlers? Steelers Do Not have good CB,s. Ike is probably the best to come along since, but he seems to get butt hurt alot if he gets called out and then proceed to play like crap for a few games..
    Thats where Troy comes in, for the last 8 years we've had that football machine in our backfield "making plays', But he makes everyone else around him look better. Because hes one of the greatest football players I have ever seen. Hes a lynchpin, you remove that pin and everything falls apart. Thats where the FO and coaches fail, there is NO ONE else in that backfield that can step up and play half as good as Troy. He is TOO important and i think that is the failure.
    Drafting stud corners is not easy. Especially when we are continually picking at the bottom of every round.

I'm not a draftnick, but what I keep seeing from people here is that we'll not have a shot at any star CB talent at #18 even.

We need a top 10 pick, but that means a bad, bad season. I don't think most people here would survive a season that resulted in a top 10 pick.

Pro Bowler

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":17w647y6

Drafting stud corners is not easy. Especially when we are continually picking at the bottom of every round.

I'm not a draftnick, but what I keep seeing from people here is that we'll not have a shot at any star CB talent at #18 even.

We need a top 10 pick, but that means a bad, bad season. I don't think most people here would survive a season that resulted in a top 10 pick.

[/quote:17w647y6]

I agree, there are only a handful of good/great CB's in the league. Another fact that compounds the problem is that the overall talent at WR is superior to the overall talent at CB. I think the Steelers know it so they try to disguise coverages and get pressure.

Seems that some people want the Steelers to manufacture great players out of thin air. If the talent is not there, it is not there. I do believe they tried to draft players of value at every position(based on where they drafted). They are not going to break the bank or make a costly a mistake for one or two players. The simple fact is that every team has issues and deficiencies at different positions. All teams try to compensate different ways for deficiencies.

Legend

[quote=BURGH86STEEL]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":21lrdoq1

I agree, there are only a handful of good/great CB's in the league. Another fact that compounds the problem is that the overall talent at WR is superior to the overall talent at CB. I think the Steelers know it so they try to disguise coverages and get pressure.

Seems that some people want the Steelers to manufacture great players out of thin air. If the talent is not there, it is not there. I do believe they tried to draft players of value at every position(based on where they drafted). They are not going to break the bank or make a costly a mistake for one or two players. The simple fact is that every team has issues and deficiencies at different positions. All teams try to compensate different ways for deficiencies.[/quote:21lrdoq1]

Spot on. Every bit of it.

Only thing I'd add is not only is the talent at WR superior, the rules FAVOR the receivers as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The issues with our pass defense are easy to figure out.

1. The league is not calling holding penalties and LeBeau's zone blitz absolutely relies on getting to the QB fast to be successful
    2. The fact that we aren't getting to the QB exposes our defensive backs who are required to play 8-10 yards off the receivers essentially forcing them to be passive in pass defense and react versus attack to the receivers. We essentially give up the easy short reception and let receivers try to get yards after the catch.
    3. When you combine #1 and #2 you aren't forcing the QB into mistakes and turnovers and therefore allow sustained long drives which especially late in the game wears down our defense causing them to make mistakes or misplays, i.e. five 4th Quarter collapses by the defense last season.
    Excellent analysis O. The key for this type of defense to work is pressuring the QB and stuffing the run. You don't even have to get a lot of sacks, even though that certainly helps, but you hope to pressure the QB into making a mistake. By not giving up big plays and keeping the pressure on the QB you are betting that in a 12-14 play drive he will make a mistake that either gets picked off or is an inaccurate throw that stops the drive.

The offense on the other hand is a different story. The first half of the first game against the Titans it looked like the same old offensive line. Then in the second half things started to change. The line started giving Ben a lot of time to throw the ball. In fact Ben seemd surprised by it and he started to develop happy feet. He didn't seem to know what to do now that D-lineman weren't draped all over him. I think over all the offensive line did a good job in pass protection. Sure they had their moments but it was far better than the year before.

The run blocking took longer to blossom. I think it was around the 3rd or 4th game that you could see an improvement in that area but they still have a long way to go. That is why I think if there is still a top 3 OT on the board when it's our turn we should take him. If not we need to look at the safety position.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>