Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Ben had to throw vs the time our defense allowed

Time Ben had to throw vs the time our defense allowed

OK,
    I can only get away with a question like this in the offseason but does anyone know of a source that has this statistic?

Its a bit ridiculous but important as hell. In football stats can be misleading but this metric usually holds up.

I have actually stop watched Ben at different times of the year and shockingly the time before the pocket collapses was approx 3-4 seconds! I know that his style is different and he is so damn big and strong that he feels he could buy extra time with moving around the pocket which he has proven. Having said that he was having time to look downfield to wait for the receiver to get open (or be covered) more regulalry this year.

Dont get me wrong there were the usual mis assignments and wiffs by Max but I beleive we improved a little this year. The other nice thing is that Ben was really getting comfortable to dump off underneath to Rashard & Moore as opposed to just throwing it away or making a high risk/reward type throw in coverage.

My point is I believe there was more time this year but its difficult to quantify without true numbers backing it up. Would it make sense to have an alarm go off in practice to sugnal to Ben everytime we clock 3 seconds? I dont know, Ben is a playmaker (love his style) and al long as he could get back up after these hits then let him be.

ON DEFENSE

I am still lost as to why our passing defense made for a liability. I do not know all the intricacies but is the conclusion that Troy is the X factor in our system that when he is out both corners and safeties are exposed?

Maybe with the loss of Aaron Smith, Foote played a role also. This was the 1st year in a while where I could remember teams running laterally on us and being productive. I have seen the James gang getting beat to the corner (Cleveland) which really looke like they were injured.

Maybe its a combination of things but I really do no think our Dline were giving the QB this year anymore time then last year but I haven nothing to defend my case to argue my point.

I know with sacks and completions the 1st thing you say is "Damn Ben had no time" or "Damn the QB is having too much time to throw". It would have been interesting to see if this was not as obvious as we thought.

Agree or disagree?

Legend

Re: Time Ben had to throw vs the time our defense allowed

The issues with our pass defense are easy to figure out.

1. The league is not calling holding penalties and LeBeau's zone blitz absolutely relies on getting to the QB fast to be successful
    2. The fact that we aren't getting to the QB exposes our defensive backs who are required to play 8-10 yards off the receivers essentially forcing them to be passive in pass defense and react versus attack to the receivers. We essentially give up the easy short reception and let receivers try to get yards after the catch.
    3. When you combine #1 and #2 you aren't forcing the QB into mistakes and turnovers and therefore allow sustained long drives which especially late in the game wears down our defense causing them to make mistakes or misplays, i.e. five 4th Quarter collapses by the defense last season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The issues with our pass defense are easy to figure out.

1. The league is not calling holding penalties and LeBeau's zone blitz absolutely relies on getting to the QB fast to be successful
    2. The fact that we aren't getting to the QB exposes our defensive backs who are required to play 8-10 yards off the receivers essentially forcing them to be passive in pass defense and react versus attack to the receivers. We essentially give up the easy short reception and let receivers try to get yards after the catch.
    3. When you combine #1 and #2 you aren't forcing the QB into mistakes and turnovers and therefore allow sustained long drives which especially late in the game wears down our defense causing them to make mistakes or misplays, i.e. five 4th Quarter collapses by the defense last season.

yep-

but it is also important to recognize:

the defense with Troy

and

the defense without Troy

two very different animals.

His presence on the field doesn't just alter coverage schemes- but blitz packages as well.

Benchwarmer

I think the blame goes on the DB's, and poor MLB play. I believe the Steelers were #2 in the NFL in sacks. So QB pressure shouldnt of been a problem. Total lack of making plays in the D's backfield was. NO INT by a CB untill week 17. Troy was leading our D in INT. Thats sad.
    My question is why, year in and year out, no matter how good the D is stats wise, Why the hell do they always have problems on 3rd down. I think that is lack of our CB being able to line up on a receiver,smash him in the mouth on the LOS and cover him man to man.
    They give these 7-10 yard cusions on these guys and they only need to get 5 yards. Its gotta be lack of skills at the CB position, I find it hard to believe Mr. Lebeau just ignores this fact, i believe he would rather give em a first down instead of a big play for a TD. because He knows our CB will get burned playing receivers that close.

Legend

Our D gets no pressure without Smiity + Lebeau is more conservative without his Polamalu safety blanket to cover everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Our D gets no pressure without Smiity + Lebeau is more conservative without his Polamalu safety blanket to cover everything up.

very few NFL defenses are good enough to withstand the loss of their best D-Lineman and their Pro Bowl safety.

and no 4th quarter lead is secure when the opposing QB looks at our defensive backfield and sees guys like Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, William Gay and Joe Burnett out there.

it's time to upgrade our secondary in this year's draft, especially at the safety position where we have virtually no depth whatsoever.

I think that is lack of our CB being able to line up on a receiver,smash him in the mouth on the LOS and cover him man to man.
    They give these 7-10 yard cusions on these guys and they only need to get 5 yards. Its gotta be lack of skills at the CB position, I find it hard to believe Mr. Lebeau just ignores this fact, i believe he would rather give em a first down instead of a big play for a TD. because He knows our CB will get burned playing receivers that close.

Exactly.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellbanger
    I think the blame goes on the DB's, and poor MLB play. I believe the Steelers were #2 in the NFL in sacks. So QB pressure shouldnt of been a problem. Total lack of making plays in the D's backfield was. NO INT by a CB untill week 17. Troy was leading our D in INT. Thats sad.
    My question is why, year in and year out, no matter how good the D is stats wise, Why the hell do they always have problems on 3rd down. I think that is lack of our CB being able to line up on a receiver,smash him in the mouth on the LOS and cover him man to man.

It doesn't matter who we have at CB. LeBeau always plays it that way. It's his scheme and it's been a very successful one. I'm not a fan of that cushion either but who am I to argue with a guy who's D is responsible for 2 of the 6 Lombardi Trophies in our case, along with many playoff appearances?

Question: Didn't Rod Woodson play in DL's defense for a while here in Pittsburgh? ...and to follow up, how many INTs did he grab while playing in it?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Question: Didn't Rod Woodson play in DL's defense for a while here in Pittsburgh? ...and to follow up, how many INTs did he grab while playing in it?
    LeBeau was d-backs coach 92-94 and DC for 95 and 96.

My memory may not be as good as others here, but I seem to recall Woodson doing a lot of "baiting" for his picks. Playing off and then seemingly coming from out of nowhere to grab the ball.

Also, dude's a HoF'er. They don't grow on trees. Woodson, imo, was a one of a kind athlete.