Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combine countdown: potential 1st Round picks

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Combine countdown: potential 1st Round picks

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Yeah Cody would be a real possibility if Tomlin was Cowher. But, by history he isn't going there with his first round pick. If he decides to go with NT...he will grab Williams...the sure thing despite the lower ceiling.
    I disagree that Williams has a lower ceiling. Williams is reliable whereas Cody will be a nightmare trying to keep on the field from an injury and conditioning standpoint. IMO Cody has reached his ceiling and will be nothing more than a two down run stuffer in a league that passes more than it runs. Cody will be a total non-factor in pass defense where Williams can get after the QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Yeah Cody would be a real possibility if Tomlin was Cowher. But, by history he isn't going there with his first round pick. If he decides to go with NT...he will grab Williams...the sure thing despite the lower ceiling.
    I disagree that Williams has a lower ceiling. Williams is reliable whereas Cody will be a nightmare trying to keep on the field from an injury and conditioning standpoint. IMO Cody has reached his ceiling and will be nothing more than a two down run stuffer in a league that passes more than it runs. Cody will be a total non-factor in pass defense where Williams can get after the QB.
    I agree.....if we do go after a DT, I want a full timer, not one that comes out in pass situations (like Hampton).
    [url="http://steelersal.forummotion.com/forum.htm"]http://steelersal.forummotion.com/forum.htm[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some good NFL coaching could knock the fat off of that boy. Take the big NT in the first and Pouncey in the second and let them beat the crap out of each other for a year while the vets play. Then pick up Rolle in the third...

I see the makings of a bad mock draft!
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    I agree.....if we do go after a DT, I want a full timer, not one that comes out in pass situations (like Hampton).
    With the rules favoring the pass in the NFL LeBeau likes to go to packages that have more linebackers and d-backs on the field in obvious passing situations.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    With the rules favoring the pass in the NFL LeBeau likes to go to packages that have more linebackers and d-backs on the field in obvious passing situations.
    I understand that and thats what I want to continue to happen, but if we take a guy in the first round and pay him the big bucks, I want him to be the complete package...not a part timer by only being a run stuffer but also being able to get to the quarterback.
    [url="http://steelersal.forummotion.com/forum.htm"]http://steelersal.forummotion.com/forum.htm[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I understand that and thats what I want to continue to happen, but if we take a guy in the first round and pay him the big bucks, I want him to be the complete package...not a part timer by only being a run stuffer but also being able to get to the quarterback.
    But that's not a NT's job in the 3-4. That's why they come out on passing downs.

Legend

User Info Menu

They come out in OBVIOUS passing downs but its not like teams now are running on 1st and 2nd down and then just passing on 3rd. There is no OBVIOUS passing downs in this league anymore. Most teams are passing on any down which makes a big fat run stuffer less effective if he can't get to the QB.

As the league goes more to increased passing and spread offenses, the value of the traditional NT becomes less because he is playing less. One could argue that seeing the NT in the game is a read that QBs make to switch up to a pass play.

Reference previous points about my continuing call for the 4-3.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

They come out in OBVIOUS passing downs but its not like teams now are running on 1st and 2nd down and then just passing on 3rd. There is no OBVIOUS passing downs in this league anymore. Most teams are passing on any down which makes a big fat run stuffer less effective if he can't get to the QB.

As the league goes more to increased passing and spread offenses, the value of the traditional NT becomes less because he is playing less. One could argue that seeing the NT in the game is a read that QBs make to switch up to a pass play.

Reference previous points about my continuing call for the 4-3.
    It's no different with the 4-3. See the Williams "brothers" in MN for that. One of those big DTs is a run stuffer much like the 3-4 NT and the other is more like a 3-4 DE.

There's also the fatigue factor. Teams rotate on the DL for a reason. Those big bodies get tired. You can't expect a guy that large to be out there for 3 snaps on every defensive play and be effective all game long. Teams with great defenses understand that regardless of the scheme they're running.

Legend

User Info Menu

I really can't understand your reasoning. Again, a NT isn't supposed to get pressure on the QB...he is there to absorb double teams. He is there is take on two blockers. No one in this draft does that better than Cody. His presence in the middle will make the linebackers jobs ALOT easier.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's what your DEs are for. This is what people don't get...any dominant 3-4 NT that can take on 2 blockers on every play...will be a big dude...and unlikely to be as quick on his feet as your 3-4 DEs. What people are asking for doesn't exist in this draft. Williams is also a 2 down NT. While he is quicker than Cody...he isn't going to be as quick as Hood, or Keisel.

I mean I want a NT would is 350 pounds, runs a 4.3 40 and can bench 900 pounds 40 times. But, what you guys are asking for is unrealistic from a 3-4 NT.
    Trolls are people too.