Thread: Draft Daddy 1st Round Mock - we take NT Dan Williams

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft Daddy 1st Round Mock - we take NT Dan Williams

DRAFT DADDY FIRST ROUND MOCK DRAFT WITH COMMENTS

UPDATED: 02/21/10

==
    01. St. Louis Rams - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska

With 21 career sacks, Suh could be a pass rusher at end as well as tackle.

==
    02. Detroit Lions - DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma

Lions defense needs help inside, will be able to get it with either top tackle.

==
    03.Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DB Eric Berry, Tennessee

Bucs can use a real playmaker like Berry but he needs to measure tall at Indy.

==
    04.Washington Redskins - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

Skins have offensive needs, Okung is a smooth blocker who will contribute early.

==
    05. Kansas City Chiefs - ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama

Chiefs will look to trade down but their defense could use the leadership of McClain.

==
    06. Seattle Seahawks - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma

The Seahawks will need a new signal caller, Bradford's pro day will be key to his value.

==
    07. Cleveland Browns - CB Joe Haden, Florida

Haden is the premium cornerback in this draft and the Browns need coverage.

==
    08. Oakland Raiders - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers

Al Davis needs a left tackle and picking "A. Davis" appeals to ego.

==
    09. Buffalo Bills - OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

The Bills have issues at both tackle spots, Bulaga has rare feet for a big man.

==
    10.° Jacksonville Jaguars - QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame

The Jaguars need a change at quarterback, Clausen has talent and confidence.

==
    11.° Denver Broncos - NT Terrence Cody, Alabama

Denver is trying to be more powerful, Cody is the rare premium run-stuffer.

==
    12. Miami Dolphins - DE/OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan

The Dolphins need pass rush, Graham has top-end speed and an arsenal of moves.

==
    13. San Francisco 49ers - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson

The Niners can use a game-breaker at running back and returner, Spiller does it all.

==
    14. Seattle Seahawks (VIA DEN) - DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida

The Seahawks want to pressure the passer, JPP could be scary off the edge.

==
    15. New York Giants - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech

Morgan has been a top prospect for years, the Giants need another rusher.

==
    16.° Tennessee Titans - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State

The Titans have needs in their defensive backfield, Wilson is aggressive and quick.

==
    17.° San Francisco (VIA DEN) - OL Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

Pouncey could prove at the combine that he has the athleticism to play center, guard and tackle.

==
    18. Pittsburgh Steelers - NT Dan Williams, Tennessee

Williams is high-motor and blue-collar, qualities the Steelers want for their defense.

==
    19.° Atlanta Falcons - LB Sergio Kindle, Texas

The Falcons need to upgrade the OLB position, Kindle had a big national championship game.

==
    20.° Houston Texans - DB Taylor Mays, Southern Cal

Mays had a nice interception in Senior Bowl; should also impress at the combine.

==
    21. Cincinnati Bengals - WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

Carson Palmer needs more targets, Bryant will have to run well at Indy to go higher.

==
    22. New England Patriots - DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida

Dunlap has issues off the field, but offers rare physical attributes.

==
    23. Green Bay Packers - DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, Texas Christian

Hughes has tremendous production and should showcase his track speed in Indy.

==
    24. Philadelphia Eagles - DE/OLB Ricky Sapp, Clemson

The Eagles want to increase their edge rush, Sapp could also stand up and play backer like Orakpo.

==
    25. Baltimore Ravens - WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois

All signs point to the Ravens taking a receiver, Benn has play-making ability and #1 potential.

==
    26. Arizona Cardinals - OL Mike Iupati, Idaho

The Cards need linemen, Iupati has the physical upside to play tackle.

==
    27. Dallas Cowboys - OL Trent Williams, Oklahoma

The Boys have needs at several line spots, Williams can play all 5 positions.

==
    28. San Diego Chargers - CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State

The Chargers will have to reload at the corner, Robinson has the speed to play man-to-man.

==
    29. New York Jets - WR Damian Williams, Southern Cal

Williams worked with Mark Sanchez for 2 seasons at USC, they already have chemistry.

==
    30. Minnesota Vikings - DB Earl Thomas, Texas

Thomas can ballhawk at free safety and corner, Vikings can use him at either spot.

==
    31. Indianapolis Colts - DE Everson Griffen, Southern Cal

The Colts don't have options if Freeney gets hurt, Griffen could go higher but it's a deep crop.

==
    32. New Orleans Saints - LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri

The Saints continue to build their defense with an up-tempo leader in Spoon.

==
    next best players on the cusp of the 1st round:

(listed alphabetically by last name)

OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland

TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma

WR Brandon LaFell, Louisiana State

RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State

DT Jared Odrick Penn State

DT Brian Price, UCLA

WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Draft Daddy 1st Round Mock - we take NT Dan Williams

If we tag Hampton in the next couple of weeks as expected we will not take Dan Williams in Round 1. Think more along the lines of Torrell Troup in Round 3.

Once Hampton is tagged eliminate NT as a Round 1 possibility.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Carson Palmer needs more targets, Bryant will have to run well at Indy to go higher.
    Bryant will have to run well to go higher than #21? What the hell is this guy smoking?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

Bryant will have to run well to go higher than #21? What the hell is this guy smoking?[/quote]

Probably whatever Matt Jones is selling. Also, the stuff must be pretty good...he has Cody going in the 11th spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    If we tag Hampton in the next couple of weeks as expected we will not take Dan Williams in Round 1. Think more along the lines of Torrell Troup in Round 3.

I'm not sure I understand your logic. If we tag Hampton that's only a year. Why would we not draft his replacement? Williams is a logical choice unless we sign Hampton to a long term deal.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

Bryant will have to run well to go higher than #21? What the hell is this guy smoking?
    Dez is not the sharpest route runner in the world. Those kinds of guys can struggle at the next level. I remember when people were hyping Teddy Ginn and his elite speed. He was magnficant for the Buckeyes...a true difference maker. But, I had seen enough of him to know he was sloppy with his routes. I see some similarities. Bryant is a terrific talent who has gotten by on his athleticism. He is big, strong and can leap. He plays jump balls well. But, if he thinks he will man handle NFL DBs while rounding off his routes...he has another thing coming. It's not like the guy will run a 4.3 40. He must get better at running routes or he is at best a #2 WR in this league.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

I'm not sure I understand your logic. If we tag Hampton that's only a year. Why would we not draft his replacement? Williams is a logical choice unless we sign Hampton to a long term deal.
    I didn't say we won't draft his replacement, I just said it won't be in Round 1.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Probably whatever Matt Jones is selling. Also, the stuff must be pretty good...he has Cody going in the 11th spot.
    Mt. Cody for about 5 plays a game will look like a top 10 pick...

Dez is not the sharpest route runner in the world. Those kinds of guys can struggle at the next level. I remember when people were hyping Teddy Ginn and his elite speed. He was magnficant for the Buckeyes...a true difference maker. But, I had seen enough of him to know he was sloppy with his routes. I see some similarities. Bryant is a terrific talent who has gotten by on his athleticism. He is big, strong and can leap. He plays jump balls well. But, if he thinks he will man handle NFL WRs while rounding off his routes...he has another thing coming. It's not like the guy will run a 4.3 40. He must get better at running routes or he is at best a #2 WR in this league.
    I think Bryant is a better receiver coming out of college than Crabtree was last season. I'm not expecting Dez to run well in the 40, but I'm also not expecting him to fall past the top 15 picks in the draft.

I see what you're saying about his route running but very few receivers come out of college with great route running abilities. Most if not all develop that ability over time...

Legend

User Info Menu

I also don't think that tagging Hampton eliminates a NT as a round 1 pick. If Hampton is tagged and extended, that might be a different story. If Hampton is franchised and not extended, a young NT could spend a year rotating with Casey and perhaps one of the DE spots as well before taking over the next year. It also hurts Casey's leverage if he wants to hold out. If he knows that the heir apparent has been drafted and could replace him, it behooves him to get into camp and prepare for what will be a year long audition for the rest of the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

I didn't say we won't draft his replacement, I just said it won't be in Round 1.
    So the only reason we would want a top notch NT is if we are in desperate need?
    Trolls are people too.