Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PFT's Mock Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: PFT's Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Dan Williams at 18 wouldn't surprise me at all,...he nearly fits the 3-4 NT prototype perfectly. He was dominant at Senior Bowl practices,..and had a very good showing in the game itself. Not only does he control the point of attack very well,..but he is also an athletic kid for his size, that stacks and sheds well consistently and collapses the pocket.

Combine these facts with the truth that Hamp isn't exactly the biggest Tomlin fan (and perhaps vice versa) and i think Hamp could franchised to keep him around one more year,..and Team Tomlin/Colbert ignore the secondary in the first round, and pull the trigger on Williams.

And then proceed to reach on a corner with a late third/early 4th round grade in the 2nd round. But what do i know,....nothing i ever say comes to pass ?

NTs are the cornerstone of a 3-4 defense and dominant ones are becoming harder and harder to come by as more teams switch to the 3-4. I read somewhere that about half of all NFL teams are expected to run the 3-4 next year.

We have been very fortunate to have had Casey Hampton spoil us with outstanding NT play but he is getting older and is looking for that one last payday. I believe we will franchise Big Snack and draft a NT in this draft. If Dan Williams is available (he may not get past Miami at #12) then the Steelers will seriously need to consider him.

There are plenty of good CB and FS prospects available in Rounds 2-4. Here's to hoping the Steelers choose wisely and find a couple of playmakers, something that was sorely lacking last season without Troy roaming the secondary.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Dan Williams at 18 wouldn't surprise me at all,...he nearly fits the 3-4 NT prototype perfectly. He was dominant at Senior Bowl practices,..and had a very good showing in the game itself. Not only does he control the point of attack very well,..but he is also an athletic kid for his size, that stacks and sheds well consistently and collapses the pocket.

Combine these facts with the truth that Hamp isn't exactly the biggest Tomlin fan (and perhaps vice versa) and i think Hamp could franchised to keep him around one more year,..and Team Tomlin/Colbert ignore the secondary in the first round, and pull the trigger on Williams.

And then proceed to reach on a corner with a late third/early 4th round grade in the 2nd round. But what do i know,....nothing i ever say comes to pass ?

NTs are the cornerstone of a 3-4 defense and dominant ones are becoming harder and harder to come by as more teams switch to the 3-4. I read somewhere that about half of all NFL teams are expected to run the 3-4 next year.

We have been very fortunate to have had Casey Hampton spoil us with outstanding NT play but he is getting older and is looking for that one last payday. I believe we will franchise Big Snack and draft a NT in this draft. If Dan Williams is available (he may not get past Miami at #12) then the Steelers will seriously need to consider him.

There are plenty of good CB and FS prospects available in Rounds 2-4. Here's to hoping the Steelers choose wisely and find a couple of playmakers, something that was sorely lacking last season without Troy roaming the secondary.
    Well said Steel,..and i absolutely agree about the importance of the NT in our scheme as it's the foundation if you will. I also agree that we have been very fortunate to have had Hamp here. In fact i still believe he has at least another very productive three seasons left in the tank.

But as i said,.. politics ( and more importantly reaching an agreement in terms of a contract) will likely prevent him from remaining here long term. Am i happy with that ?,....no but i understand the "game".

Which brings me back to Williams,...do i want him in the first,..no,...not because he's not a very good player,..but i feel that we should really begin to take the secondary seriously.

But,... i also grasp the concept that Tomlin wants to move forward with the DB's that they Drafted last April and "prove" to everyone that they are the players that HE believes them to be,.....so all seriousness, you may be correct that it's likely that we may not reach for a DB at all until the 4th or later,...
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Well said Steel,..and i absolutely agree about the importance of the NT in our scheme as it's the foundation if you will. I also agree that we have been very fortunate to have had Hamp here. In fact i still believe he has at least another very productive three seasons left in the tank.

But as i said,.. politics ( and more importantly reaching an agreement in terms of a contract) will likely prevent him from remaining here long term. Am i happy with that ?,....no but i understand the "game".

Which brings me back to Williams,...do i want him in the first,..no,...not because he's not a very good player,..but i feel that we should really begin to take the secondary seriously.

But,... i also grasp the concept that Tomlin wants to move forward with the DB's that they Drafted last April and "prove" to everyone that they are the players that HE believes them to be,.....so all seriousness, you may be correct that it's likely that we may not reach for a DB at all until the 4th or later,...

I actually like your first two mock choices, CB and FS are definitely two areas of need.
    I hope we spend two of our first four choices on those positions and the other two on a NT and ILB.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

I actually like your first two mock choices, CB and FS are definitely two areas of need.
    I hope we spend two of our first four choices on those positions and the other two on a NT and ILB.
    And you know what Steel,..i could live with a NT within those first four as well. I'm personally kind of high on the Ekom Udofia kid out of Stanford. I think that with maybe a season or two for us behind the starting NT and perhaps maybe 10-15 more pounds,...he could go on to do very well at the position. (Not to say he'd be on Hamp's level,...but he certainly wouldn't be a liability)
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

a NT project in the later rounds makes sense, especially if we franchise Hampton and return Hoke for another season which i would expect.

a 3rd string NT would not dress on game days, by drafting someone like Udofia you could be patient with him and free up another early draft choice for the myriad of other needs we have.

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

with the increase in 3-4 teams, isn't it kind of concievable that Williams will be long gone by #18?

Chadman expects to see the majority of NT's over-drafted this season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    with the increase in 3-4 teams, isn't it kind of concievable that Williams will be long gone by #18?

yeah, if you see a NT you like you better grab him quick because they will be in great demand this year...this will most likely result in them getting over-drafted.

Buffalo at #9 and Miami at #12 are both in dire need of a NT and could well grab Williams ahead of us. If Hampton is franchised and Hoke also returns, do we want to spend a #1 pick on a 3rd string NT who may not dress on game days when we have so many other needs? Or do you have to grab the best available NT now and begin the grooming process since both Hampton and Hoke are getting older?

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes...he was a mid second rounder before the Senior Bowl. Now, he very well could be gone by 18. I think it's possible Odrick, Thomas, Mays, and Williams could all be gone by 18. I don't see Tomlin liking Cody. If that happened I would have no idea who we would pick.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes. He may not get past Miami who needs to add to their DL, but all is not lost. There are other potentially good NT that we can get in Rounds 2 and later. here is the list I am aware of:

1. Cam Thomas, 6'4", 330lbs, North Carolina. Rising on many boards. Probably 2nd Round pick
    2. Torrell Troup, 6'3" 310lbs, Central Florida. Another riser who would be my choice after we tag Hampton for a year. Has become somewhat of a "legend" at UCF for his work thic and conditioning. Use to be over 340lbs but committed to his conditioning. Good athlete. Very much like Chris Hoke in style of play.
    3. Jay Ross, 6'3" 315lbs, East Carolina. Probably will be available Round 5 and later.
    4. Martin Tevaseu, 6'1" 340lbs, UNLV. Probably Round 6 or later. Cousin to our own Frank Summers which could help if he becomes UDFA.

Personally, I would target Troup in Round 3 even if we had to trade up and I would look at Tevaseu very late Round 7 or UDFA. That would give us a good cornerstone for the NT position for the next decade.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"