Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Casey Hampton question

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: The Casey Hampton question

The more Chadman thinks about it, the more he thinks the Steelers need to work something out in regards to getting Casey back for a few years yet. Draft a NT in the mid to late rounds to replace Hoke next year, and then split time with Hampton the year after that.

Then, he should be ready to move into the starting role.

So, Hampton should get a 3 year deal from the Steelers for Chadman's plan to work- making him 36, which, when you consider the Sam Adams' & Ted Washington's of years past, isn't unheard of for a 3-4 NT.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Best two statements in the entire article

Since very few Steelers defensive draft picks are able to play in bad word LeBeauís defense during their rookie year, this plan would allow the Steelers time for a rookie to learn the defense.
    So very true, but the defense isn't complicated is it according to some. Isn't this just a myth and just a coincidence that rookies never play.

Didn't Hampton start a few weeks into his rookie season?
    Didn't Woodley get quite a bit of playing time his rookie season? What about Ziggy last year? I remember Gay seeing a decent amount of playing time his rookie year. Anthony Smith started 4 games his rookie year -- and we all know he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. BMac also had a lot of playing time his rookie year.

The myth is not that the defense isn't complicated. The myth is that it is more complicated than everyone elses defense. The truth is we don't get to draft in the top 5 or top 10 ... and we normally have solid starters in every position. That is why we don't have many rookies showing up and starting right away. This year could be the exception if we lose Clark then we really have nothing at FS and if Gay doesn't regain his confidence one corner could easily be replaced -- although I think Lewis and Burnett could still step up.
    As someone stated in another thread, preach it brotha Ike!

Oh...and Pennypacker too!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    The more Chadman thinks about it, the more he thinks the Steelers need to work something out in regards to getting Casey back for a few years yet. Draft a NT in the mid to late rounds to replace Hoke next year, and then split time with Hampton the year after that.

Then, he should be ready to move into the starting role.

So, Hampton should get a 3 year deal from the Steelers for Chadman's plan to work- making him 36, which, when you consider the Sam Adams' & Ted Washington's of years past, isn't unheard of for a 3-4 NT.
    Assuming that whomever is drafted actually pans out. They better not take a NT in the second round, that will be the kiss of death!

I would offer Hampton a 3 year 25 million dollar contract...half guaranteed. I would also tell him if he chooses not to take it...we will non exclusive his big butt and he can deal with it. I believe thats a reasonable contract for both parties and gives us some options in this draft. If we lose Hampton or merely keep him for another season...we must draft either Williams, Cody or Troup.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I would offer Hampton a 3 year 25 million dollar contract...half guaranteed. I would also tell him if he chooses not to take it...we will non exclusive his big butt and he can deal with it. I believe thats a reasonable contract for both parties and gives us some options in this draft. If we lose Hampton or merely keep him for another season...we must draft either Williams, Cody or Troup.

I think a fair 3-year contract for Casey is in the $20-25million range, which would then allow us to address other needs early in the draft.

if we franchise tag him then i agree we should draft a NT in the first 3 rounds as it will be a bigger need.

Replacing Casey?

By Harvey ďMr. SteelerĒ Aronson

Have you given any thought to what might happen if Casey Hampton is not given the franchise tag and allowed to walk? That could happen if the Steelers donít give our starting nose tackle a long-term contract or place that ill-fated tag on him.

On the bench we have Chris Hoke and Scott Paxon. Hardly qualified replacements for the big man. So could there be an answer in the NFL draft? Itís highly unlikely the team could draft ANYONE and expect them to step in to the nose tackle slot in their rookie season and perform like a Hampton. Another alternative might be finding another free agent veteran. The best solution might just be inking the Case to a long-term deal or give him the tag he defiantly does not want. With that said, ESPNís division expert got hit with a related question in his column this morning.

James Walker, ESPN.com, Walker's weekend mailbag
    Let's see what's in our weekend mailbag.

Chad from Lewistown, Pa., writes: Do you think the Pittsburgh Steelers should take a defensive lineman in this year's draft that could replace Casey Hampton in a few years?

James Walker: At this point it's almost a must, Chad. It appears more likely that Hampton will get a one-year franchise tag. That would give Pittsburgh one more season to find and groom Hamptonís eventual replacement. This yearís draft has several possibilities. For instance, Dan Williams of Tennessee is a player that I like for Pittsburgh. He should be a good fit as a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. Terrence "Mount" Cody from Alabama is another interior lineman with ability but is fighting weight issues, which could be a red flag. But if he falls to the second round or lower, Cody could be a risk worth taking for the Steelers.

Allen from York, Pa., writes: Do you think there is a possibility of the Steelers drafting Clemson RB C.J. Spiller?

Walker: Enlighten me, Steeler Nation, because every week I get questioned about the Steelers taking a running back with the No. 18 overall pick. Where is this coming from? Did Rashard Mendenhall not rush for 1,000 yards last year? The Steelers do not need to draft another tailback in the first round. They need someone who can contribute elsewhere and possibly start next season.