Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilfork Gets the Franchise Tag

Legend

User Info Menu

Wilfork Gets the Franchise Tag

Wilfork gets his franchise tag

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 22, 2010 12:58 PM ET
    We've read a lot about New England having a "tough decision" to make about possibly franchising Vince Wilfork, but the decision always seemed like a matter of when, not if.

Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal tweeted that she's "hearing" that Monday will be the day it happens.

A short while later, Comcast Sports New England's Tom Curran confirmed that Wilfork has indeed been tagged. The paperwork was filed Monday.

Curran spoke with Wilfork's agent Kennard McGuire earlier Monday. McGuire simply said they are taking things "one day at a time."

Using the tag now, of course, doesn't prevent a long-term deal from occurring later this offseason, which is Wilfork's ultimate goal. The Patriots just had to make sure that long-term contract didn't come with any other team first.
    Wilfork's tag is non-exclusive

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 22, 2010 1:25 PM ET
    Thumbnail image for V. Wilfork.jpgRecently tagged Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork can still field contract offers from other teams, but the cost of acquiring him will be prohibitive.

ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss writes that Wilfork received the non-exclusive version of the franchise tag. That means any team that signs Wilfork to an offer sheet must be willing to give up two first-round picks for him. (Not to mention a huge salary.)

In the unlikely scenario that Wilfork signs an offer sheet, the Patriots would have seven days to match the offer or choose to take the two first-round picks.

Essentially, Wilfork will be as difficult to move during the offseason as he is on Sundays.
    So the question is...how does this affect our decision on Big Snack?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Wilfork Gets the Franchise Tag

I don't see how what New England is choosing to do with their potential free agents would affect our decision regarding Hampton one bit. I believe that our intention all along was to franchise Casey if we could not work out a deal with him before the start of free agency (and also to give Jeff Reed the transition tag if we are unable to work out a deal with him before the start of free agency).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I don't see how what New England is choosing to do with their potential free agents would affect our decision regarding Hampton one bit. I believe that our intention all along was to franchise Casey if we could not work out a deal with him before the start of free agency (and also to give Jeff Reed the transition tag if we are unable to work out a deal with him before the start of free agency).
    I agree. Unless Hampton accepts a reasoanble three year deal we will do the same thing to him that NE did to Wilfork.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What is the compensation on a transition tag? I can't remember if it's original draft round or nothing. If it's draft round, then Hampton should get that instead of the franchise tag.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    What is the compensation on a transition tag? I can't remember if it's original draft round or nothing. If it's draft round, then Hampton should get that instead of the franchise tag.
    No draft compensation for a transition tag. Just a right to match whatever contract he signs with someone else (or else you lose him for nothing).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess I'm looking at it two ways: 1. Wilfork's pretty much off the table for team's looking for a NT, that leaves less competition for Big Snack, and 2. Wilfork hasn't gotten a huge multi-year contract that could've driven up the asking price that Big Snack might've been seeking. (???)
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

the drama continues...

Wilfork responds to franchise designation, through Mrs. Wilfork

Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2010 2:30 PM ET
    In response to the news that the Patriots have applied the franchise tag to defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, the first response from the Wilfork family has come from Mrs. Wilfork.

Bianca Wilfork has been heavily involved in her husband's career. (Some might say she has been too involved.) But on Monday she struck an optimistic tone, without any of the bluster that came from Vince several weeks ago regarding the possible use of the franchise tag.

"After six years of dedicated service I do understand this is a business," she wrote on her Twitter page. "With that said it is my hope that the tag is applied for its true purpose. For the purpose of allotting more time for us to continue our talks and be able to reach a long-term agreement."

In all fairness, that's not the true purpose of the franchise tag. The true purpose of the franchise tag is to give each team the annual right to squat on one unrestricted free agent. Under the CBA, the only requirement is that the team "have a good faith intention to employ the player . . . during the upcoming season."

So it's a year-to-year tool, which allows the team to keep a player without making the large investment that comes from a multi-year deal based on market value. The union and the league recognized this reality in 2006 by increasing dramatically the price for using the franchise tag a third straight time.

Wilfork might get a long-term deal in 2010, and he might have to wait until 2011. Maybe he gets tagged again next year. Regardless, the true purpose is to give the team a chance to keep the player for at least another year or to do a long-term deal on its own terms, without having to worry about the highest bidder driving up the price -- unless the highest bidder is willing to give up two first-round draft picks in return.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    No draft compensation for a transition tag. Just a right to match whatever contract he signs with someone else (or else you lose him for nothing).

the Steelers wouldn't want to risk a transition tag on Hampton, what if Buffalo or some team in desperate need of a 3-4 NT offered Casey a 5-year $40 million contract? we would then have to match it or risk losing him for nothing in return.

in my opinion, there is no doubt that Casey will receive the franchise tag.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The Seahawks royally screwed up by giving Steve Hutchinson the transition tag instead of the franchise tag back in the day, and the Vikings swooped in with a poison pill deal that Seattle could not match.

Franchise tag for Hampton. Transition tag for Reed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree also, Hampton is this years Max Starx. Except he is on the downside of his career and it will be harder and harder for him to get a long term deal. I think the Steelers are keenly aware of his motivations and dont like the idea of giving him one. Honestly, I didnt expect him to come through this year like he did. He may very well be willing to seriously negotiate this summer after he realizes its his last best chance to get something...anything that resembles a golden parachute.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.