Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time is now for Steelers' Ryan Clark

Re: Time is now for Steelers' Ryan Clark

I think Clarks agent is living in a dream world if he things the Steelers are going to dish out that type of money Clark.

imo... Clark is a similar player to Hope.

It's going to get veeerrryy interesting if the Steelers can't resign Clark or Hampton long term. If Hampton doesn't sign a 3 year deal then I see the Steelers drafting Williams if available. They almost have to at that point. A starting NT now adays is more difficult to find that a starting free safety. I truely believe that.

If Clark isn't resigned either then what do you do? You almost have to pass up on Thomas and Mays to draft Williams.

Is it possible that Mays could drop into the 2nd round?

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I think Clarks agent is living in a dream world if he things the Steelers are going to dish out that type of money Clark.

It's going to get veeerrryy interesting if the Steelers can't resign Clark or Hampton long term. If Hampton doesn't sign a 3 year deal then I see the Steelers drafting Williams if available. They almost have to at that point. A starting NT now adays is more difficult to find that a starting free safety. I truely believe that.

If Clark isn't resigned either then what do you do? You almost have to pass up on Thomas and Mays to draft Williams.

A dominant starting NT for a 3-4 team now adays is as important to have as a franchise QB, they are both cornerstones you build around.

If Hampton does not sign a long-term deal I believe the Steelers will find it very difficult to pass on Dan Williams if he is still available at #18.

A good safety such as Nate Allen or Chad Jones can still be had in the second round. There's no way Taylor Mays makes it to us in Round 2 in my opinion, especially if he blows everyone away at the Combine with his athleticism.
    Attached Images Attached Images

what about Arizona Cardinals S Antrel Rolle if he is released?

Cardinals | Rolle could get released

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:25

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, speculates Arizona Cardinals S Antrel Rolle might be released from the team as Rolle is due a $4 million roster bonus due in March that the Cardinals do not want to pay.

i like safeties that are smart, guess some NFL teams worry he may be too smart...

Myron Rolle's off-field success could hurt in the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2010 7:29 PM ET

ESPN's Outside the Lines ran a story Sunday morning about Myron Rolle, the Florida State defensive back who became a Rhodes Scholar and is now a prospect in the 2010 NFL draft.

The whole segment is worth watching, and the companion piece by Wright Thompson at ESPN.com is worth reading, but the Outside the Lines segment ended on an odd note, citing ESPN's draft experts as saying Rolle's off-field pursuits would actually hurt his stock among NFL teams.

The thinking, according to ESPN, is that NFL teams want to draft guys who need to play football and want to study nothing more than a playbook -- not guys like Rolle, who wants to become a doctor and enjoys studying the latest developments in stem cell research. The report said Rolle has dealt with this mentality before when his defensive coordinator at Florida State, Mickey Andrews, told Rolle that he was spending too much time on school and not enough time on football.

It's kind of a sad commentary: After a great piece about what a fine young man Rolle is, ESPN felt the need to point out that being a fine young man could, in Rolle's case, actually count against him on NFL teams' draft boards.

But it's surely true that Rolle could decide at any time to walk away from football and find greater success in another field. As far as NFL teams are concerned, that's not a good quality in a draft prospect.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    i like safeties that are smart, guess some NFL teams worry he may be too smart...

ESPN's Outside the Lines ran a story Sunday morning about Myron Rolle, the Florida State defensive back who became a Rhodes Scholar and is now a prospect in the 2010 NFL draft.

The whole segment is worth watching, and the companion piece by Wright Thompson at ESPN.com is worth reading, but the Outside the Lines segment ended on an odd note, citing ESPN's draft experts as saying Rolle's off-field pursuits would actually hurt his stock among NFL teams.

The thinking, according to ESPN, is that NFL teams want to draft guys who need to play football and want to study nothing more than a playbook -- not guys like Rolle, who wants to become a doctor and enjoys studying the latest developments in stem cell research. The report said Rolle has dealt with this mentality before when his defensive coordinator at Florida State, Mickey Andrews, told Rolle that he was spending too much time on school and not enough time on football.

It's kind of a sad commentary: After a great piece about what a fine young man Rolle is, ESPN felt the need to point out that being a fine young man could, in Rolle's case, actually count against him on NFL teams' draft boards.

But it's surely true that Rolle could decide at any time to walk away from football and find greater success in another field. As far as NFL teams are concerned, that's not a good quality in a draft prospect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smi ... ootball%29

Robert Scott Smith (born March 4, 1972 in Euclid, Ohio) is a former American football running back who played with the Ohio State Buckeyes and later with the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL. While in college, he openly criticized the Ohio State football staff for not allowing him to concentrate on academics. He declared for the NFL draft shortly after his sophomore year (counting his redshirt his third academic year) leaving many of his fans perplexed. (He also starred in track and field while at Ohio State. Smith had been the only player to ever win Ohio's Mr. Football Award twice (in 1988 and 1989). Erick Howard has since won the award twice (in 2008 and 2009).
    Smith played 8 seasons in the NFL and bailed. I'm sure teams are worried Rolle might bail while he's still got something left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smi ... ootball%29

Robert Scott Smith (born March 4, 1972 in Euclid, Ohio) is a former American football running back who played with the Ohio State Buckeyes and later with the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL. While in college, he openly criticized the Ohio State football staff for not allowing him to concentrate on academics. He declared for the NFL draft shortly after his sophomore year (counting his redshirt his third academic year) leaving many of his fans perplexed. (He also starred in track and field while at Ohio State. Smith had been the only player to ever win Ohio's Mr. Football Award twice (in 1988 and 1989). Erick Howard has since won the award twice (in 2008 and 2009).
    Smith played 8 seasons in the NFL and bailed. I'm sure teams are worried Rolle might bail while he's still got something left in the tank.

Robert Smith is a very good analogy to Myron Rolle...

however, if we were able to draft Rolle in say the fifth round and have him play for the Steelers for 8 years i would be satisfied with that.

Legend

For this year Hampton will not factor into this issue because he will be tagged and won't be playing anywhere else until 2012 (assume lockout). That means we will not have to get a NT in Round 1 and can get a NT in Round 2 (Cam Thomas) or Round 3 (Torrell Troup). "Mount Lard" Cody may even fall far enough into Round 2 that we could get him but I still wouldn't touch him.

If Clark is allowed to leave we can still get a good safety prospect in Round 2 or 3. This draft is very deep at the safety position.

Colbert will operate as he always does and take the best player on the board in Round 1 regardless of position.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

For this year Hampton will not factor into this issue because he will be tagged and won't be playing anywhere else until 2012 (assume lockout). That means we will not have to get a NT in Round 1 and can get a NT in Round 2 (Cam Thomas) or Round 3 (Torrell Troup). "Mount Lard" Cody may even fall far enough into Round 2 that we could get him but I still wouldn't touch him.

If Clark is allowed to leave we can still get a good safety prospect in Round 2 or 3. This draft is very deep at the safety position.

Colbert will operate as he always does and take the best player on the board in Round 1 regardless of position.

i agree about Colbert taking the BPA, and if Williams is the best player on the Steelers' board when we pick in Round 1 they will take him and then address FS in a later round.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

In relation to Rolle- if a team drafts him in say, the 4th round onwards, and he decides to only play, say 3 years of football- is it a bad investment?

Really, most mid to late picks are 50-50 to have a decent NFL career anyway.

Worth a flyer, if you ask Chadman.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00