Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time is now for Steelers' Ryan Clark

Re: Time is now for Steelers' Ryan Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If Clark isn't re-signed, does anyone think Sean Jones of the Eagles, and before that the Browns, could be an effective short-term option while a rookie is drafted to learn & eventually take over?

Or, is there any real chance that Ryan Mundy is given a shot?

The 28-year old Sean Jones could be a very effective option as he can play both the FS and SS positions in case of an injury to Troy. He is a playmaker, I read somewhere that Jones ranks third among safeties behind only Baltimore's Ed Reed and St. Louis' Oshiomogho Atogwe in interceptions since 2006.

Jones, listed at 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds, had his best season in '06 when he finished with 107 tackles and five interceptions. He is an UFA after signing a one-year $3 million contract with the Eagles last season. If he's willing to sign a similar contract with the Steelers I would be all for it.

Clark is going to sign a fair deal with us.

Reason #1, his medical condition. Although, he has been pretty durable, that unfortunate reaction in Denver will scare off a lot of teams. Look at last year, the coaches benched him, in precaution in Denver. So that eliminates all of the AFCW and teams with games in Denver this year. Are there any other high altitude cities in the NFL?

Reason #2, his talent. I would say he is an average to above average FS, nothing special.

Reason #3, deep draft class of safeties. Probably find better talent and potential in this draft than what he can offer.

Reason #4, money talks, but he has a good thing going here in the Burgh playing with one of the best Safeties in the game, one of the best defenses in the game, and a possibility of more rings.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If Clark isn't re-signed, does anyone think Sean Jones of the Eagles, and before that the Browns, could be an effective short-term option while a rookie is drafted to learn & eventually take over?

Or, is there any real chance that Ryan Mundy is given a shot?

The 28-year old Sean Jones could be a very effective option as he can play both the FS and SS positions in case of an injury to Troy. He is a playmaker, I read somewhere that Jones ranks third among safeties behind only Baltimore's Ed Reed and St. Louis' Oshiomogho Atogwe in interceptions since 2006.

Jones, listed at 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds, had his best season in '06 when he finished with 107 tackles and five interceptions. He is an UFA after signing a one-year $3 million contract with the Eagles last season. If he's willing to sign a similar contract with the Steelers I would be all for it.
    O.J. Atogwe could be a possible upgrade option as well. He's an interesting case. Last year (when players only needed 4 accrued seasons to reach unrestricted free agency), the 4 year vet was unrestricted, and the Rams kept him with a franchise tag. This year, the 5 year vet is a restricted free agent (since he now would need 6 accrued seasons to be unrestricted in this capless environment).

They can keep him with a RFA tender, but instead of it being in the $2 million range (like Colon's RFA tender), they'll have to give him a 10% raise to keep him with an RFA tender. The franchise number for safeties last year was $6.34, so in order to tender him, the Rams would need to pony up nearly $7 million. They may decide not to do that, and then he would be free to sign elsewhere.

Starter

Personally, I think Kennan Lewis was drafted to play FS.

If he can actually play corner- then all the better.

The key question is: Is he ready in season 2, to be the starter??

IMO- Clark is given a mid to low offer, which he can vastly improve upon in the FA market.

So- I'd look for DeShae to be resigned to a very cap friendly deal- as insurance if Lewis isn't the guy- in either role.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george

Reason #1, his medical condition. Although, he has been pretty durable, that unfortunate reaction in Denver will scare off a lot of teams. Look at last year, the coaches benched him, in precaution in Denver. So that eliminates all of the AFCW and teams with games in Denver this year. Are there any other high altitude cities in the NFL?

Reason #2, his talent. I would say he is an average to above average FS, nothing special.

Reason #3, deep draft class of safeties. Probably find better talent and potential in this draft than what he can offer.

Reason #4, money talks, but he has a good thing going here in the Burgh playing with one of the best Safeties in the game, one of the best defenses in the game, and a possibility of more rings.

i'm with you on this one, Ryan Clark is an average to above average FS, nothing special at all. Instead of stepping up in Troy's absence, he was one of the DBs on the field when we surrendered all those 4th quarter leads. I just don't see us paying him big money.

I would rather look for another veteran S in free agency or wait until after the draft and see if we could pick Earl Thomas in the 1st round or Nate Allen in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george

i'm with you on this one, Ryan Clark is an average to above average FS, nothing special at all. Instead of stepping up in Troy's absence, he was one of the DBs on the field when we surrendered all those 4th quarter leads. I just don't see us paying him big money.

I would rather look for another veteran S in free agency or wait until after the draft and see if we could pick Earl Thomas in the 1st round or Nate Allen in the 2nd.
    I agree with you guys for the most part. He is not worth superstar money but he is one of those 'glue' type players that you have to have to win championships. He is smart, steady, does everthing well but nothing outstanding.

He certainly is replaceable but is not 'easily' replaceable. For example I don't think Rhodes would bring the same stability and cohesion to the defense that Clark does. He might have greater physical ability but he is also not as likely to sacrifice his stature for the team by going for a hard tackle instead of trying for the unlikely interception. I guess I'm saying he won't err on the side of caution but would be more likely to give up big plays while trying to make big plays. Clark on the other hand is satisfied with just knocking the snot out of receivers and letting Troy take care of the glory plays.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL

IMO- Clark is given a mid to low offer, which he can vastly improve upon in the FA market.

So- I'd look for DeShae to be resigned to a very cap friendly deal- as insurance if Lewis isn't the guy- in either role.
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lewis is still seen as a corner and a corner only by the Steelers. I think it was in Bouchette's transcript a week or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lewis is still seen as a corner and a corner only by the Steelers. I think it was in Bouchette's transcript a week or two ago.

Keenan Lewis will start camp at the CB position and will not be moved to FS. Also, Willie Colon will remain at RT and will not be moved to guard.

Starter

I didn't see that, but

I'm not sure he has the speed to be a starting corner in the NFL.

He is the one player I am really looking forward to seeing progress in camp next season.

(well... i guess that is not entirely true... i think we'd all like to see Urbik and Hills actually contribute to something as well.)

Hall of Famer

Keenan Lewis will start camp at the CB position and will not be moved to FS. Also, Willie Colon will remain at RT and will not be moved to guard.
    I'm not convinced that either of these are a slam dunk. On Colon, I am hoping/wishing our new OL coach will truly evaluate player strengths like he did Buffalo. Lewis will end up where the greatest need is after the draft......we'll see how that turns out. I think our offense has shown it has enough stuff to keep pace with any team, so I am hoping we go heavy on Defense in this draft. I would not mind seeing picks 1-3 go that way.