Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at the Senior Bowl

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at the Senior Bowl

Perhaps we should sign LaGarrette "Mel" BLOUNT.

Then in free agency (and via trade) we can try to obtain:

Shonn "Mean Joe" GREENE
    Morlon "L.C." GREENWOOD
    Roddy "Dwight" WHITE
    Gary "Andy" RUSSELL
    Terrail "Jack" LAMBERT
    Joe "J.T." THOMAS
    Ray "Glen" EDWARDS
    Ahmad "Terry" BRADSHAW
    Donte "John" STALLWORTH
    Ronnie "Larry" BROWN
    Corey "Mike" WEBSTER
    Kevin "Jon" KOLB (pronounced differently, but still)

Couldn't find any Swanns, Shells, Hams, Bleiers, etc. in the league right now.

We already have Sonny "Franco" HARRIS, Santonio "Ernie" HOLMES, Keenan "Frank" LEWIS, and Carey "Sam" DAVIS.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Re: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at Senior Bowl

[quote=frankthetank1][quote=Dee Dub][quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1paz58ir]Only way I could see them taking Blount is if every other team was scared off and he was sitting there in the 6th or 7th round. They did draft Kemo and he had issues where he kicked another player in the head so it wouldn't be totally impossible they show interest in him.

I would love Gerhart in the black and gold. Definitely worth a 3rd round pick in my mind.[/quote]

I dont really get the bad character thing here with Blount. I'm sorry but if an oppossing player comes and grabs me while talking out the side of his neck after my team just lost a game...I'm straight clockin him too.

I guess I'd have to be just a bad character guy too then.[/quote]

it was a straight up sucker punch though. you would sucker punch another guy after a game? man thats pretty low. i hate blunt he is a punk for what he did and the freshman that replaced him is better imo[/quote:1paz58ir]

That freshman got arrested for strangling his girlfriend the other day....

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Oregon-RB-LaMichael-James-arrested-for-strangulation-assault-021710"]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Oreg ... ult-021710[/url]
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

a sucker punch is when you punch someone when that person would not suspect it. ie in a non fighting situation. and the reason if you remember that it looked like the player grabbed blounts jersey is he was getting yanked by his head coach and was falling backward. I don't know if he was talking smack or not, but to do something that foolish on national tv shows a level of immaturity that i wouldn't want on my team.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    a sucker punch is when you punch someone when that person would not suspect it. ie in a non fighting situation. and the reason if you remember that it looked like the player grabbed blounts jersey is he was getting yanked by his head coach and was falling backward. I don't know if he was talking smack or not, but to do something that foolish on national tv shows a level of immaturity that i wouldn't want on my team.

no one has the right to punch someone else unless they are protecting their family, another individual or themselves from harm.

to strike another person reflects a level of immaturity and selfishness that i don't want on my team...will he do it again, in a crucial situation perhaps?

there are plenty of other RBs available in the Draft, let the Ravens have him.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis

no one has the right to punch someone else unless they are protecting their family, another individual or themselves from harm.

to strike another person reflects a level of immaturity and selfishness that i don't want on my team...will he do it again, in a crucial situation perhaps?

there are plenty of other RBs available in the Draft, let the Ravens have him.
    exactly
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Re: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at Senior Bowl

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":iyndzd5l
    Only way I could see them taking Blount is if every other team was scared off and he was sitting there in the 6th or 7th round. They did draft Kemo and he had issues where he kicked another player in the head so it wouldn't be totally impossible they show interest in him.

I would love Gerhart in the black and gold. Definitely worth a 3rd round pick in my mind.
    I dont really get the bad character thing here with Blount. I'm sorry but if an oppossing player comes and grabs me while talking out the side of his neck after my team just lost a game...I'm straight clockin him too.

I guess I'd have to be just a bad character guy too then.[/quote:iyndzd5l]

Yeaah well...that's a pretty safe assumption.

Ehh I think it's being overblown. Who here hasn't shown moments of immaturity? Whether his brand of immaturity was particularly repulsive to some is irrelevant. What I care about...was this an isolated issue...or is this common practice. Does he have other history to go along with meltin' the smack talker like butter? I don't personally know but I do know the guy can run. I also know he doesn't like to lose. I would even bet he learned a pretty valuable lesson after watching his career flash before his eyes.

I would not doubt the Steelers are taking a long hard look at the kid.

I like it that the Steelers are looking at these guys. I am maybe showing my age but Gerhart reminds my of John "the Diesel" Riggins from the Washington Redskin Hog days or OJ Anderson from the Bill Parcells era with the Giants. Both were not fast but had long careers getting that needed 2-4 yards when even being tackled at the line.

Our line is not there yet but if the Steelers used Rashard and a situational scatback like Stephan for the 1st half and then brought in a Bam Morris type of runner like either Gerhart or Blount in the second half or at the goal line then I could see us wearing down teams like we did with the Bus. I read about how BA is supposed to be more committed to these style of offense but who knows.

Does anyone know about durability, injury prone history, picking up the blitz, catching the ball out of the backfield with these guys?

My 2¢ on Blount is that I thought it was unacceptable but I understand of how that could have happened. Football IMO is the most emotional sport there is and not everyone will play it like Barry Sanders.

If I had any ounce of talent and ability I would love to play the game like a Jarrad Allen from the Vikings minus the showboating with the cattle tie. He is all over the place giving 110% on every play. With that type of intensity and emotion (mixing in a little small talk between plays) and I could see how you lose it briefly to where you do something stupid. Oh well, you know Mr Davis will grab him even if they have Bush.

Pro Bowler

"Gerhart also won the Doak Walker Award, honoring the nation's best running back ... "

Ok, that's weird. Gerhart won the award for best RB. A different RB, Bobby Engram, won the Heisman award, which is for the best player. Is this some kind of new math?

Starter

A few comments on this-

1. IMO, Gerhart will go too soon too early for the Steelers to consider drafting. Meaning, Before the 4th round.

2. I think Blount could be that inside runner the team so desperately needs. He would make the other team honor the short yardage running play, and open up play action. Imagine how much better the red-zone offense would be-

Lastly, in respect to the fight.

We don't know what was being said, either in the game, or at that moment- that led to the situation after the game.

I am sure every one of us can think of some very inflammatory things - that if someone were to say to us, would cause you to physically react.

I'm on the fence about the "sucker-punch" aspect- because I believe that the other player almost certainly said/did something to deserve it. And that in almost any other environment, not on a football field, it would have initiated a fight.

Clearly, Blount snapped.

It is not the initial punch that is so problematic.

It was his actions towards his teammates- and more directly, towards the fans... that really brings into question his emotional stability.

Having said all of that, I am sure he has gone through anger management therapy- and if he passes whatever litany of psychological test that are certain to be administered, I would be geeked if the Steelers drafted him in the 4th.