Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at the Senior Bowl

Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at the Senior Bowl

Like they do each season, the Steelers are going to try to re-sign most of the free-agents they have. One big question remains though, as to whether or not running back Willie Parker will be one of those.

If not, here is a possible replacement via the draft, former Stanford back Toby Gerhart and he could be a viable option as sources say the team is very high on him.

Although Gerhart met with Steeler officials during the Senior Bowl, it is not believed he will last longer than the third round. The question now, would the Steelers be willing to use a pick that high on a running back.

So who is Gerhart? At 6-1, 235 pounds he is big and has a knack for finding the end zone from the red zone. Last year he compiled 1,736 yards on the ground and scored 26 touchdowns. Both led the country. He was also a reason Stanford finished second in the Pac-10 and got its first bowl bid in eight years.

Gerhart also won the Doak Walker Award, honoring the nation's best running back and was second in the Heisman race. In 2008, Gerhart rushed for 1,136 yards, breaking Tommy Vardell's school record of 1,084 yards. For his career, he had 44 touchdowns and 3, 522 yards rushing.

The Steelers also met with another running back during the Senior Bowl, his name LaGarrette Blount. If he name sounds familiar there is a reason. During the 2009 season he punched out Boise State’s Byron Hout and it made national headlines following the Sept. 3 game.

He was suspended, but reinstated for the final three games and played in the Rose Bowl. That incident also brought character issues into play since he was also suspended from the team in February after setting a school record with 17 touchdowns his junior year. The reason for that suspension was the fact he missed workouts.

Despite missing most of the 2009 season, he is still considered one of the best backs in the draft and drawing comparisons to Michael Bush. A 6-2, 240 pounds he is a bruiser. Considering the Steelers try to avoid players with character issues this will be a player to watch in the near future.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... k-and-gold
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Re: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at Senior Bowl

Only way I could see them taking Blount is if every other team was scared off and he was sitting there in the 6th or 7th round. They did draft Kemo and he had issues where he kicked another player in the head so it wouldn't be totally impossible they show interest in him.

I would love Gerhart in the black and gold. Definitely worth a 3rd round pick in my mind.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

I wouldn't hesitate to add either one of them. Our RB situation is worse than many want to recognize because of the current love affair with defensive backs and therefore the fixation on those players. We have nothing past Mendy and he has already missed most of one season because of injuries.

I would be OK taking Gerhardt in Round 2. Solid citizen. Even though he made a nationally televised snafu, everything you hear about Blount from his coaches and teammates is that he has always been a "good guy and good team mate." Maybe just a young person being dumb.

Don't underestimate that we have a real need at the RB position and you need two frontline backs not one with a bunch of journeyman back ups.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Only way I could see them taking Blount is if every other team was scared off and he was sitting there in the 6th or 7th round. They did draft Kemo and he had issues where he kicked another player in the head so it wouldn't be totally impossible they show interest in him.

I would love Gerhart in the black and gold. Definitely worth a 3rd round pick in my mind.
    Santonio Holmes had some character concerns as well entering the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys took Blount...

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I wouldn't hesitate to add either one of them. Our RB situation is worse than many want to recognize because of the current love affair with defensive backs and therefore the fixation on those players. We have nothing past Mendy and he has already missed most of one season because of injuries.

I would be OK taking Gerhardt in Round 2. Solid citizen. Even though he made a nationally televised snafu, everything you hear about Blount from his coaches and teammates is that he has always been a "good guy and good team mate." Maybe just a young person being dumb.

Don't underestimate that we have a real need at the RB position and you need two frontline backs not one with a bunch of journeyman back ups.
    Agreed. Watching the Saints in the Superbowl just exposed how lacking we are with capable RB's. Mendenhall seems to be a pretty complete back where he has speed, runs with some power, and can catch which is key in our offense. Parker doesn't have much power.....some speed but not enough to compensate for the other skills he lacks at this point, and cannot catch. Moore isn't very fast, doesn't have a lot of power, but can catch.

I think we definitely need another RB that can contribute this year and they better not do something stupid and re-sign Willie Parker cause he doesn't fit what we need anymore. That move would be comparable to bringing back Tyrone Carter to play S for us.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

Re: Steelers met with Gerhart, Blount at the Senior Bowl

Being here in Pac 10 country, I have seen Blount play quite a bit. He would be a nice back-up to Mendy. He is one of those backs that will get 2-3 yards even when he gets stuffed. He is a strong runner. Yes, he is a punk and what he did at Boise State was inexcusable, but he was definitely provoked by the Boise State player. If he had stopped at punching him and had not tried to go after the fans it would have been a much smaller deal IMO. If he falls to the 5th you would be getting a very good value, I would think.

The Oregonian
    02/09/10

Blount will be an interesting player to watch during the next three months. He certainly has NFL talent but his past won’t easily be ignored.

Entering the season, NFLDraftScout.com had Blount rated as a potential second-round pick. Following the “incident” in Boise, Blount slipped to a late-round prospect, Rang said.

But after a strong showing last week, Rang believes Blount might have played his way into the fifth round.

“Teams still have to figure if they can trust the kid or not,” Rang said. “But on the field he was very impressive. He was the back that you and I both know he is."

Nevertheless, Rang said Blount’s past would certainly cost him.

"The reality is that there are still going to be a lot of teams that take him completely off their boards," Rang said.

Should Blount keep his nose clean as a pro, Rang believes he could be productive as a power back. There are questions about his agility but he has enough speed and power to succeed.

“He also displayed soft hands and helped himself in that way,” Rang said.

Pro Bowler

I like Blount; the guy is certifiably an NFL player. I hope the Boise incident holds him down, and makes him available. I don't think that will be the case though, cuz like I said: the guy is very impressive physically.

Gerhart, I don't understand why he's slipping. Is it just speed? Or wear & tear? Cuz the novelty (white RB) + character/production I would imagine would make him a higher rated prospect.

Of the two, man... I guess Gerhart. Both are strong short-yardage guys, but I always side seem to side with (flawless) character. But I'd be happy with Blount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

I dont really get the bad character thing here with Blount. I'm sorry but if an oppossing player comes and grabs me while talking out the side of his neck after my team just lost a game...I'm straight clockin him too.

I guess I'd have to be just a bad character guy too then.

Steelers 2014 Draft

1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State

Take CJ Spiller at 1.18, why wait until the 3rd or later for a good running back? :P You can never have enough good running backs.

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll