Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 108

Thread: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    [quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":294ayqeh
    This is another question he gave a stupid answer to that could of been answered. If he is serious in that answer then I say it is because we need depth at a lot of positions which doesn't exactly speak well of the job he has done replenishing the depth chart. When you finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs, I think you might want to look for more than just 'depth'....the starters are the ones that went 9-7 and out of the playoffs. How does having better backups that will take a year or two to step on the field fix 9-7?

    Q. Are there any specific depth areas that concern you? Cornerback?

    A. No. Not one more than others. When you look at your team, 9-7, you can add depth anywhere, add competition anywhere. It might be competition for the starting spot, backup spot or practice squad.
    When you lose so many games in the 4th quarter it can easily be because you don't have quality backups. Starters can get you so far, but you need good backups to finish strong.
    When is the last time in an NFL game you saw CB's pulled for their backups cause they were tired? I have never seen a CB rotation. Only way you can use that argument is with Troy and having Ty Carter as his backup. Although, I think Ty Carter woudl have been the backup no matter what with DL's love of veterans over coaching up youth.[/quote:294ayqeh]

    There are 4 safties on the roster.

    Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

    Who should have played instead of Carter?

  2. #12

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    [quote=stlrz d][quote="Mister Pittsburgh":14c1j9uk]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":14c1j9uk
    This is another question he gave a stupid answer to that could of been answered. If he is serious in that answer then I say it is because we need depth at a lot of positions which doesn't exactly speak well of the job he has done replenishing the depth chart. When you finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs, I think you might want to look for more than just 'depth'....the starters are the ones that went 9-7 and out of the playoffs. How does having better backups that will take a year or two to step on the field fix 9-7?

    Q. Are there any specific depth areas that concern you? Cornerback?

    A. No. Not one more than others. When you look at your team, 9-7, you can add depth anywhere, add competition anywhere. It might be competition for the starting spot, backup spot or practice squad.
    When you lose so many games in the 4th quarter it can easily be because you don't have quality backups. Starters can get you so far, but you need good backups to finish strong.
    When is the last time in an NFL game you saw CB's pulled for their backups cause they were tired? I have never seen a CB rotation. Only way you can use that argument is with Troy and having Ty Carter as his backup. Although, I think Ty Carter woudl have been the backup no matter what with DL's love of veterans over coaching up youth.[/quote:14c1j9uk]

    There are 4 safties on the roster.

    Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

    Who should have played instead of Carter?[/quote:14c1j9uk]


    No, you're not allowed to bring up facts while bashing coaches. Just like Gay, Carter was the best we had. In Gay's case, when we tried to give a youger guy an opportunity, he dropped an INT that cost us the game. But it's DL's fault for not "coaching up" young players.

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,265

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    He said a whole bunch of nuthin' in that.
    Yup, he did, as he should.

    I liked his comments that it is up to young players to earn their way onto the field. It is also encouraging to see him say that this draft is deep on defense. For once, the available draft class may match up well with the Steelers needs.
    good point

    seems like our needs are always what the draft is weak in

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,265

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    He said a whole bunch of nuthin' in that.
    Yup, he did, as he should.

    I liked his comments that it is up to young players to earn their way onto the field. It is also encouraging to see him say that this draft is deep on defense. For once, the available draft class may match up well with the Steelers needs.
    good point

    seems like our needs are always what the draft is weak in

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,554

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Two things I see "reading between the lines":

    1. Don't expect an offensive lineman in round 1. He goes out of his way to point out that they won a Super Bowl with an OL that has no Round 1 picks. Just doesn't seem to be the type of position he likes to take in Round 1. Right or wrong that just seems to be the way it is.

    2. Don't be surprised if the Round 1 pick IS NOT a defensive back. He has a bigger picture view that all areas can be improved he will not panic and react likes fans do and will look at the best value for the #18 pick based on who they have on their board. This tells me that we should not be surprised if the pick is: LB, DL, RB, WR or even a TE if that is who they have rated best. While the play of the defensive backfield was possibly the most glaring deficiency, don't kid ourselves that our DL and LB (especially Farrior) played lights out all season long or that we have the depth we need at a position like TE if Heath were to ever go down or at WR if Hines would get hurt or in the LB corps if one of the starters were to go down.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #16
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Hmm...by saying that depth on Defense is good, but depth on skill positions on Offense isn't good, could Colbert be indicating that the Steelers might go skill position offense early?

    RB? WR?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,815

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

    There are 4 safties on the roster.

    Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

    Who should have played instead of Carter?
    Mundy.

    I think the point some are trying to make is Carter shouldn't have been on the team to begin with. I just can't fathom Carter being the best of the rest as our #2 going into last season.

    I would have released Carter after the freaking Jacksonville playoff game.

  8. #18

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    What did you want him to do? Name his top 3 guys at each position?
    Yes

    That would really help me nail down my mock.

    Well it looks like you need some help if you think Ben Tate will last till the 6th round.
    Coming from the guy who believes Patrick Robinson is a top 18 talent.

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,212

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

    There are 4 safties on the roster.

    Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

    Who should have played instead of Carter?
    Mundy.

    I think the point some are trying to make is Carter shouldn't have been on the team to begin with. I just can't fathom Carter being the best of the rest as our #2 going into last season.

    I would have released Carter after the freaking Jacksonville playoff game.
    Carter had some good moments this season. I don't think Mundy would had done any better. They started Carter because he knows the defense better then Mundy.

    I don't believe the team thought that Carter would be starting for a significant amount of time. Unfortunately, that is what happened when Troy went down. I think Carter can fill in for a few games but not over the length of a season.

    One possible solution to a complex defensive scheme is to change it so younger players can get more opportunities. I am not sure that is an option when the Steelers have one of the great difference makers(Troy) playing. It would probably take an element of surprise away from the defense.

    The bottom line is that anytime starters go down they are difficult to replace. There was going to be a drop off one way or another no matter who they played at safety.

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678

    Re: Q & A: Colbert on the '10 Draft

    [quote=Northern_Blitz][quote="stlrz d":3cnl87kk][quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3cnl87kk]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3cnl87kk
    This is another question he gave a stupid answer to that could of been answered. If he is serious in that answer then I say it is because we need depth at a lot of positions which doesn't exactly speak well of the job he has done replenishing the depth chart. When you finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs, I think you might want to look for more than just 'depth'....the starters are the ones that went 9-7 and out of the playoffs. How does having better backups that will take a year or two to step on the field fix 9-7?

    Q. Are there any specific depth areas that concern you? Cornerback?

    A. No. Not one more than others. When you look at your team, 9-7, you can add depth anywhere, add competition anywhere. It might be competition for the starting spot, backup spot or practice squad.
    When you lose so many games in the 4th quarter it can easily be because you don't have quality backups. Starters can get you so far, but you need good backups to finish strong.
    When is the last time in an NFL game you saw CB's pulled for their backups cause they were tired? I have never seen a CB rotation. Only way you can use that argument is with Troy and having Ty Carter as his backup. Although, I think Ty Carter woudl have been the backup no matter what with DL's love of veterans over coaching up youth.[/quote:3cnl87kk]

    There are 4 safties on the roster.

    Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

    Who should have played instead of Carter?[/quote:3cnl87kk]


    No, you're not allowed to bring up facts while bashing coaches. Just like Gay, Carter was the best we had. In Gay's case, when we tried to give a youger guy an opportunity, he dropped an INT that cost us the game. But it's DL's fault for not "coaching up" young players. [/quote:3cnl87kk]

    You guys are making my point for me without even realizing it because you are too busy trying to be messageboard snobs.

    Carter was the only option, thus, this is obviously one position we need to address well above others.
    @_Hellgrammite

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •