Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: should we draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2?

Re: should we draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2?

should the Steelers consider Gerhart if he's still available in Round 3? i would say "no" to a Round 2 selection.

Gerhart jokes about only being compared to white players

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 27, 2010 5:37 PM ET

One of the laziest and more annoying phenomenons in sportswriting is that white players are only compared to white players. The same thing happens with black quarterbacks.

Stanford running back Toby Gerhart knows the phenomenon well.

"I was talking with John Lynch, and joking around with him, that he was in the same situation as a safety. We're often only compared to other quote unquote white guys that play our position," Gerhart said.

There aren't many players to choose from, so writers have stretched to say Gerhart is like John Riggins and Mike Alstott.

"I'm color blind," Gerhart said. "I'm a running back, I'd compared myself to the running styles of Eddie George and Corey Dillon." (On cue, the next question was about Gerhart playing fullback. Sigh.)

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said he's found a team that "really, really likes" Gerhart. "Some functional/scientific testing they've done suggests better athlete than perceived," Mort tweeted.

Gerhart said his goal time for the forty was "fast," which was typical of his assured time with the media. He and Joique Bell are the winners of our total meaningless and subjective favorite interview from the week.

Gerhart, who weight in at 231 pounds, looks like a second-round pick. He should go to a team looking for a power runner that welcomes contact.

But no, he doesn't play like Mike Alstott.

Hall of Famer

We could have signed the answer to all our ???s at RB last year in the form of Leonard Weaver. If we draft a RB, id like it to be a Leonard Weaver type that can catch passes as well as block like hell.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Having revised the RB/FB preferences for this season, Chadman really wants the Steelers to pick up John Conner.

When he's not fighting Terminators, this guy is the 'do it all FB that La'Ron McLain is. And a good compliment to Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore & (fingers crossed) LeMarkus Coker.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

you can add Thomas Jones' name to this list.

2010 NFL Free Agent RBs

BY RYAN R. BONINI ON FEBRUARY 25, 2010

Some big names on the free-agent market...

There is plenty of talent amongst the restricted group of free-agent backs, and recent releases of LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook, Thomas Jones and Jamal Lewis toss some big names into the unrestricted pool. The restricted players will cost draft picks – some rather high ones - while the released vets offer far more questions than answers.

2010 Free Agent Running Backs

Pierre Thomas, New Orleans Saints – Restricted

Could he be a feature back?
    If Thomas could stay healthy and didn’t have to deal with so many bodies in the Saints’ backfield, his numbers would probably be a lot more impressive.
    Despite being nicked up a lot, he has been active for 15 games in each of the past two seasons. Thomas has averaged close to five-yards-per-carry in each of his first three seasons, and also catches the ball quite well. I’m not ready to say he is capable of being an every-down feature back over the course of the season, but he does a little bit of everything well and is just 25 years old. The potential for him to be dominating is definitely there, now the stars just need to align for it to happen.
    The restricted free-agent status, however, makes it difficult for other teams to jump on board, especially if he receives a first-round tender. With that in mind, I anticipate him remaining in New Orleans, which is an offense that fits his skill set well.
    Chester Taylor, Minnesota Vikings – Unrestricted

Many years, not so many miles...
    Taylor is entering his ninth NFL season, which typically would make you think twice about him being an attractive free-agent option. The kicker, though, is he doesn’t have a lot of mileage. He has just one 300-carry season on his resume, which came in 2006, when he rushed for a career-high 1,214 yards and six touchdowns. Overall, in eight seasons, he has touched the ball more than 160 times in a year just three times.
    The Vikings still seem interested in keeping him, as he is a strong insurance policy and No. 2 back. However, other teams may be more willing to give him one last final contract that pays him fair value for a year or two as a starter.
    The two things that do worry me, though, are: 1) Taylor will turn 31 during the 2010 season. 2) Taylor has averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry the past two seasons. Typically, change-of-pace backs like him are able to pop off at a higher yardage click.

LenDale White, Tennessee Titans – Restricted
    With all of the camera time and statistics going to Chris Johnson in Tennessee, many forgot White was on roster last year. He had just 64 carries, almost 75 percent less than he saw the year before, and his touchdowns fell from 15 to just two.
    Big, bruising backs, like White, do not have a long shelf life; the lower touches last year should have him fresher than ever entering 2010. White may be easily plucked away by a team looking to deploy a strong running game, as he wants to be the primary back and the Titans are comfy with Chris Johnson in that role.
    I’ve never been a big White fan, but he showed in 2007 he can be a 1,000-yard back and his size allows him to work it inside the 5.

Jerome Harrison, Cleveland Browns – Restricted
    Browns general manager Tom Heckert said it so well regarding Harrison, I’m not to paraphrase: “He did a heck of a job at the end of the season, but whether a guy like Jerome can carry the ball that much throughout the whole season, that’s a little difficult to say.”
    Harrison will probably land a first-round tender, making it a sure thing he’ll be back in Cleveland next year. Unfortunately, he just doesn’t have enough statistical history for a team to make a significant investment and, as Heckert said, there are questions about him being able to do it season long.
    When he was good last year, he was dominating. He rattled off 286 yards against the Chiefs in Week 15, 148 against the Raiders in Week 16 and 127 yards against the Jaguars in Week 17, while scoring five touchdowns. Great numbers, but keep in mind the level of competition he did it against, too. Either way, fantasy football teams rode him to championships.

Ronnie Brown, Miami Dolphins – Restricted
    Brown gives everyone a lot to like when he’s on the field. The problem is, keeping him on the field. Injury problems have plagued him throughout his NFL career, and he has made it 16 games just once in five years.
    He will probably be stuck in Miami for another year, as he is still recovering from foot surgery and hopes to be cleared in time for training camp — an issue any other team may not be willing to wait on or invest in.
    Remarkably, he has found ways to bounce back statistically after each injury. He has never averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry and has 18 rushing touchdowns in the last two seasons.

LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers – Released
    I don’t think LT is done yet, at least not if he is in the right system. I was going to blog on this soon, but KFFL’s own Cory J. Bonini beat me to the punch. Tomlinson, too, still thinks he can play; and he only wants to play for a contender, as his time is running short.
    The options for Tomlinson will be slim, that’s for sure, and the little interest we’ve seen in the likes of Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander over the last few years doesn’t bode well for another vet back with a ton of mileage.
    At the very least, with his nose for the end zone, he would make a damn good goal-line back for some team.

Darren Sproles, San Diego Chargers – Released
    Depending on what a team needs, Sproles could be higher – or lower – on this list. He is lightning in a bottle and a tremendous special teams player. But, regardless of what most Chargers’ fans seem to think, he is not and never will be an every-down back. He could be a perfect compliment to a feature back elsewhere and also quickly up a team’s special teams sauce. He will, however, come at a healthy price.

Larry Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals – Unrestricted
    Johnson probably deserves to be a little higher on the list, but his off-the-field and locker room problems from the past, will force teams to do a double take before even breaking down what skills he still has as a runner.
    In his prime, few backs ran with the same amount of authority as LJ. He didn’t run around people even though he could, he ran through them… and he liked to. We saw some flashes in Cincinnati after he got out of the plague of Kansas City last year, but there are still serious questions remaining how much he has lost after all of the touches, yardage and abuse he took in a short number of years in KC.

Kevin Faulk, New England Patriots – Unrestricted
    Faulk is perfect in his change-of-pace, third-down role the Patriots have used him in. He is getting up there in years, but with his reduced role he still has plenty of juice left in the tank to keep on doing what he does. I have a hard time seeing him leave New England, even if more money is offered, because the two work so well together.

Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles – Released
    Few backs are as fluid in the receiving game as they are in the running game, and Westbrook ranks right up there near the top. However, staying on the field has been a serious problem during his career and further escalated last year with two concussions and eight games on the sidelines.
    There has been speculation of retirement, but it sounds like he may give it another whirl. Now that the Eagles have released him, that may give him one more reason to strongly consider the retirement option if another Super Bowl contender doesn’t come knocking.

Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Restricted

Knees are on borrowed time...
    Cadillac actually made it 16 games last season, the first time in his five-year career that happened. However, his knees are on borrowed time, his yards per carry has been over 4.0 just once – and barely – during his career and he is a major injury liability. I have to tip the hat to him for his heart and determination; unfortunately he doesn’t have a body that can hold up its end of the bargain.

Willie Parker, Pittsburgh Steelers – Unrestricted
    Fast Willie Parker he isn’t anymore, and he was never able to get on track last year despite entering the season healthier and more dedicated than he had in a number of years. A running back hungry team, which there aren’t a lot of right now, may be interested, but there is upside with the younger backs coming out of college, who also come at a much cheaper price.

Jamal Lewis, Cleveland Browns – Released
    Talks of retirement were clear last year. Will he give it one more year with another ball club? With a lot of miles and the way veteran backs seem to disappear quietly into the night, Lewis’ days are probably numbered.

I know alot of people would foo foo this idea but I would love to bring in a couple FA running backs to free up the draft. Sproles and White. I know alot of people don't like White but he can run between the tackles...and Sproles would be an improvement on STs and as our third down back.

If we can get tougher in the trenches and improve our defensive backfield (and younger on D-line and safety), we will be a much improved team. I hope this draft is focused there, esp in early rounds.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL