Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: should we let Jeff Reed go?

Re: should we let Jeff Reed go?

Reed ans Sepulveda are the least of the Steelers' worries this off season. I would love for Reed to stay, the same for Sepulveda, but not at a price above market value for either. Sepulveda is middle of the pack, except in downing the ball inside the 20, so you give him a little premium for that and make him an offer.

Reed is clutch on fields goals in any stadium and deserves fair market value for his services. Inside 50, he's money and 50 plus not so much, his KOs leave a lot to be desired and so, a reasonable offer should do the trick. If someone is willing to pay him over the top then let him walk. One's a kicker and one's a punter they play about 7-8 plays per game. There are guys out there that can replace them.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Reed is obviously a seriously good FG kicker, worth keeping. Hang a Sheetz sign he can aim for behind the goalposts and the touchbacks go up to 50%.

Sep is good, too, will be even better. He holds well for the PK. Good teammate.
    I think his words about not being as good as Reed at KO's may have been just that, being a good teammate.

we need someone else to kick off, don't you think that should be the job of our kicker?

TEAM RANKINGS

The NFL's 32 teams are ranked in 22 kicking-game categories and assigned points according to their standing in each category (one for the best through 32 for the worst). This is a composite score for those categories:

Rk. Team Points
    1. Cleveland 215.5
    2. Tampa Bay 256.5
    3. Buffalo 274
    4. Cowboys 288
    5. NY Jets 296.5
    6. Chicago 302
    7. San Diego 320
    8. Arizona 320.5
    9. Minnesota 325.5
    10. Miami 327.5
    11. Seattle 330
    12. Kansas City 341
    13. Oakland 342.5
    14. Atlanta 357
    15. Pittsburgh 360.5
    16. New England 361.5
    17. Philadelphia 367.5
    18. Baltimore 369
    18. St. Louis 369
    20. NY Giants 384
    21. San Francisco 391
    22. Houston 394.5
    23. Cincinnati 397
    24. Denver 402
    25. Detroit 413.5
    26. Tennessee 424
    27. Washington 426.5
    28. Indianapolis 432.5
    29. New Orleans 441.5
    30. Jacksonville 452
    31. Green Bay 460.5
    32. Carolina 473

OPP. STARTING POINT
    Best: Atlanta, 21.4-yard line

Worst: Pittsburgh, 31.3-yard line

POINTS ALLOWED
    Best: 9 teams tied with 0

Worst: Pittsburgh, 30

I don't go for, "Reed kicks better than any other kicker who comes to Heinz Field because it's his home field. " Remember Chris Brown? Reed's kickoffs are nothing to write home about but if another Chris Brown comes to Heinz it will cost the Steelers many more games than the kickoffs.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Herewegosteelers!
    I don't go for, "Reed kicks better than any other kicker who comes to Heinz Field because it's his home field. " Remember Chris Brown? Reed's kickoffs are nothing to write home about but if another Chris Brown comes to Heinz it will cost the Steelers many more games than the kickoffs.
    i dont buy that either. the other two reasons make sense but not that one. kris brown was horrid. he is the reason i want the steelers to re-sign reed. i cant watch another kris brown come in and stink it up. reed's kickoffs are awful but kickoffs are not half as important as kicking field goals. reed is about as automatic as any field goal kicker in the league. i also think he will grow up. he is around 30 i believe. he got arrested a couple times so maybe now he will clean his act up. he seems like he has a drinking problem which is a shame.

The Q&A from Aronson seems to be little more than baseless speculation.

As I've said before, I think we're all really going to regret it if Reed leaves. He is nearly automatic on FGs. The Bears game is the only game I can remember in the past few years where he didn't come through. If we run him out of town, who is going to replace him? I think he's a lot harder to upgrade than many people assume.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    The Q&A from Aronson seems to be little more than baseless speculation.

As I've said before, I think we're all really going to regret it if Reed leaves. He is nearly automatic on FGs. The Bears game is the only game I can remember in the past few years where he didn't come through. If we run him out of town, who is going to replace him? I think he's a lot harder to upgrade than many people assume.

The Steelers were seen talking with K Brett Swenson from Michigan St at the Senior Bowl, Swenson is also known for his long kickoffs. I think he would be worth a 7th round selection to give Jeff Reed some competition.

Brett Swenson helps draft stock

BY SHANNON SHELTON
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Michigan State kicker Brett Swenson recently delivered an impressive performance in the Senior Bowl that should help him in his quest to play in the NFL.

Kicker Brett Swenson, who finished his career as MSU's leader in field goals (71), extra points (164) and points scored (377), accounted for seven points in the Senior Bowl on Saturday in Mobile, Ala. Swenson kicked a 43-yard field goal and made four PATs to help the North team to a 31-13 win over the South.

Nfldrafscout.com has Swenson projected as a seventh-round pick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legend

I wouldn't let Reed go... but if we find a young guy with a decent leg I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I agree with whoever said Reed does well at home because well, it's his home! LOL!!!
    That makes sense...

my real issue is with the touchbacks.. I would love to get the stat on how many opposing kickers had touchbacks at our field.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Herewegosteelers!
    i dont buy that either. the other two reasons make sense but not that one. kris brown was horrid. he is the reason i want the steelers to re-sign reed. i cant watch another kris brown come in and stink it up. reed's kickoffs are awful but kickoffs are not half as important as kicking field goals. reed is about as automatic as any field goal kicker in the league. i also think he will grow up. he is around 30 i believe. he got arrested a couple times so maybe now he will clean his act up. he seems like he has a drinking problem which is a shame.

why do you get the impression that it seems like Reed has a drinking problem?

maybe I should get a drinking problem...
    Attached Images Attached Images