Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, more serious SB question on how Manning got beat...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: OK, more serious SB question on how Manning got beat...

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Addai and Brown both were running the ball well. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear in a couple of days that Peyton kept checking out of run plays or something...
    I think the Saints said they were playing the pass all game. It was obvious the run game was there. I kept thinking for such a bad running team they look damn good. Addai was breaking tackles and moving the chains. I think Peyton went back to old Peyton mode and forced the pass when it wasn't there.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Addai and Brown both were running the ball well. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear in a couple of days that Peyton kept checking out of run plays or something...
    I think the Saints said they were playing the pass all game. It was obvious the run game was there. I kept thinking for such a bad running team they look damn good. Addai was breaking tackles and moving the chains. I think Peyton went back to old Peyton mode and forced the pass when it wasn't there.
    The funny part is that I was watching highlights from the Colts/Bears SB earlier in the day and they were talking about how the Colts running game came alive in that game and did very well.

It looked like a repeat of that at first against the Saints but then they just abandoned it. It was a stupid move. The lanes were there to run through. The spread offense did well in creating spaces for the RB and the Saints LB's kept dropping back into coverage. Peyton's ego definitely got the best of him and the Colts yesterday...

EDIT: Just looked up the stats from the Colts/Bears SB:

Dominic Rhodes 21 carries 113 yards
    Joseph Addai 19 carries 77 yards

They could have done that with Addai and Brown, but didn't...

Legend

User Info Menu

So after the Colts stopped the Saints on 4th down - why'd they run 3 straight running plays, that didn't get 10 yards and have to punt it away with time left for N.O. to get that Field Goal. Why didn't Manning pick up at least one 1st down throwing the ball and most likely wiping out the clock?

Legend

User Info Menu

Just looked up the stats from the Colts/Bears SB:

Yeah, that's the combined 40 carries for 190 yards that I noted 4 posts ago!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Just looked up the stats from the Colts/Bears SB:

Yeah, that's the combined 40 carries for 190 yards that I noted 4 posts ago!
    My bad, I blame the oversight on it being Monday...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    they did run the ball. but their backs SUCK so they weren't able to control the game. remember all those tackles for loss? Addai is what everyone says FWP is. feast or famine. though parker will usually get back to the LOS rather than take a 3 or 4 yard loss like JA.
    What game were you watching? Addai was killing them and had a nice amount of 5 to 10 yard runs.

Peyton threw the ball 50 times. It was the Pats strategy and it worked to perfection. On the biggest stage, the playoffs, Peyton usually thinks he can pass his way out of anything.

In fact, when the Colts were winning and Addai was gashing the Saints I remember thinking that this kid would end up MVP if that kept up and not Peyton.
    That's probably what Peyton was thinking too. How dare Addai steal HIS spotlight???
    In the Super Bowl that the Colts won, Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai combined for 40 carries and 190 yards (4.75 YPC) and 1 TD.

Manning's numbers were rather pedestrian (25-38 for 247 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), but they were better than Rex Grossman (20-28 for 165 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's).
    I can't remember who was the MVP of that SB?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Peyton Manning
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    they did run the ball. but their backs SUCK so they weren't able to control the game. remember all those tackles for loss? Addai is what everyone says FWP is. feast or famine. though parker will usually get back to the LOS rather than take a 3 or 4 yard loss like JA.
    Really? Are you sure about that? The Colts only ran 27% of their offensive plays and were averaging 5.6 ypc. Sounds to me like the run game was working but Peyton had to be the golden child and take the game on his back. If they are allowing you to run for 5.5 ypc why not run more than 27% of the time?
    There was much more that went into the game then just being able to run the ball. There were some situations the Saints defense played the pass and the run was available. There were times they had 3 Dlinemen or 4 dlinemen. It appeared that Manning changed some pass plays to runs based on the Saints alignment up front. There were times Manning did a good job and times the Saints did a good job. The Saints did a good job changing things up till they reached the point where they were able to stop the run. It was not like the Colts just lined up and ran the ball on the Saints. It was a chess match.