Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, more serious SB question on how Manning got beat...

OK, more serious SB question on how Manning got beat...

Obviously I was pulling for him to get beat all game.

And I was screaming at the TV - get pressure on him, make him scramble!!! 'Cause of course that's how we won in 2005, getting him out of his comfort zone. Happy feet, and a loss.

But to my eye, the Saints seemed to not be able to get to him, and (notable exception the pick 6) didn't even seem to try and pressure him much.

Heard on the radio today that the Saints D was basically challenging Manning to win with the run, because they were going to cover his receivers heavily.

Though a good strategy against most QBs, but I never thought that would work against Manning - I always figured that given enough time (which he would get if the defense only rushed 3 or so), he WOULD find the open man and march downfield.

BOLD defensive scheme by the Saints, IMO.

Thoughts?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Re: OK, more serious SB question on how Manning got beat...

If that's true it speaks volumes about Mannings ability to adjust a game plan. Why not run the ball Peyton?

Hall of Famer

they did run the ball. but their backs SUCK so they weren't able to control the game. remember all those tackles for loss? Addai is what everyone says FWP is. feast or famine. though parker will usually get back to the LOS rather than take a 3 or 4 yard loss like JA.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    they did run the ball. but their backs SUCK so they weren't able to control the game. remember all those tackles for loss? Addai is what everyone says FWP is. feast or famine. though parker will usually get back to the LOS rather than take a 3 or 4 yard loss like JA.
    Really? Are you sure about that? The Colts only ran 27% of their offensive plays and were averaging 5.6 ypc. Sounds to me like the run game was working but Peyton had to be the golden child and take the game on his back. If they are allowing you to run for 5.5 ypc why not run more than 27% of the time?

Legend

What game were you watching? Addai was killing them and had a nice amount of 5 to 10 yard runs.

Peyton threw the ball 50 times. It was the Pats strategy and it worked to perfection. On the biggest stage, the playoffs, Peyton usually thinks he can pass his way out of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    What game were you watching? Addai was killing them and had a nice amount of 5 to 10 yard runs.

Peyton threw the ball 50 times. It was the Pats strategy and it worked to perfection. On the biggest stage, the playoffs, Peyton usually thinks he can pass his way out of anything.

In fact, when the Colts were winning and Addai was gashing the Saints I remember thinking that this kid would end up MVP if that kept up and not Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

In fact, when the Colts were winning and Addai was gashing the Saints I remember thinking that this kid would end up MVP if that kept up and not Peyton.
    That's probably what Peyton was thinking too. How dare Addai steal HIS spotlight???

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

That's probably what Peyton was thinking too. How dare Addai steal HIS spotlight???
    In the Super Bowl that the Colts won, Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai combined for 40 carries and 190 yards (4.75 YPC) and 1 TD.

Manning's numbers were rather pedestrian (25-38 for 247 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), but they were better than Rex Grossman (20-28 for 165 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's).

Pro Bowler

Addai and Brown both were running the ball well. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear in a couple of days that Peyton kept checking out of run plays or something...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Addai and Brown were running the ball well. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear in a couple of days that Peyton kept checking out of run plays or something...
    It has been reported that the sideline typically sends him 2 pass play options and 1 run play option for every snap. Peyton's antics at the L.O.S. typically signal which of those choices he picks to run, so the run-pass ratio is pretty much squarely on Peyton's shoulders.