Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peyton Manning is just average and is to blame for loss!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Peyton Manning is just average and is to blame for loss!!

Peyton Manning: Back to being a choker?
    By MJD

Forgive the provocative headline, but I'm sure that's a thought running through the heads of many right now. It's worth addressing.

Once upon a time, the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning(notes) had a reputation as a guy who gagged in big games. After years of great quarterbacking with no ring, he eventually broke through and won Super Bowl XLI against the Chicago Bears, and it seemed that the choke-artist reputation was put to bed.

What about now, though? He just played in one of the two biggest games of his life, and not only did he not win, but it was an interception that came out of his hand that turned the game. If he makes a better decision or a better throw there, we might have an entirely different story right now.

So what do we make of this? Is Manning a guy who had to play a Rex Grossman(notes)-led team in order to win a Super Bowl, and then folded like a lawn chair when he had to play a good team in a big game?

Or is he a great quarterback who's proved he's clutch, and he just happened to lose one to a team of destiny?

I say we avoid the tendency to draw any knee-jerk conclusions on this one. I know it's fun to make sweeping judgments right after a Super Bowl, and it'll make for fun conversations at the water cooler tomorrow. I get that. Right or wrong, Super Bowls are probably the single biggest factor in carving out legacies.

But that one throw isn't going to define Peyton Manning. He's past the point in his career where he needs to prove anything. To me, once a guy gets over that hump and proves he can nail down a big game, then it's never a question again. Peyton Manning isn't a guy who needs to create a legacy. This is a guy who already has one, and can only add to it.

And besides, I'm not even sure if the interception was his fault. ESPN analyst Steve Young just finished explaining why the interception falls on the shoulders of Reggie Wayne(notes) more than it does on Manning. It's Wayne's job to cut underneath the defender and shield him from that football. You won't hear Manning blame anyone but himself, but Young -- who knows a thing or two about shedding a "can't win the big game" reputation -- will give the more honest assessment.

There are plenty of other Colts who can take their share of the blame, too. The defense, which allowed Drew Brees(notes) to pick it apart. The special teams unit, particularly Hank Baskett(notes), who couldn't come up with that football. The receivers who dropped perfect Manning passes.

It wasn't his best game, but it's not like Manning went out there and played like he was blindfolded, either. He still went 31-of-45 for 333 yards and a touchdown with the interception. There were some brilliant throws in there, too, like the touchdown pass to Pierre Garcon(notes) and the one he dropped into Dallas Clark's(notes) breadbasket in heavy traffic.

It's one game. Manning's career is, and will continue to be, above any one throw, even if it did come in the biggest possible game.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    so Marino was average too?
    When it mattered most...the post season...yep!!
    i dont remember marino ever playing badly in the postseason. i remember marino playing on some average dolphin teams though

Legend

User Info Menu

This game was the confluence of a couple events that didn't bode well for the Colts.

Number one, they ran into a team that played to win the game, rather than "not lose" it.

Number two, they ran into a quarterback that could match Manning throw for throw if necessary.

Number three, the Saints defense was able to make enough plays to slow down the Colts offense and Manning didn't seem to have the patience to take the easier throws. There was a third down late in the game and the Colts needing to keep a drive alive and he goes for the TD to Garcon (I think) and Clark was open underneath on a little drag route for the first. I think Manning lost his patience, which is rare.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't like Manning at all, but he is certainly better than an "average" qb. He made some great throws last night, after some perfect throws against the Jets.

I do think that Manning should accept the blame for the loss. After the SB against the Bears, he couldn't grab the spotlight and take credit for the win quickly enough, even though his RB tandem likely had more to do with that win than he did. Against the Steelers in 2005, he couldn't throw his offensive line under the bus quickly enough after the loss.

He loves taking credit for victories, so I hope that he stands up and takes full blame for the loss.

Legend

User Info Menu

WITHOUT Manning, the Colts wouldn't have even made the playoffs...He is clearly better than an "average" QB.

Did he make a bad decision in crunch time yesterday? Yes.

Is he the best ever? No, I don't think so.

Does he get overhyped a lot of the time? Yes.

I'm not a big Peyton fan, either. But "average"? C'mon. You make yourself look like a dolt when you say things like that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Sorry, I think it's just silly to call Manning average. Just start with Superbowl wins - how many qb's have won? Then you look at his numbers, saying he's just average is like saying Marino is just average.

Now is he to blame for this loss? I'll go with that since it's said he makes the calls at the line. Can blame the Colts D too, I suppose, but I think his QB average was only in the 80s today.

I have a feeling that pic is going to turn out to be like O'Donnel's - the receiver should have turned in, and the ball was thrown early to where he should have been. Still the QB fault (don't throw it like that with a defender in the area).

One area where he is less than average - sportmanship. He comes across consistently as a spoiled brat.
    Well think what you want..in the post season and in the super bowls(which is what this thread is about), he has been exactly that---average. 9-9 and 1-1. Those are facts. Those are numbers that equate to average.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry, I think it's just silly to call Manning average. Just start with Superbowl wins - how many qb's have won? Then you look at his numbers, saying he's just average is like saying Marino is just average.

Now is he to blame for this loss? I'll go with that since it's said he makes the calls at the line. Can blame the Colts D too, I suppose, but I think his QB average was only in the 80s today.

I have a feeling that pic is going to turn out to be like O'Donnel's - the receiver should have turned in, and the ball was thrown early to where he should have been. Still the QB fault (don't throw it like that with a defender in the area).

One area where he is less than average - sportmanship. He comes across consistently as a spoiled brat.
    Well think what you want..in the post season and in the super bowls(which is what this thread is about), he has been exactly that---average. 9-9 and 1-1. Those are facts. Those are numbers that equate to average.
    Just wondering - would you call Marino average too?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've already replied to that same question in this thread...but I'll do it again.

When it counted most---post season---yes Dan Marino was average.

This isnt about what they did in a regualr season.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":qwtqvpxp

I've already replied to that same question in this thread...but I'll do it again.

When it counted most---post season---yes Dan Marino was average.

This isnt about what they did in a regualr season.
    [/quote:qwtqvpxp]

Well, then, I believe you are correct. I couldn't tell from the actual title of your post that you meant regular season only. If you clarified that in your first post, sorry, mea culpa!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

he also burned a TO at the end of the game where even if they did score would have allowed the saints to run most of the clock out.

once again, come crunch time he got flustered