Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting: 2nd year in a row the worst running team ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting: 2nd year in a row the worst running team ...

... worst running team in the league makes it to the Superbowl - Cards last year/Colts this year.

Hmmm, can this be true? I heard it about the Colts this year, but can't confirm. They just said this about the Cards last year on the XLIII replay.

Says something about "gotta run to win". I guess it's, "Can you get a 1st and 1 when you need it" that's important, more than overall ranking?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting: 2nd year in a row the worst running team ...

Look at your sig, it shows what happened to the worst running game in the league...
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Look at your sig, it shows what happened to the worst running game in the league...
    Yeah, they get run OVER.

Think the Colts will too?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably not...but the Saints are not exactly stout in the running department either. I do not believe you have to be able to run the ball to win games but it helps. But, if you can't run...you better be able to score in the red zone. The Steelers could pass but couldn't finish...either in the red zone or in the 4th. The O has to own up to there part and their part was leaving alot of points on the field. They must get better in the red zone...and if that means getting better in the running game...great.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Probably not...but the Saints are not exactly stout in the running department either. I do not believe you have to be able to run the ball to win games but it helps. But, if you can't run...you better be able to score in the red zone. The Steelers could pass but couldn't finish...either in the red zone or in the 4th. The O has to own up to there part and their part was leaving alot of points on the field. They must get better in the red zone...and if that means getting better in the running game...great.
    I believe the Saints are the 4th or 5th best running team in all of the NFL based on yards per game. I know their running attack is better than people know, because, everyone always talks about Brees and the passing game.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    ... worst running team in the league makes it to the Superbowl - Cards last year/Colts this year.

Hmmm, can this be true? I heard it about the Colts this year, but can't confirm. They just said this about the Cards last year on the XLIII replay.

Says something about "gotta run to win". I guess it's, "Can you get a 1st and 1 when you need it" that's important, more than overall ranking?

You may want to send this note over to the owner (who apparently feels like going back to the Bill Cowher offense). We didn't win a single Super Bowl with a run first offense. In fact, the one Super Bowl we made before Ben got here under Cowher was when the Steelers were running a wide open offense with 3 and 4 wide receivers.

I am afraid next year's offense will operate on Rooney's directive to run it more and that will only make things worse. Ben is the best player on the offense. The ball should be in his hand most of the time. I can't imagine Irsay going to Caldwell and telling him to run it more rather than have Manning throw the ball. Meanwhile there is silence from ownership regarding all the fourth quarter collapses we witnessed last year. The Steelers would have won the division with this offense if the defense could figure out how to stop the pass late in the game. Even some of the games the Steelers won last year required watching the defense look pathetic in the fourth quarter (Lions, Chargers, Dolphins).
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion

You may want to send this note over to the owner (who apparently feels like going back to the Bill Cowher offense). We didn't win a single Super Bowl with a run first offense. In fact, the one Super Bowl we made before Ben got here under Cowher was when the Steelers were running a wide open offense with 3 and 4 wide receivers.

I am afraid next year's offense will operate on Rooney's directive to run it more and that will only make things worse. Ben is the best player on the offense. The ball should be in his hand most of the time. I can't imagine Irsay going to Caldwell and telling him to run it more rather than have Manning throw the ball. Meanwhile there is silence from ownership regarding all the fourth quarter collapses we witnessed last year. The Steelers would have won the division with this offense if the defense could figure out how to stop the pass late in the game. Even some of the games the Steelers won last year required watching the defense look pathetic in the fourth quarter (Lions, Chargers, Dolphins).
    Rooney didn't say we need to run it more. He said we need to run it more effectively.

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree that you need to be a quick strike offense now a days but when you impose your force on a team, control the clock or punch it in, you need that run game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I believe the Saints are the 4th or 5th best running team in all of the NFL based on yards per game. I know their running attack is better than people know, because, everyone always talks about Brees and the passing game.

Pappy
    Yeah they are 6th...never really think of them as a team that can run because they don't have a 1000 yard rusher. Guess when you have 3 guys who can carry the ball well you don't need one.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion

Rooney didn't say we need to run it more. He said we need to run it more effectively.

$$$

This is what I have been preaching for many seasons. Balance...ability to do it all. We couldn't finish this year...and you finish games by converting firsts and keeping the clock running. You best do that with a solid running attack. I don't believe we have to be a run first team...I would even argue that would be foolish with our current talent. But, you need to be able to run effectively in certain situations and that's where we need to improve.
    Trolls are people too.