Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning's game prep

Legend

User Info Menu

Peyton Manning's game prep

I don't want to start a flame war, and I'm definitely about as far from a Peyton Manning fan as there can be, BUT ... it is pretty darn impressive how much this dude prepares for games.

I wish Ben, either by more studying or ANY other means that "works for him" would learn to read defenses as well, or even partially as well, as Manning.

He's relatively young, but the clock is ticking. If he doesn't step up that part of his game this coming year or next, I think what we see is what we'll always have.

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/sports/football/07manning.html?ref=sports"]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/sport ... ref=sports[/url]

The New York Times

February 7, 2010
    Peyton Manning’s Case for Being the Best Ever
    By JUDY BATTISTA

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The Indianapolis Colts were trailing Houston, 17-0, when the Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing glanced up to see Colts quarterback Peyton Manning looking in the direction of the defense’s huddle. In those few seconds of quiet before the chaos at the line of scrimmage, Cushing saw Manning nodding his head. Up and down. Up and down.

Uh-oh.

“He was sizing us up,” Cushing said. “I had that feeling right then that he was locked in and that might be it.”

It was. Manning threw a 20-yard completion to start that drive and a touchdown pass to finish it, igniting a comeback that resulted in another Indianapolis victory.

Others might not have noticed the precise moment that Manning dissected their defenses and took over a game, the way Cushing did in November, but almost every other opponent in the N.F.L. has known the feeling.

Two weeks before Cushing’s epiphany, New England Coach Bill Belichick felt it so acutely that he made the most controversial call of the season, to try for a first down on fourth-and-2 with two minutes left because he knew that if Manning got the ball back, the Patriots would lose. Like Cushing, Belichick was right.

The Colts enter Sunday’s Super Bowl as favorites over the New Orleans Saints because Manning is not just the league’s most valuable player for the fourth time, but also the dominant player of his generation.

He has led Indianapolis to at least 12 victories in 8 of his 12 seasons, but this season may have been his most extraordinary. With the league’s lowest-rated running game and two inexperienced receivers, Manning threw for 4,500 yards, only 57 off his career high, and completed 68.8 percent of his passes, the highest accuracy rate of his career, while being sacked only 10 times, the fewest of his career.

Each season, Manning inches closer to the most gilded pantheon in sports: the best quarterbacks in history. The background music of this Super Bowl has been the water-cooler conversations about Manning’s ranking. Top two? Better than Tom Brady? Is Joe Montana No. 1?

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas executive who squired the Cowboys great Roger Staubach through the media center here, said Manning was the best quarterback ever. So did Tom Moore, the Colts’ offensive coordinator, who also coached the Steelers Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw.

The defenses Manning faces — with exotic blitzes and liberal substitutions — are far more complex and difficult to master than those in the past, Brandt said. And the Colts run a no-huddle offense almost exclusively, so Manning has just a few seconds to decipher the defense at the line of scrimmage, change the protections for the offensive line, adjust the routes for his receivers, then call the play, producing his familiar conductor-in-cleats performance art before the snap.

Manning, 33, is nowhere near the end of his career. The Colts’ owner, Jim Irsay, promised last week to give him the biggest contract in N.F.L. history, so it seems inevitable that Manning will reach the top of the list, if he is not already there. The only remaining hurdle for Manning has been the number of championship rings on his fingers. Brady has three with the Patriots, but Manning has eclipsed him in every other way, particularly in the last two years.

“I thought he should be up at the top three years ago,” said Tony Dungy, a former Colts coach who is now an analyst on NBC’s “Football Night in America.” “The championships are fickle and fragile, Dwight Freeney gets hurt and maybe someone else gets hurt and you don’t win a championship. Does that take away from where he is in the scope of the league?

“If two championships will solidify that in peoples’ minds, great. He’s been as much of a factor on this offense as any quarterback in the history of football. He has dominated his era, like no one except maybe Otto Graham.”

Graham played 10 seasons of professional football and took his team to the championship game each season, winning seven of them. He is known as one of the greatest winners in pro sports history. It is not by accident that Manning is compared to him. Manning’s drive is so great that his quarterbacks coach, Frank Reich, who backed up Jim Kelly in Buffalo, says he wonders when Manning lets his hair down. But even as a child, a son of the Saints’ beloved quarterback Archie Manning, Manning was intensely focused on success.

“The first time Peyton played on an organized baseball team, it was coach-pitch,” Archie Manning said. “They were getting beat pretty bad every game. But the coach would always tell them they tied. I’d be driving him home, and Peyton would say, ‘This coach must think we’re stupid, we’re getting beat so bad.’ From that day, I thought Peyton doesn’t like to lose much.”

Each off-season, Manning and his coaches watch tapes of the entire season, and he takes notes on what he needs to work on. By the beginning of the next season, Manning’s command of the offense is complete. At the beginning of a game week, he leads the meetings with his coaches — he arrives with a plan for the meetings, Reich said — and doles out assignments to find plays to help confirm or refute his impressions of the opponent from hours of rigorous film study on his laptop.

Those meetings are conducted with as much as urgency as there is in a game, as if a wasted moment, like a wasted play, could undermine the entire enterprise. Manning often sends texts messages to Reich, alerting him to plays he thinks are useful. Manning has a network of football confidants, Reich said, including the injured backup Jim Sorgi, center Jeff Saturday, the offensive line coach Howard Mudd and Moore.

“We are the research-and-development team,” Reich said. “He’ll come out early in the week and say: ‘Here is what I’m seeing. Here is how I envision this.’ ”

Of his thirst for film, Manning said: “I knew that’s where I was going to try to gain some type of edge. I knew I wasn’t going to run away from guys or throw through three guys. My idea was to try to have a good sense of where they were going to be. I never left the field saying, ‘I could have done more to get ready for this team.’ ”

For each snap on game day, Moore suggests three options to choose from — two passes and one run — but Manning has the final say. Offensive tackle Ryan Diem estimated that 95 percent of the time, Manning makes at least one change to the call at the line. Manning is often compared to Dan Marino, a Miami Dolphins Hall of Famer, who had the power to call his own plays in the two-minute offense. “We got hand signals, but not 95 percent of the time,” Marino said. “He’s doing more of that than anybody has ever done.”

In this year’s A.F.C. championship game against the Jets, Manning ignored Moore’s suggestions — Moore, who said it was a privilege to coach him, did not seem to mind — and called the plays for a touchdown drive.

Manning is the most aggressive player Reich has ever seen, wanting to throw deep on every play. Between series, Manning is continually adjusting — looking at pictures of the defensive alignments, asking his receivers what routes they think they can run. In an era when coaches dictate the play selection via a headset in the quarterback’s ear, Manning turns the traditional roles for game planning on their heads.

“Most of it is his,” Reich said. “His mind is always going, he’s formulating a plan, synthesizing all this information that he is hearing, seeing, studying from other people. He’s listening, but he’s going to call the shots. There might not be another one like him, who does it like he does it.”

Dungy said he suspected that from his first regular-season game as the Colts’ coach in 2002. He had watched all of the tape of Manning coming into that season, and he observed him during camp. But on the first drive of the season, against Jacksonville, Manning took the Colts 96 yards for a touchdown, his play elevated from the preseason. His passes were sharp and crisp, as if “everything was on fire,” Dungy said.

In the years since, Dungy said, he often sensed what Cushing, Belichick and the Jets experienced this season — that Manning had figured out the defense and the game was over. For Dungy, that feeling reached its zenith in the 2006 season’s A.F.C. championship game as Manning led the Colts back from a 21-6 halftime deficit against the Patriots. That game is often considered the turning point for the Colts and Manning, when they toppled their greatest rivals and seized N.F.L. supremacy.

But on that day in Jacksonville, Dungy had seen enough. He turned to Moore and gave voice to what will be said about Manning for years to come:

“This guy is really good.”

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Peyton Manning's game prep

Although I will be pulling for Brees & the Saints, at the end of the day if Peyton Manning is hoisting the strap, it will be well deserved and I won't have any ill will at all. Can't get upset with someone winning when you know it is very well deserved and they worked their tail off for the victory.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Big Ben could learn something from Peyton in regards to the amount of time that is put into game preparation, it sure wouldn't hurt for Ben to put more time into that aspect of his game...maybe if he recognized defenses better he wouldn't have to hold onto the ball so long sometimes.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, as much as Ben is my hero and has mad skills, I wish he would take a cue from Peyton here. I get nervous about the "I don't do film room" type comments. If he did, he would be Peyton and Marsha's role model.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url="http://www.hulu.com/watch/1603/saturday-night-live-united-way"]http://www.hulu.com/watch/1603/saturday ... united-way[/url]

sorry...don't know how to embed the video.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow...very hard not to respect the guy.

Best ever QB? You know what? They might be right. He's Montana, Aikman, Marino...rolled into one. Ben is Elway, Brady is Young...but Manning is the most technically correct QB Chadman has seen. Only time Manning might get shown up is if his OL doesn't hold up. That is where Ben has it on him. And Brady is more 'scrappy'.

But that's it.

Manning leads everywhere else.

And WILL win the SB MVP this year.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have the utmost respect for Peyton Manning. Dude deserves all of the accolades he receives. Peyton Manning IS the colts....Ben, on the other hand definitely needs to hit the film room. His lack of mental preparation shows up in his game... People attribute his holding onto the ball, taking sacks and running out of the pocket as playmaking skills, I attribute it to not being able to read defenses and quickly process information. We have been fortunate to have won 2 superbowls with great defenses, and once upon a time a running game.. If Ben doesn't recognize the fact that he needs to elevate his game for this team to get better, the next superbowl will be a long time coming.

Legend

User Info Menu

When you all have seen with your own eyes how Ben prepares then by all means, criticize away.

Ben has never, ever said that he doesn't study film. What he said was that he learns more by doing than he does by watching.

Guess what I have in common with Ben? I'm the same way...I learn by doing. That doesn't mean I still don't use other methods of learning...what it means is I use those other methods and then apply them along with what I learn by doing.

Ben's been playing the QB position for 9 seasons total. He first took it up when he was a senior in HS.

Ben has won as many post season games -8- as Manning, including one more championship. He's lost 2. Manning has lost 8.

Ben's doing just fine in my book and continues to get better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Peyton is methodical and watches a ton of film because he has too. If the rythme is off or the protection breaks down the play is over.

Ben is old school. No need to do the film room all day long because it's boring to him.

With 2 SB wins and a championship loss to the cheats his rookie year it's arrogant and damn near ignorant to suggest Ben needs to do more to win another one.

No doubt Ben has areas he can improve but suggesting he needs to do something to win another SB is laughable.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Wow...very hard not to respect the guy.

Best ever QB? You know what? They might be right. He's Montana, Aikman, Marino...rolled into one. Ben is Elway, Brady is Young...but Manning is the most technically correct QB Chadman has seen. Only time Manning might get shown up is if his OL doesn't hold up. That is where Ben has it on him. And Brady is more 'scrappy'.

But that's it.

Manning leads everywhere else.

And WILL win the SB MVP this year.
    Peyton is Peyton... dude is all timing and rhythme. If you throw off the timing Peyton turns into a baby... he isn't going to scramble, he isn't going shake off a tackle.

Peyton's is the prototypical QB. However I think this is also his weakness. He is so robotic if you throw one thing off he just doesn't have much to offer besides curling up or throwing it away. I think the Ravens game showed Peyton's capable of hurting his team and although he was lights out in the Jets game I'm not convinced the bad Peyton won't rear it's head again.

Should be a good game and I'm curious to see if this Saints D is as opportunistic as the Vikes game.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"