Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning's game prep

Pro Bowler

Re: Peyton Manning's game prep

[quote=stlrz d][quote=BURGH86STEEL]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3st4w2a1
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3st4w2a1

Aren't you one of the "we don't know what plays are called, who changes the calls, etc, so we shouldn't criticize the coaches because it's all on the players to execute" crowd?

We don't have a clue how much or how little film study Ben does. All we know for sure with 100% certainty is that he said, "I learn more by doing than by watching film".
    I never said we shouldn't criticize the coaches. Most of the wins and losses fall on the players.

We don't have a clue but it won't stop fans from speculating. A lot of what happens here is speculation. Even you can't deny that there are times that Ben looks unprepared.
    Professional athletes are still human beings. You never had an off day at your job despite feeling that you fully prepared for that day?
    Yeah it's true. It will not stop fans from speculating about Ben's preparation. That's because it appears to show up in games. I believe this all started with the rumor that he was the last in the building and the first to leave. We all know Ben has tremendous talent. Putting in extra time could make him a more consistent QB.

Do you believe putting extra time in will help Ben with his issue of holding onto the ball to long?[/quote:3st4w2a1]

No, because "too long" is a subjective, hind sighted perspective.

If Ben takes a sack then in the fan's eyes he "held the ball too long".

If Ben scrambles around like a mad man, avoids defenders and ends up completing a pass then in the fan's eyes "he made something out of nothing".

The reality is that Ben is driven by competition and by the desire to make something happen. Sometimes that is going to work out and sometimes not.

So far what Ben is doing is working for him and it is bringing titles to the Steelers. I'm not gonna argue with his success. What he's doing is working for him...and for the Steelers.

Edited to add: and since I am not there I have no idea how much time he spends looking at film.[/quote:3st4w2a1]

It is not subjective or hind sighted. Why do you think this discussion started? It shows up while fans watch games. We all know that QB's have a limited amount of time to get rid of the football. Film study can also help Ben reading and knowing defenses better. Ben has the talent but fans like myself would like to see him take his game to another level. We think that more study will aid in that cause. It may also extend his career.

Because Ben's had success means he should not want to improve or change some of his ways to become better?

Hall of Famer

LOL

Hall of Famer

I can tell how long Ben spends in the film room when he doesn't identify the free blitzer and takes an easy sack. sure I don't want him to be a film nerd, but I'D LOVE to see him make some pre snap reads so he knows what to expect.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    I can tell how long Ben spends in the film room when he doesn't identify the free blitzer and takes an easy sack. sure I don't want him to be a film nerd, but I'D LOVE to see him make some pre snap reads so he knows what to expect.
    Name a QB who gets it right every time.

I will take Ben over Manning any day.

Hall of Famer

i wanted to respond to this thread yesterday and cite some of peyton bad games to twart all this blowing he gets from the media. but, now i have the SB as well.

bottom line, there's isn't a successful QB in the league who doesn't put in enuff prep work or "film study"

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

do you think that manning takes two sacks on 3-1 against the browns this year?
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Legend

do you think that manning takes two sacks on 3-1 against the browns this year?
    Do you think that our offense is anything like the Colts offense?

I'll take this

[youtube:2idkporg]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOfouSAAkZY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOfouSAAkZY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:2idkporg]

You can have this

[youtube:2idkporg]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdedow0mqls&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdedow0mqls&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube:2idkporg]

And tonight we found out why you prefer Ben.

Hall of Famer

FWIW

ever think the style of offense the colts run, he needs to spend more time in the film room.

i mean, he's calling plays at the LOS

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    FWIW

ever think the style of offense the colts run, he needs to spend more time in the film room.

i mean, he's calling plays at the LOS

ironic...

Porter attributes game-clinching play to "great film study"

Posted by Mike Florio on February 7, 2010 10:08 PM ET

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning often is regarded as one of the smartest men to ever wear a football helmet.

On Sunday night, with a championship in the balance, Manning was outsmarted.

With 3:24 to play, cornerback Tracy Porter intercepted a Manning pass and returned it 74 yards for a game-clinching touchdown. After the final gun sounded, Porter attributed the outcome to "great film study."

"We knew that on third and short they stack, and they like the outside release for the slant. It was great film study by me, a great jump and a great play," Porter said.