Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning's game prep

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Peyton Manning's game prep

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    When you all have seen with your own eyes how Ben prepares then by all means, criticize away.

Ben has never, ever said that he doesn't study film. What he said was that he learns more by doing than he does by watching.

Guess what I have in common with Ben? I'm the same way...I learn by doing. That doesn't mean I still don't use other methods of learning...what it means is I use those other methods and then apply them along with what I learn by doing.

Ben's been playing the QB position for 9 seasons total. He first took it up when he was a senior in HS.

Ben has won as many post season games -8- as Manning, including one more championship. He's lost 2. Manning has lost 8.

Ben's doing just fine in my book and continues to get better.
    You are on a roll tonight Dennis. I totally agree. Some people learn by doing, seeing and/or hearing information. If Peyton learns by watching film best more power to him. If Ben needs real time play to develop who here is fit to critique? People act like Ben is lazy...I don't believe that. Only Steeler fans can find fault with the best QB in the history of the franchise...a guy who has already delivered 2 SBs.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've never seen Ben yell at or put blame on his teammates.

Ben's got character that Peyton doesn't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    When you all have seen with your own eyes how Ben prepares then by all means, criticize away.

Ben has never, ever said that he doesn't study film. What he said was that he learns more by doing than he does by watching.

Guess what I have in common with Ben? I'm the same way...I learn by doing. That doesn't mean I still don't use other methods of learning...what it means is I use those other methods and then apply them along with what I learn by doing.

Ben's been playing the QB position for 9 seasons total. He first took it up when he was a senior in HS.

Ben has won as many post season games -8- as Manning, including one more championship. He's lost 2. Manning has lost 8.

You are on a roll tonight Dennis. I totally agree. Some people learn by doing, seeing and/or hearing information. If Peyton learns by watching film best more power to him. If Ben needs real time play to develop who here is fit to critique? People act like Ben is lazy...I don't believe that. Only Steeler fans can find fault with the best QB in the history of the franchise...a guy who has already delivered 2 SBs.
    Thanks. Until Ben starts playing like Kordell there is no reason to criticize how he approaches his job. Especially since no one here knows exactly how he does it.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":mg6l18zz

Thanks. Until Ben starts playing like Kordell there is no reason to criticize how he approaches his job. Especially since no one here knows exactly how he does it.[/quote:mg6l18zz]

I understand your point but a lot of what goes on here is speculation by fans. Fans can speculate about Ben's preparation or what appears to be lack of preparation. There were other rumors that Ben was the last in the building and the first to leave. There were times that Ben looked like he did not prepare for games.

Maybe Ben watches plenty of film or maybe he does not put in enough time watching film. No one here knows for sure but there are things that can be gained through study that one can't learn on the field. There is a limited amount of practice time. That is where extra study pays off. Maybe putting in that extra time will help him to make quicker decisions on a consistent basis. It may also help him to take less sacks and hits.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=BURGH86STEEL]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3uki1fna

Thanks. Until Ben starts playing like Kordell there is no reason to criticize how he approaches his job. Especially since no one here knows exactly how he does it.
    I understand your point but a lot of what goes on here is speculation by fans. Fans can speculate about Ben's preparation or what appears to be lack of preparation. There were other rumors that Ben was the last in the building and the first to leave. There were times that Ben looked like he did not prepare for games.

Maybe Ben watches plenty of film or maybe he does not put in enough time watching film. No one here knows for sure but there are things that can be gained through study that one can't learn on the field. There is a limited amount of practice time. That is where extra study pays off. Maybe putting in that extra time will help him to make quicker decisions on a consistent basis. It may also help him to take less sacks and hits.[/quote:3uki1fna]

Aren't you one of the "we don't know what plays are called, who changes the calls, etc, so we shouldn't criticize the coaches because it's all on the players to execute" crowd?

We don't have a clue how much or how little film study Ben does. All we know for sure with 100% certainty is that he said, "I learn more by doing than by watching film".

Some people chose to interpret that as, "I don't watch film" and ran with it....

Legend

User Info Menu

Consider this: [url="http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/local/link?id=2476651"]http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/local/link?id=2476651[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Aren't you one of the "we don't know what plays are called, who changes the calls, etc, so we shouldn't criticize the coaches because it's all on the players to execute" crowd?

We don't have a clue how much or how little film study Ben does. All we know for sure with 100% certainty is that he said, "I learn more by doing than by watching film".
    I never said we shouldn't criticize the coaches. Most of the wins and losses fall on the players.

We don't have a clue but it won't stop fans from speculating. A lot of what happens here is speculation. Even you can't deny that there are times that Ben looks unprepared.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

I never said we shouldn't criticize the coaches. Most of the wins and losses fall on the players.

We don't have a clue but it won't stop fans from speculating. A lot of what happens here is speculation. Even you can't deny that there are times that Ben looks unprepared.
    Professional athletes are still human beings. You never had an off day at your job despite feeling that you fully prepared for that day?

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3caski4g

Professional athletes are still human beings. You never had an off day at your job despite feeling that you fully prepared for that day?[/quote:3caski4g]

Yeah it's true. It will not stop fans from speculating about Ben's preparation. That's because it appears to show up in games. I believe this all started with the rumor that he was the last in the building and the first to leave. We all know Ben has tremendous talent. Putting in extra time could make him a more consistent QB.

Do you believe putting extra time in will help Ben with his issue of holding onto the ball to long?

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=BURGH86STEEL]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":wvgfux4u

Professional athletes are still human beings. You never had an off day at your job despite feeling that you fully prepared for that day?
    Yeah it's true. It will not stop fans from speculating about Ben's preparation. That's because it appears to show up in games. I believe this all started with the rumor that he was the last in the building and the first to leave. We all know Ben has tremendous talent. Putting in extra time could make him a more consistent QB.

Do you believe putting extra time in will help Ben with his issue of holding onto the ball to long?[/quote:wvgfux4u]

No, because "too long" is a subjective, hind sighted perspective.

If Ben takes a sack then in the fan's eyes he "held the ball too long".

If Ben scrambles around like a mad man, avoids defenders and ends up completing a pass then in the fan's eyes "he made something out of nothing".

The reality is that Ben is driven by competition and by the desire to make something happen. Sometimes that is going to work out and sometimes not.

So far what Ben is doing is working for him and it is bringing titles to the Steelers. I'm not gonna argue with his success. What he's doing is working for him...and for the Steelers.

Edited to add: and since I am not there I have no idea how much time he spends looking at film.