Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Super Bowl Chokes

Top 10 Super Bowl Chokes

I actually found this link while over on the Ratbirds' board. Anyways, yinz are gonna have a field day with number 8. And I guess there's not much to say about #1.

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/Top_ ... to=9126042

Here's a taste of the hate and bullspit from it:

Super Bowl XL - Choke on this, ref!
    Ben Roethlisberger's first Super Bowl win came with plenty of help -- from his running game, the Steelers' D and ... the beleaguered officiating crew. It was a tough day for the zebras (we'll allow them to remain anonymous), who botched several key calls -- leading off with whiffing on Big Ben's phantom go-ahead TD plunge in the second quarter, one that replays showed the Steelers QB clearly never reached paydirt.

The officials also helped shut down Seattle comeback efforts late in the game by ruining what could have been a go-ahead TD drive, first nullifying a huge catch by TE Jeremy Stevens with a ghost penalty -- taking away field position inside Pittsburgh's 5-yard line. On the next play, Seattle threw an interception, and adding insult to injury the refs whistled Matt Hasselbeck for his lame attempt at a tackle -- calling a mysterious personal foul on the QB. We'll never know if some of these calls would have affected the outcome.

Jonathan Daniel -

Re: Top 10 Super Bowl Chokes

Ratbirds suck.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

A lot of heat on Big Ben about his SB performance, but Brady had A LOT of help and good luck on his way to his Super Bowl wins (not even counting the cheating). But, Tom's elite....

Pro Bowler

yea, ben gets crapped on for his sb xl performance, i guess because he has such a terrible playoff season that year, oh wait.....cincy, indy and denver, each of those games ben was the better qb against his opponent, but he sucks, eli manning throws a ball where tyree catches it with his helmet but eli is great.....

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Nearly every single call made in XL can be justified. Only reason people are haters is because they are casual fans and listened to John Madden complain about the calls even though every call can be proven to be correct.

I think the NFL needs to tell the announcers to keep their personal opinions to themselves regarding penalites. They shouldn't be able to sit up there in the booth and rag on the refs with their own personal opinions, which in Maddens case is, he is obviously blinded by hate for the Steelers due to them kicking his Raiders teams butts.

Any time I hear an announcer say 'that was a hold but shouldn't have been called cause it wasn't that bad' or 'that was a pushoff, but you can't call that there'...i want to jump through the tv screen and rip their throats out.
    @_Hellgrammite

I think the writer's bias is pretty apparent since he listed and ragged on the Steelers TWICE in the same freaking list. What a douchebag!

I guess if I was going to talk about a Steeler QB choking in the SB, it wouldn't have been Big Ben, but another guy that ended up a Jet the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I guess if I was going to talk about a Steeler QB choking in the SB, it wouldn't have been Big Ben, but another guy that ended up a Jet the next year.

Well, Sugar, that QB was #1 on the list. But, this writer picked them both to rag on.

Haggans gets to Matt Hassellbrokeback and that throw to Stevens is not completed, if even thrown, if he (haggans) is not held on that play. Yes, the controversy on that call is absolutely and directly credited to Madden for creating the "phantom call" hype to millons of uninformed, once a year "fans" on international TV