Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franchise tag means big payday for Hampton

Legend

User Info Menu

Franchise tag means big payday for Hampton

Franchise tag means big payday for Hampton

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, February 5, 2010
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_665733.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 65733.html[/url]

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — If the Steelers use a franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton they will have to offer the unrestricted free agent a one-year deal worth just over $7.7 million.

That represents the average of the top five salaries for defensive tackles in 2009, a figure that the National Football Players' Association released Thursday.

Hampton, who made $6.45 million last season, told the Tribune-Review last week that there will "be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag on him.

Hampton, 32, said he wants the Steelers to sign him to a long-term contract or let him test the market without any restrictions.

Teams could still negotiate with Hampton if the Steelers use a nonexclusive franchise tag on him. They would, however, have to give up a pair of first-round draft picks if Hampton signs with that team and the Steelers decline to match it.

The Steelers have until Feb. 25 to use the franchise tag on Hampton or one of their other unrestricted free agents. They have said they want Hampton to return to the team in 2010.

Hampton, who played in his fifth Pro Bowl last Sunday, has been with the Steelers since 2001.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Franchise tag means big payday for Hampton

Slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on his fat arrr$$e.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    I agree and if someone offers him a contract then let him walk and take the two firsts. I'd rather play a year with Hoke as the NT and have two 1st round picks in the pocket for the future than Hampton. I'd love to see him stay and finish as a Steeler, but two firsts is a nice return on your investment. You win a couple Super Bowls and don't overpay him and then when he's in the twilight of his career you get him for one year at 7.7 million or two firsts if someone makes him an offer, that's a win-win situation as I see it.

The 2011 season is going to be a wash in all likelihood, so getting next year out of Hampton would end the part of his career where he's effective, by the time they play football again he'll 34 or 35 and done. Casey doesn't hold any cards in this game, he's bluffing trying to get the Steelers to do something stupid.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I agree and if someone offers him a contract then let him walk and take the two firsts. I'd rather play a year with Hoke as the NT and have two 1st round picks in the pocket for the future than Hampton. I'd love to see him stay and finish as a Steeler, but two firsts is a nice return on your investment. You win a couple Super Bowls and don't overpay him and then when he's in the twilight of his career you get him for one year at 7.7 million or two firsts if someone makes him an offer, that's a win-win situation as I see it.

The 2011 season is going to be a wash in all likelihood, so getting next year out of Hampton would end the part of his career where he's effective, by the time they play football again he'll 34 or 35 and done. Casey doesn't hold any cards in this game, he's bluffing trying to get the Steelers to do something stupid.

Pappy
    Completely agree. Tag him and force that $7+M dollars down his throat. If that pisses him off and he becomes a problem then that will be proof what kind of player he would be long term once he signs that big contract.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Pappy
    Completely agree. Tag him and force that $7+M dollars down his throat. If that pisses him off and he becomes a problem then that will be proof what kind of player he would be long term once he signs that big contract.
    His agent is trying to get something for him for which they really do not have any leverage to get at this point. They should have thought about this when they signedf the first long term agreement. You don't have to be able to calculate integral calculus to figure out how old you'll be when a contract expires and the potential ramifications of that.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He was still trying to figure out Lebeau's confusing a$$ defense before he signed his first long term contract so they weren't sure how good he was gonna be.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    He was still trying to figure out Lebeau's confusing a$$ defense before he signed his first long term contract so they weren't sure how good he was gonna be.

Ues, but they knew how old he would be. :P

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers use a franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton they will have to offer the unrestricted free agent a one-year deal worth just over $7.7 million.

That represents the average of the top five salaries for defensive tackles in 2009, a figure that the National Football Players' Association released Thursday.
    No, the average of the top five salaries for defensive tackles in 2009 was roughly $7 million (more lazy reporting). The $7.7 million figure represents a 120% raise over his $6.45 million salary from last season. A franchised player gets either the average of the top 5 players at his position from a year ago, or 120% of his previous year's salary (whichever is higher).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Haha... Good luck finding a team STUPID enough to give up two firsts for a rapidly aging run-stopping NT.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Haha... Good luck finding a team STUPID enough to give up two firsts for a rapidly aging run-stopping NT.
    That's fine, then pay him 7.7 million for one year, which in all likelihood will end his career. The 2011 season is likely to see a work stoppage and the next season will be 2012 and he'll be 35 and probably done.

So, we get him for one year or two firsts.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -