Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Mock Draft: PewterReport.com

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: NFL Mock Draft: PewterReport.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

What is the value of Cody against a team like the Colts, Pats, or Saints? Those teams will spread you out and don't care if Jabba the Hut camps out in the middle of the field. We'd be in the nickel or dime the whole game and we'd need a DT to get some push or pass rush. It is hard for me to justify picking a player that won't be on the field when teams go to 3 and 4 wide receivers.
    In a league where the best teams have dynamic passing games a big slug of a NT is of marginal value. You need attacking, penetrating DL.
    Totally agree. Dan Williams or Jared Odrick would meet that requirement, I believe.
    Odrick would I agree...Williams is being projected as a two down lineman.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would really be sick if we passed on Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays and even Jared Odrick in order to pick Bryan Bulaga. To me, it would make no sense at all. We need help on defense in several positions. Give the new OL coach a chance to make our OL better.
    I'm gonna agree with you on this. We as fans may feel different but the Steelers are quite pleased with their current O-line. The outside media just cant seem to understand this.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

What is the value of Cody against a team like the Colts, Pats, or Saints? Those teams will spread you out and don't care if Jabba the Hut camps out in the middle of the field. We'd be in the nickel or dime the whole game and we'd need a DT to get some push or pass rush. It is hard for me to justify picking a player that won't be on the field when teams go to 3 and 4 wide receivers.
    In a league where the best teams have dynamic passing games a big slug of a NT is of marginal value. You need attacking, penetrating DL.
    Totally agree. Dan Williams or Jared Odrick would meet that requirement, I believe.
    Yes, Williams will never have the motor that Odrick has but I've watched Williams play several games and I think he will be more than just a two down NT. Though the NT is usually pulled in a passing situation, Williams does have penetrating ability that Cody does not seem to have. I agree with NFLDraftScout.com's review:

01/31/10 - SENIOR BOWL GAMER: DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Williams (6-2, 330) had stuffed the interior rushing lanes during the South practices all week long. That part of his game wasn't questioned by scouts. Where he helped himself in the Senior Bowl, was in showing better instincts in the passing game than most had expected. Williams sniffed out a screen early in the game, latching on to Fresno State running back Lonyae Miller to ruin the play. Williams also knocked down a pass from the 6-foot-6 Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike pass moments later. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Like John Jerry on the offensive line, two SEC defensive linemen are helping their stock tremendously this week. Though they play essentially the same position, the two players couldn't be any different in their body shape or style of play. Tennessee's Dan Williams has the wide, lower body that defensive line coaches are looking for in a potential nose tackle. His great strength and 6-2, 329-pound frame may not have earned the hype of Alabama's “Mount” Cody, but he's the more consistent player. Scouts would like to see more burst and better use of hands to slip blocks and pressure the passer, but Williams will make his money the same way Cody will: By eating up blockers and shutting down running lanes inside. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Wednesday: Focusing on the line play Wednesday, it became very clear that NFL interior offensive linemen won't be looking forward to the arrival of massive SEC tackles Terrence Cody (Alabama) and Dan Williams (Tennessee). Williams' game is a bit different but still impressive. At 6-2, 329 with 33-inch arms, he has the low center of gravity and long arms to be a very effective nose tackle. Once again Byers came up short against Williams, as the former Volunteer threw him down like a rag doll during one-on-one drills. He isn't as dominant with brute strength as Cody, as Baylor center J.D. Walton and Alabama guard Mike Johnson stood their grounds much better against the stout defensive tackle. Still, his combination of power and hustle to the outside, which Mount Cody cannot duplicate over the course of a game, gives him a chance to be a mid first-round pick. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

you still need to be able to defend against the run, and that is exactly what the job description of a 3-4 NT in our defensive scheme is...to hold the point of attack and fight the double-teams allowing our LBers to make the play
    Exactly. If the argument that there is less value to drafting a NT in the first...well I can see that point. But, to offer up Williams as an alternative (who is also a 2 down NT) well that doesn't make as much sense.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, Williams will never have the motor that Odrick has but I've watched Williams play several games and I think he will be more than just a two down NT. Though the NT is usually pulled in a passing situation, Williams does have penetrating ability that Cody does not seem to have. I agree with NFLDraftScout.com's review:

01/31/10 - SENIOR BOWL GAMER: DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Williams (6-2, 330) had stuffed the interior rushing lanes during the South practices all week long. That part of his game wasn't questioned by scouts. Where he helped himself in the Senior Bowl, was in showing better instincts in the passing game than most had expected. Williams sniffed out a screen early in the game, latching on to Fresno State running back Lonyae Miller to ruin the play. Williams also knocked down a pass from the 6-foot-6 Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike pass moments later. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Like John Jerry on the offensive line, two SEC defensive linemen are helping their stock tremendously this week. Though they play essentially the same position, the two players couldn't be any different in their body shape or style of play. Tennessee's Dan Williams has the wide, lower body that defensive line coaches are looking for in a potential nose tackle. His great strength and 6-2, 329-pound frame may not have earned the hype of Alabama's “Mount” Cody, but he's the more consistent player. Scouts would like to see more burst and better use of hands to slip blocks and pressure the passer, but Williams will make his money the same way Cody will: By eating up blockers and shutting down running lanes inside. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Wednesday: Focusing on the line play Wednesday, it became very clear that NFL interior offensive linemen won't be looking forward to the arrival of massive SEC tackles Terrence Cody (Alabama) and Dan Williams (Tennessee). Williams' game is a bit different but still impressive. At 6-2, 329 with 33-inch arms, he has the low center of gravity and long arms to be a very effective nose tackle. Once again Byers came up short against Williams, as the former Volunteer threw him down like a rag doll during one-on-one drills. He isn't as dominant with brute strength as Cody, as Baylor center J.D. Walton and Alabama guard Mike Johnson stood their grounds much better against the stout defensive tackle. Still, his combination of power and hustle to the outside, which Mount Cody cannot duplicate over the course of a game, gives him a chance to be a mid first-round pick. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com
    I think what's interesting about that article is the fact that they say Williams will make his money the same way Cody will...by eating up blockers in the middle. And no one in college does that better than Cody. If you have your choice of 2 DEs...or a DE and a NT to play your nickle package....teams will pick the 2 DEs 9 out of 10 times. Those DEs in the 3-4 are the size of 4-3 DTs and generally have better movement and penetration. And believe me I like Williams. He will be a good NT in the NFL...no doubt in my mind. But, don't make the mistake of believing he will be anything more than a 2 down player in this league.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

you still need to be able to defend against the run, and that is exactly what the job description of a 3-4 NT in our defensive scheme is...to hold the point of attack and fight the double-teams allowing our LBers to make the play
    Exactly. If the argument that there is less value to drafting a NT in the first...well I can see that point. But, to offer up Williams as an alternative (who is also a 2 down NT) well that doesn't make as much sense.
    Shawn, see the post above. I think there is great value in taking a NT in Rd. 1 if it is Dan Williams. We disagree, but I can't help it if you are wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

lol Leb...it certainly wouldn't be the first time. But, I guess we will have to wait and see. I still don't believe Williams will be anything more than a 2 down NT. He is also a big man...who has been projected to be a 2 down NT. Maybe he will surprised me...but I'm not holding my breath.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

About as much value as Hampton has to us in the dime and nickle which is zero.

It seems many of you have more of an issue with draft a NT in the first rather than Cody.

how in the world could anyone move this guy out of the way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

No one man can...actually 2 men can't move him. They can merely contain him.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

No one man can...actually 2 men can't move him. They can merely contain him.

that is exactly what the NT in our 3-4 scheme is supposed to do, hold his ground against double-teams and occupy the blockers while the LBers make the play...sounds like a good fit to me.

and so what if he only plays two downs, bring in Hoke or Ziggy to rush on 3rd down or obvious passing situations.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha