Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowher: Patriots are team of decade

Starter

User Info Menu

Cowher: Patriots are team of decade

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/10084/cowher-patriots-are-team-of-decade"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -of-decade[/url]

Cowher: Patriots are team of decade
    By Tim Graham

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Bill Cowher believes even if the Indianapolis Colts win the Super Bowl on Sunday, the New England Patriots should be considered the best team of the past decade and scoffed at the idea the Spygate scandal had any impact.

The debate about the best team of the aughts includes three teams. Only the Patriots and Cowher's former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, won multiple championships. The Colts would win their second with a win over the New Orleans Saints.

"I think the decade still has to go to New England," Cowher said Tuesday at a CBS Sports news conference to preview the Super Bowl. "But the Pittsburgh Steelers went to a lot of championship games, won two Super Bowls. The Colts I'm not so sure within the last five years they haven't been the most consistent football team.

"But you go back to the body of work and the consistency, and I think New England clearly is above everybody else. They never had that one down year. They've been on the brink from when they first won in 2001 until this past year they were in the playoffs. They've been the most consistent team."

The Patriots went to four Super Bowls and won three. The Steelers went to two Super Bowls -- one with Cowher and another with Mike Tomlin -- and won them both.

Cowher gushed about Patriots coach Bill Belichick, citing him as influential to philosophies Cowher applied to the Steelers. Cowher attributed the Steelers' ability win 16 straight regular-seasons games in '04 and '05 to lessons learned from how the Patriots conduct themselves.

"The humility that they won with, that's what set them apart," Cowher said. "I learned a lot from their ability to respect an opponent every week, to not get caught up with it.

"I remember taking a lot from the way the New England Patriots handled success. To me, they epitomize that. How you handle success and not get caught up in it makes them role models."

The primary objection to any discussion about the Patriots' greatness is the videotaping scandal that entangled the organization in 2007. I asked Cowher whether Spygate should taint what the Patriots accomplished.

The Spygate investigation included two victories over Cowher's Steelers in the '01 and '04 AFC Championship Games.

Cowher seems to absolve the Patriots for any wrongdoing.

"Listen, there's people stealing signals all the time before that," Cowher said. "You have ways to hide those things. We had wristbands for our defense. I remember trying to get offensive plays and see what the formations were. Everybody knows.

"You're trying to gain a competitive edge. Did that go beyond it? To a degree. Do I think that helped them win football games? No. You still have to go out and play the game. I still have a hard time believing that was a difference in a game."
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Cowher: Patriots are team of decade

Cowher certainly did his fair share helping them be the "Team of the Decade" so it is only apporpriate he admits it. He was totally outcoached by Belichek on numerous occasions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Not the first time he's tooted someone else's horn.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Cowher certainly did his fair share helping them be the "Team of the Decade" so it is only apporpriate he admits it. He was totally outcoached by Belichek on numerous occasions.
    $$$

Patriots cheating + Cowher's choking ineptitude = no Steelers SB appearances during the first half of the decade.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cowher is a tool.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

If he says the Steelers are the team of the decade, then he would be accused of being a biased, ego-maniacal homer. If he complained about Spygate, it would look like sour grapes. I don't really fault him for this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Super Bowl XL victory (2005)
    2 AFC Championship victories (1995, 2005)
    AP NFL Coach of the Year (1992)
    2× Sporting News NFL Coach of the Year (1992, 2004)
    149-90-1 (regular season record)
    12-9 (playoff record)
    161-99-1 (overall record)

"In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles." per Wikipedia.

I sometimes think that some of you guys are 'tools'. WTF.

Cowher Power.......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cowher always did take the high road in my opinion.

Humility that they won with ? Ha ! Those cheating pricks had no humility at winning or losing and the one that lacks the lesase amount of humility is Bellicheat himself.

No matter what Cowher thinks, the fucheads won because they cheated and why do people cheat ? Because they can't go toe to toe.

When Lebeau was asked if he thought it helped the Cheats over us he said the most and correct political statement that should have been made, "It would been nicer if they didn't know our signals and calls. " Something to those exact words but, you knew he meant, it was a strike against our Steelers in those games.

Okay, they won one more SB than us in the decade and cheated to do it, you want to call them the best then fine. I'll stick with the team that played fair and had integrity throughout.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Super Bowl XL victory (2005)
    2 AFC Championship victories (1995, 2005)
    AP NFL Coach of the Year (1992)
    2× Sporting News NFL Coach of the Year (1992, 2004)
    149-90-1 (regular season record)
    12-9 (playoff record)
    161-99-1 (overall record)

"In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles." per Wikipedia.

Cowher Power.......
    Cowher got outcoached in the playoffs and if you want to hang your hat on 7 division straps, when you got Cincy & the Browns to walk all over, kudos to you. I look at one SB WIN in a decade and a half when he continually had a top notch group of players.
    @_Hellgrammite