Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Weekly 1st Round Mock Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Pro Football Weekly 1st Round Mock Draft

I used to respect Pro Football Weekly, but not anymore after seeing this Mock. They must be smoking some of this stuff we grow here in Hawaii...if Joe Haden, Earl Thomas or Dan Williams are still available we would have to grab one of them and look to land Pouncey in the 2nd round.

FIRST ROUND

1. St. Louis Rams
    DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma#

Despite Ndamukong Suh's sensational late momentum surge when he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy voting, McCoy is the safest pick in the draft. He fits Steve Spagnuolo's defense better than Suh, is a better pass rusher and will make the more immediate impact.

2. Detroit Lions
    DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska

Having worked with Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee, Jim Schwartz knows what a dominating defensive tackle can do for a defense. Suh can become a force inside.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida#

After trading away the late Gaines Adams during the season, GM Mark Dominik needs to upgrade a pass rush that ranked near the bottom of the league, and Pierre-Paul has unique rush ability.

4. Washington Redskins
    QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma#

Mike Shanahan loves quarterbacks, but he could choose to upgrade the offensive line and give Jason Campbell a chance to learn his offense. However, if he wants to build a new foundation, a more quick-rhythm passer is needed.

5. Kansas City Chiefs
    OLT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa#

GM Scott Pioli needs to protect the investment he made in Matt Cassel and provide more time in the pocket for him to deliver. Pioli will have greater respect for a lineman well schooled by Kirk Ferentz, whom Pioli worked with in Cleveland.

6. Seattle Seahawks
    OLT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

The first order of business for new GM John Schneider will be finding replacements for Walter Jones and Matt Hasselbeck, and Okung could be tabbed earlier than his talent warrants to replace Jones.

7. Cleveland Browns
    WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State#

Eric Mangini strongly considered selecting Michael Crabtree, and the Browns are now even more devoid of playmakers after shipping Braylon Edwards to the Jets. Bryant is in a class of his own as a playmaker, and new football czar Mike Holmgren has shown he will roll the dice on immense talent, as he did with Koren Robinson in Seattle.

8. Oakland Raiders
    OLT Trent Williams, Oklahoma

Al Davis gave JaMarcus Russell a runner and receiver after mistakenly selecting the lazy quarterback with the first overall pick in 2007. The last effort to resurrect a sagging investment is a franchise left tackle who can give Russell more clearly needed time in the pocket to make reads.

9. Buffalo Bills
    OLT Anthony Davis, Rutgers#

More important than a quarterback is a blind-side protector who can keep the Bills' quarterbacks healthy. Trading Jason Peters last offseason proved to be costly.

10. Denver Broncos* (from Chicago)
    FS Eric Berry, Tennessee#

Tough, instinctive and hard-hitting, Berry brings emotion to the field and is the type of competitor Josh McDaniels sought in his first year on the job. Berry can pair with Brian Dawkins to give the Broncos two hammers in the middle.

11. Jacksonville Jaguars*
    OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri

In the same magical draft slot that produced Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware could come another potential great pro for GM Gene Smith.

12. Miami Dolphins
    OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas

Kindle may not be quite as big as Bill Parcells desires his linebackers to be, but he is explosive and can make plays with his hand on the ground the same way a younger Joey Porter used to be able to do.

13. San Francisco 49ers
    QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame#

Alex Smith made strides with a better supporting cast, but if the offense is to take another step, Jimmy Raye will need more efficiency at the QB position. The Irish brought the Niners good luck in 1979.

14. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)
    DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech#

Patrick Kerney is on his last legs, and Lawrence Jackson and Darryl Tapp have struggled to get the job done. Morgan's energy could attract Pete Carroll's interest.

15. New York Giants
    MLB Rolando McClain, Alabama#

Aging Antonio Pierce is coming off a career-threatening type of injury, and the defense slumped in his absence. McClain brings the commanding presence to step in early.

16. San Francisco 49ers* (from Carolina)
    OL Mike Iupati, Idaho

Iupati has the physical ability to play guard or either tackle position, but regardless of where he lines up, he can help establish the smashmouth identity Mike Singletary seeks.

17. Tennessee Titans*
    DT Jared Odrick, Penn State

The lack of inside pressure following Albert Haynesworth's departure crippled the Titans' defense, and Odrick has the quickness to be disruptive.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
    C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida#

The Steelers' offensive line has slowly deteriorated since Russ Grimm departed, and the need for a new anchor and the lack of quality at the center position could bring Pouncey off the board sooner than expected.

19. Atlanta Falcons*
    CB Joe Haden, Florida#

The Falcons gave up too many yards against the pass, and Mike Smith could sorely use more help in the secondary.

20. Houston Texans*
    RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson

Passing on Reggie Bush could turn out to bring the Texans even more blessings if they could land a player with more talent at the 20th slot.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
    TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma

The Bengals' passing game was shut down by the Jets in the playoffs, and the addition of a playmaking pass catcher such as Â*Gresham would force defenses to play more honestly and not be able to stack the box as much.

22. New England Patriots
    WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame#

Losing No. 3 WR Jabar Gaffney affected the Patriots' offense more than expected, and Tate would have an accelerated learning curve, coming from Charlie Weis' offense.

23. Green Bay Packers
    OLT Bruce Campbell, Maryland#

GM Ted Thompson has a penchant for physical marvels and a history of overlooking some durability concerns, as he did with Justin Harrell. Campbell fills a prime position of need and well suits the Packers' zone-blocking scheme.

24. Philadelphia Eagles
    DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida#

A strong-willed coaching staff has proven it can maximize the talent of an exceptional player with some character flaws.

25. Baltimore Ravens
    WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois#

The Ravens sorely need some offensive playmakers around Joe Flacco, and GM Ozzie Newsome will not be deterred by the declining production of an injured Benn in what was a struggling, stale Illinois offense.

26. Arizona Cardinals
    FS Taylor Mays, USC

On paper, Mays looks like a top-five pick. On the field, he played like a third-rounder this past season. The Cardinals often open the net for falling big-name talent and could be in the market for a safety with Adrian Wilson getting older and Antrel Rolle's contract needing to be addressed.

27. Dallas Cowboys
    FS Earl Thomas, Texas#

The inability to cover the deep middle exposed the Cowboys' defense against the Vikings in the playoffs, and Thomas' range and playmaking ability on the back half could complete the defense.

28. San Diego Chargers
    OT Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts

The Chargers' struggles running the ball can be tied in part to an injury-prone offensive line, and Ducasse could help open more holes from the right tackle position.

29. New York Jets
    WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech#

Even after acquiring Braylon Edwards, the Jets still need to give Mark Sanchez more weapons, and Thomas would provide another big target.

30. Minnesota Vikings
    CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State

Robinson does not have the physicality of an aging Antoine Winfield or Cedric Griffin, but he could upgrade the Vikings' nickel package with his cover skills.

31. New Orleans Saints**
    LB Sean Lee, Penn State

The Saints have been exploring upgrades at the linebacker position for years, and Lee has the intelligence defensive coordinator Gregg Williams desires and fits the tough-minded mold of LB coach Joe Vitt.

32. Indianapolis Colts**
    DT Dan Williams, Tennessee

The Colts sought to go bigger inside after defensive coordinator Larry Coyer joined the staff, and Williams would give them a strong, active inside presence suitable for their new scheme.

* — Picks will be determined by a coin flip.

** — Super Bowl winner picks 32nd, loser 31st.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Pro Football Weekly 1st Round Mock Draft

We pass up Haden, Dan Williams, for a C at 18? First I have seen Pouncey in the first.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Huh. That's a puzzler. But there are usually a few surprises in the first round.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably the most unlikely mock draft I have seen yet. To pass on Haden, Spiller, Williams is crazy. If McClain really dropped to #15 and we didn't try to trade up to jump ahead of the Giants that would be beyond crazy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we can safely say this is unlikely. IMO, the Steelers will not pass on Haden, Mays, or Thomas to take Pouncey. Center may be a need but the secondary has to be addressed early.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not a good mock. There are players I can't believe we would pass on. Bryan Bulaga the first OL taken & in the Top 5? Pouncey that high in the 1st? Dan Williams won't slip until the end of Round 1. Having Mike Iupati going that high after the Senior Bowl tells me he didn't watch the game and see him play. And Sean Lee in the 1st? And I'm a PSU HOMER!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

If the draft fell this way, I would trade our 1st and 2nd round picks to move up to #10 to take Eric Berry (who I think is the best player in the draft not name who isn't a Boy Named Suh). Getting Troy back and adding Berry would be changing a secondary from one with no tangible ball skills to a playmaking, ballhawking secondary overnight.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Probably the most unlikely mock draft I have seen yet. To pass on Haden, Spiller, Williams is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    If McClain really dropped to #15 and we didn't try to trade up to jump ahead of the Giants that would be beyond crazy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'll give them credit for originality at least.

1. I wouldn't be surprised if Bryan Bulaga was the first OT taken but I really doubt that he will be. He is really talented though and wouldn't criticize any team that takes him. He completed dominated his matchup against Derek Morgan in their bowl game.

2. It would be crazy for Denver to pass up on Eric Berry if he dropped that far BUT safety is probably 5th or 6th needwise for the Broncos. Dawkins currently plays FS, so Berry or him would have to move to SS for both of them to play together. Plus the Broncos just drafted Darcel McBath and David Bruton in the last draft. McBatch was a 2nd round pick also. I don't see the Broncos going safety that early but Berry is a special talent so it's not out of the question.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If the draft fell this way, I would trade our 1st and 2nd round picks to move up to #10 to take Eric Berry (who I think is the best player in the draft not name who isn't a Boy Named Suh). Getting Troy back and adding Berry would be changing a secondary from one with no tangible ball skills to a playmaking, ballhawking secondary overnight.
    Love the idea- but 18 to 10 is a BIG move- I cant quite imagine the team pulling that trigger.

I'm sure someone on the board knows the cost chart for trading picks...

18 to 10
    this years 1st & 3rd, plus next years 1st??? something like that??