Thread: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    He's already said he's coming back this season.
    All hail St. LeBeau!
    I'm so happy he's going in as a Steeler!
    I thought IF he made it that he would go in as a Lion?
    Cos2k1 is just ragging on stlrz_d, because he hates when people say "going in as" a specific team. It isn't like baseball, where a decision has to be made regarding which specific ballcap will be worn on the Hall of Fame plaque.

But, yes, since he would be going in as a player and not a coach, it should only read "Detroit Lions 1959–1972" beneath his bust. Although he was drafted by Cleveland, he was cut in camp before playing a game with them, so he was never officially a Brown.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's already said he's coming back this season.
    All hail St. LeBeau!
    Cos2k1 is just ragging on stlrz_d, because he hates when people say "going in as" a specific team. It isn't like baseball, where a decision has to be made regarding which specific ballcap will be worn on the Hall of Fame plaque.

But, yes, since he would be going in as a player and not a coach, it should only read "Detroit Lions 1959–1972" beneath his bust. Although he was drafted by Cleveland, he was cut in camp before playing a game with them, so he was never officially a Brown.

so the Browns have been astute evaluators of talent as far back as 1959, huh?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    All hail St. LeBeau!

so the Browns have been astute evaluators of talent as far back as 1959, huh?
    Well, at least they knew enough to pick Jim Brown with the 6th pick in the 1957 Draft and held onto him.

We had the 5th pick in that draft, by the way, and we took Len Dawson. He also was a Hall of Famer, but not for us. After acquiring Bobby Layne in 1958, we ended up trading Dawson to Cleveland in 1959. They released him after a couple of seasons, and he went on to Hall of Fame stardom with the Chiefs shortly thereafter.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Today's the day!

Go Bad Word! Go Dirt!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Today's the day!

Go Bad Word! Go Dirt!
    Here's how John Clayton views their chances:
    (a) Dick LeBeau, longtime coach, Detroit Lions cornerback: LeBeau is one of two senior nominees who go before the board of selectors separate from the modern-day candidates. Voters simply vote yes or no. He doesn't count against the limit of five modern-day candidates. Although he is best known as the coach who invented the zone-blitz scheme, he also was a great player who finished his career with 62 interceptions.
    Chances: 80 percent;
    (b)Dermontti Dawson, center, Pittsburgh Steelers: Dawson was an all-decade center for the 1990s and went to seven Pro Bowls. He played 170 games over 13 seasons.
    Chances: 38 percent
    [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4887462"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... id=4887462[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Beyond Emmitt, Rice, LeBeau, HOF decision is a crapshoot

Posted by Mike Florio on February 6, 2010 9:14 AM ET

This morning, the 44 folks who hold the keys to admission into the Hall of Fame will meet in Fort Lauderdale to determine the next class of inductees.

The results will be announced at 5:00 p.m. ET on NFL Network. (We'll be there live, posting updates from the press conference.)

The two nominees of the Seniors Committee -- Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little -- separately will be subject to an up-or-down vote. Either man will win enshrinement with an affirmative vote of 80 percent or more.

The process for the 15 Modern Era Finalists is a little more cumbersome. The list first will be cut to 10, and then it will be reduced to five. Once five finalists have been identified, a "yes" or a "no" will be cast for each man, and every one of the five whose names generate a "yes" on 80 percent or more of the ballots will be added to the Hall of Fame.

This year, two of the five finalists surely will be receiver Jerry Rice and running back Emmitt Smith, and it would be shocking if either man gets fewer than 80 percent of the final vote.

LeBeau also is expected to conjure enough votes. Though consideration technically should be confined to his playing career, the "John Madden exception" likely will cause more than enough voters to give LeBeau the nod, given his long-time contributions as a coach and innovator of the 3-4/zone blitz scheme. (Madden, who was considered for induction based on his coaching career, benefited from his years of stellar work as a broadcaster and for his role in developing the ultimate tool for perpetually converting America's youth into pro football fans -- the Madden video game franchise.)

Beyond Smith, Rice, and LeBeau, the process this year will be a crapshoot. For each man, a case can be made for, and against, enshrinement.

The other Modern Era Finalists are: receiver Tim Brown, receiver Cris Carter, coach Don Coryell, running back Roger Craig, center Dermontti Dawson, defensive end Richard Dent, offensive lineman Russ Grimm, linebacker Charles Haley, linebacker Rickey Jackson, defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy, defensive tackle John Randle, receiver Andre Reed, and tight end Shannon Sharpe.

There's a sense that Dent could have the edge as to the rest of the field, and that Carter would be the first of the receivers other than Rice. Others who have a strong chance include Sharpe, Haley, Jackson, and Coryell. Given that no "Hogs" are in the Hall of Fame, Grimm could have a good shot, too.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

it's a real shame that Dirt Dawson isn't already in the Hall...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I could look as good at 72 as LeBeau does, I'll happily eat a cheeseburger every day for year!
    Seriously, the guy looks like he's in his 50's.

I can't believe it's come to this though. I suppose you could argue against him based on his playing career (maybe it's not great enough... maybe).

But with the contribution of the zone blitz, it now becomes a no-brainer. A borderline HOFer as a player who made an almost revolutionary defensive scheme = slam dunk.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    If I could look as good at 72 as LeBeau does, I'll happily eat a cheeseburger every day for year!

I can't believe it's come to this though. I suppose you could argue against him based on his playing career (maybe it's not great enough... maybe).

But with the contribution of the zone blitz, it now becomes a no-brainer. A borderline HOFer as a player who made an almost revolutionary defensive scheme = slam dunk.
    He was chosen as a player by the Veteran's Committee.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe

He was chosen as a player by the Veteran's Committee.
    So He is going in as a lion

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.