Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

  1. #11
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,625

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    He's already said he's coming back this season.
    All hail St. LeBeau!
    I'm so happy he's going in as a Steeler!
    I thought IF he made it that he would go in as a Lion?
    Cos2k1 is just ragging on stlrz_d, because he hates when people say "going in as" a specific team. It isn't like baseball, where a decision has to be made regarding which specific ballcap will be worn on the Hall of Fame plaque.

    But, yes, since he would be going in as a player and not a coach, it should only read "Detroit Lions 1959–1972" beneath his bust. Although he was drafted by Cleveland, he was cut in camp before playing a game with them, so he was never officially a Brown.

  2. #12
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,421

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    He's already said he's coming back this season.
    All hail St. LeBeau!
    I'm so happy he's going in as a Steeler!
    I thought IF he made it that he would go in as a Lion?
    Cos2k1 is just ragging on stlrz_d, because he hates when people say "going in as" a specific team. It isn't like baseball, where a decision has to be made regarding which specific ballcap will be worn on the Hall of Fame plaque.

    But, yes, since he would be going in as a player and not a coach, it should only read "Detroit Lions 1959–1972" beneath his bust. Although he was drafted by Cleveland, he was cut in camp before playing a game with them, so he was never officially a Brown.

    so the Browns have been astute evaluators of talent as far back as 1959, huh?

  3. #13
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,625

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    All hail St. LeBeau!
    I'm so happy he's going in as a Steeler!
    I thought IF he made it that he would go in as a Lion?
    Cos2k1 is just ragging on stlrz_d, because he hates when people say "going in as" a specific team. It isn't like baseball, where a decision has to be made regarding which specific ballcap will be worn on the Hall of Fame plaque.

    But, yes, since he would be going in as a player and not a coach, it should only read "Detroit Lions 1959–1972" beneath his bust. Although he was drafted by Cleveland, he was cut in camp before playing a game with them, so he was never officially a Brown.

    so the Browns have been astute evaluators of talent as far back as 1959, huh?
    Well, at least they knew enough to pick Jim Brown with the 6th pick in the 1957 Draft and held onto him.

    We had the 5th pick in that draft, by the way, and we took Len Dawson. He also was a Hall of Famer, but not for us. After acquiring Bobby Layne in 1958, we ended up trading Dawson to Cleveland in 1959. They released him after a couple of seasons, and he went on to Hall of Fame stardom with the Chiefs shortly thereafter.

  4. #14

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Today's the day!

    Go Bad Word! Go Dirt!


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  5. #15

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Today's the day!

    Go Bad Word! Go Dirt!
    Here's how John Clayton views their chances:
    (a) Dick LeBeau, longtime coach, Detroit Lions cornerback: LeBeau is one of two senior nominees who go before the board of selectors separate from the modern-day candidates. Voters simply vote yes or no. He doesn't count against the limit of five modern-day candidates. Although he is best known as the coach who invented the zone-blitz scheme, he also was a great player who finished his career with 62 interceptions.
    Chances: 80 percent;
    (b)Dermontti Dawson, center, Pittsburgh Steelers: Dawson was an all-decade center for the 1990s and went to seven Pro Bowls. He played 170 games over 13 seasons.
    Chances: 38 percent
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... id=4887462

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,866

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Beyond Emmitt, Rice, LeBeau, HOF decision is a crapshoot

    Posted by Mike Florio on February 6, 2010 9:14 AM ET

    This morning, the 44 folks who hold the keys to admission into the Hall of Fame will meet in Fort Lauderdale to determine the next class of inductees.

    The results will be announced at 5:00 p.m. ET on NFL Network. (We'll be there live, posting updates from the press conference.)

    The two nominees of the Seniors Committee -- Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little -- separately will be subject to an up-or-down vote. Either man will win enshrinement with an affirmative vote of 80 percent or more.

    The process for the 15 Modern Era Finalists is a little more cumbersome. The list first will be cut to 10, and then it will be reduced to five. Once five finalists have been identified, a "yes" or a "no" will be cast for each man, and every one of the five whose names generate a "yes" on 80 percent or more of the ballots will be added to the Hall of Fame.

    This year, two of the five finalists surely will be receiver Jerry Rice and running back Emmitt Smith, and it would be shocking if either man gets fewer than 80 percent of the final vote.

    LeBeau also is expected to conjure enough votes. Though consideration technically should be confined to his playing career, the "John Madden exception" likely will cause more than enough voters to give LeBeau the nod, given his long-time contributions as a coach and innovator of the 3-4/zone blitz scheme. (Madden, who was considered for induction based on his coaching career, benefited from his years of stellar work as a broadcaster and for his role in developing the ultimate tool for perpetually converting America's youth into pro football fans -- the Madden video game franchise.)

    Beyond Smith, Rice, and LeBeau, the process this year will be a crapshoot. For each man, a case can be made for, and against, enshrinement.

    The other Modern Era Finalists are: receiver Tim Brown, receiver Cris Carter, coach Don Coryell, running back Roger Craig, center Dermontti Dawson, defensive end Richard Dent, offensive lineman Russ Grimm, linebacker Charles Haley, linebacker Rickey Jackson, defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy, defensive tackle John Randle, receiver Andre Reed, and tight end Shannon Sharpe.

    There's a sense that Dent could have the edge as to the rest of the field, and that Carter would be the first of the receivers other than Rice. Others who have a strong chance include Sharpe, Haley, Jackson, and Coryell. Given that no "Hogs" are in the Hall of Fame, Grimm could have a good shot, too.

  7. #17
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,421

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    it's a real shame that Dirt Dawson isn't already in the Hall...

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,631

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If I could look as good at 72 as LeBeau does, I'll happily eat a cheeseburger every day for year!
    Seriously, the guy looks like he's in his 50's.

    I can't believe it's come to this though. I suppose you could argue against him based on his playing career (maybe it's not great enough... maybe).

    But with the contribution of the zone blitz, it now becomes a no-brainer. A borderline HOFer as a player who made an almost revolutionary defensive scheme = slam dunk.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If I could look as good at 72 as LeBeau does, I'll happily eat a cheeseburger every day for year!
    Seriously, the guy looks like he's in his 50's.

    I can't believe it's come to this though. I suppose you could argue against him based on his playing career (maybe it's not great enough... maybe).

    But with the contribution of the zone blitz, it now becomes a no-brainer. A borderline HOFer as a player who made an almost revolutionary defensive scheme = slam dunk.
    He was chosen as a player by the Veteran's Committee.

  10. #20
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: LeBeau's Hall chances looking good

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If I could look as good at 72 as LeBeau does, I'll happily eat a cheeseburger every day for year!
    Seriously, the guy looks like he's in his 50's.

    I can't believe it's come to this though. I suppose you could argue against him based on his playing career (maybe it's not great enough... maybe).

    But with the contribution of the zone blitz, it now becomes a no-brainer. A borderline HOFer as a player who made an almost revolutionary defensive scheme = slam dunk.
    He was chosen as a player by the Veteran's Committee.
    So He is going in as a lion

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •