Thread: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

Legend

User Info Menu

2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

Steelers will have overall picks:

#18 in Round 1
    #52 in Round 2
    #82 in Round 3

Picks in rounds 4-7 to be determined by compensatory picks which are usually announced in late March.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

That would equate to:

#18 in Round 1: CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
    #52 in Round 2 (Trade up): Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
    #82 in Round 3: Larry Asante, S, Nebraska

All we have heard is running the ball more this season. Guess what. You need running backs to do that. We have one. Spiller would be absolutely awesome in all phase of the offensive game plus special teams.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

#18 in Round 1
    #52 in Round 2
    #82 in Round 3

Picks in rounds 4-7 to be determined by compensatory picks which are usually announced in late March.
    18+32=50 so why are we saying 52? It would be 18-50-82....wouldn't it?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

#18 in Round 1
    #52 in Round 2
    #82 in Round 3

18+32=50 so why are we saying 52? It would be 18-50-82....wouldn't it?
    Because we are tied with a group three other teams (can'rt recall who) and of those teams we get the first pick in Round 1 and then in Round 2 we drop to the third pick of that group and in Round 3 we get the second pick of that group of three teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    That would equate to:

All we have heard is running the ball more this season. Guess what. You need running backs to do that. We have one. Spiller would be absolutely awesome in all phase of the offensive game plus special teams.
    This is NOT an excellent Mock Draft ... as a matter of fact, it sucks!!

Running Back is the easiest position to find in a later round. We've neglected the O-Line once again ... pretty hard to run the ball when your run blocking is weak. Take a look at the Jets O-Line and their running game. Thomas Jones & Shonn Greene (3rd rounder).
    What are we going to trade up to get Spikes??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Disagree with the OL again. We are fine at OL as we're getting some depth there too with Foster, Legursky, and Stapleton coming back. Then you got last year's 3rd round pick in Urbik.

Sure that G/C from Idaho is intriguing, but I'm not so sure he is there at 18 anyways. Depending on what happens with Colon (probably get offered a contract), we could look at a T somewhere, but we need help on the defensive side of the ball.

S, CB, LB, DL will be the 18th pick. IMO. How about Graham from Michigan? Great Sr. Bowl game.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    That would equate to:

This is NOT an excellent Mock Draft ... as a matter of fact, it sucks!!

Running Back is the easiest position to find in a later round. We've neglected the O-Line once again ... pretty hard to run the ball when your run blocking is weak. Take a look at the Jets O-Line and their running game. Thomas Jones & Shonn Greene (3rd rounder).
    What are we going to trade up to get Spikes??
    New OL Coach will get a year to work with what he has. Very unlikely they go OL when they have just estended pretty much the entire OL and can reatain Colon for probably two more years since the CBA is out the window. Drafting a OL in Round 1 would be a waste. Who are they pushing out of the line up? Get over the angst about the OL. The front office and the coaches don't feel as bad about them as the fans. That hasn't chaged in 4-5 years and won't this year either.

Spiller will provide the biggest impact of any player in Round 1 in all phases of the offense plus special teams. He would be our Joe Cribbs, Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush. We have nothing at the RB position beyond Mendy and if we are going to run the ball more we need quality not quantity.

All we ever hear about on this board is how our #1 picks suck and don't do anything and the one chance we have to get a real impact player in multiple phases of the game everyone wants to draft a 2-3 year project.

Backup

User Info Menu

That would equate to:

Spiller will provide the biggest impact of any player in Round 1 in all phases of the offense plus special teams. He would be our Joe Cribbs, Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush. We have nothing at the RB position beyond Mendy and if we are going to run the ball more we need quality not quantity.

I would be very happy with Spiller. He has the hands FWP never had, and he can return kicks. So while he brings his explosiveness to the offense, we don't need to save a roster spot for a KR/PR.

I don't think he will fall to us though at 18.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Disagree with the OL again. We are fine at OL as we're getting some depth there too with Foster, Legursky, and Stapleton coming back. Then you got last year's 3rd round pick in Urbik.

Sure that G/C from Idaho is intriguing, but I'm not so sure he is there at 18 anyways. Depending on what happens with Colon (probably get offered a contract), we could look at a T somewhere, but we need help on the defensive side of the ball.

S, CB, LB, DL will be the 18th pick. IMO. How about Graham from Michigan? Great Sr. Bowl game.

We might have bodies for depth, but we are seriously lacking in talent. We need to add some talent to the line. If the BPA at #18 is an OL, then they should draft him. Then again, I wouldn't have an issue with Thomas, Odrick or Weatherspoon either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73

We might have bodies for depth, but we are seriously lacking in talent. We need to add some talent to the line. If the BPA at #18 is an OL, then they should draft him. Then again, I wouldn't have an issue with Thomas, Odrick or Weatherspoon either.
    As an observer of the process I honestly believe that the Steelers salary cap structure and the per position allocation of dollars to position is structured that we will not pay Round 1 money to an OLman and tie up those dollars for that position.

I believe that this will remain the policy until a rookie salary structure is put into place. That is why we have not seen Round 1 picks spent on the OL. There is IMO a clear organizational strategy that they will develop OL and then pay those who are successful on their second contract versus tieing up significant cap space on untested rookie linemen, especially a pick as high as #18.