Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    That is a pretty logical explanation Oviedo. But the emphasis that ownership has apparently put on an ability to run the ball with authority would lead me to believe that they see that they are in need of some top-tier talent on their O-line. The Steelers have always had one or two perennial Pro Bowlers on their line. They haven't had one since Faneca and Hartings left. And their running game has fallen off precipitously since then. They need to invest there for the future. You can develop back-ups and possibly even future replacements, but they need to draft starting quality guys. The current group is certainly serviceable, but C, RG and RT could all be upgraded IMO.

  2. #12
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,130

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    No offensive side of the ball players until the third round; the Steelers do not need two 1st round draft picks to run the ball effectively. A good solid work horse back to spell Mendenhall selected in the 3rd round or later is fine, rounds one and two have to help the defensive side of the ball.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,563

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    That is a pretty logical explanation Oviedo. But the emphasis that ownership has apparently put on an ability to run the ball with authority would lead me to believe that they see that they are in need of some top-tier talent on their O-line. The Steelers have always had one or two perennial Pro Bowlers on their line. They haven't had one since Faneca and Hartings left. And their running game has fallen off precipitously since then. They need to invest there for the future. You can develop back-ups and possibly even future replacements, but they need to draft starting quality guys. The current group is certainly serviceable, but C, RG and RT could all be upgraded IMO.
    The new OL coach was part of the solution to running the ball better versus Larry Z'z zone blocking scheme. Kugler will be given a chance to show whathe can do with what they already have plus probably a mid round pick or two. He was picked because he made something out of nothing in Buffalo.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Could be. But I think that the Steelers Oline is already greater than the sum of their parts. They need some new shiny parts.
    That said, they could go in about 10 different directions come draft day.

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Steelers will have overall picks:

    #18 in Round 1
    #52 in Round 2
    #82 in Round 3

    Picks in rounds 4-7 to be determined by compensatory picks which are usually announced in late March.
    18+32=50 so why are we saying 52? It would be 18-50-82....wouldn't it?
    Because we are tied with a group three other teams (can'rt recall who) and of those teams we get the first pick in Round 1 and then in Round 2 we drop to the third pick of that group and in Round 3 we get the second pick of that group of three teams.
    Seems like BS. Use the tie breakers same you would for the playoffs.
    @_Hellgrammite

  6. #16
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,623

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    That is a pretty logical explanation Oviedo. But the emphasis that ownership has apparently put on an ability to run the ball with authority would lead me to believe that they see that they are in need of some top-tier talent on their O-line. The Steelers have always had one or two perennial Pro Bowlers on their line. They haven't had one since Faneca and Hartings left. And their running game has fallen off precipitously since then. They need to invest there for the future. You can develop back-ups and possibly even future replacements, but they need to draft starting quality guys. The current group is certainly serviceable, but C, RG and RT could all be upgraded IMO.
    The new OL coach was part of the solution to running the ball better versus Larry Z'z zone blocking scheme. Kugler will be given a chance to show whathe can do with what they already have plus probably a mid round pick or two. He was picked because he made something out of nothing in Buffalo.
    Kugler turned two rookies, drafted with the 28th and 51st picks overall in the draft last year, and made them into contributing players from the start. Perhaps our team noticed that, and would be willing to give him another high pick (18th and/or 52nd) to turn into a contributing performer on the o-line this year as well.

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,480

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    That is a pretty logical explanation Oviedo. But the emphasis that ownership has apparently put on an ability to run the ball with authority would lead me to believe that they see that they are in need of some top-tier talent on their O-line. The Steelers have always had one or two perennial Pro Bowlers on their line. They haven't had one since Faneca and Hartings left. And their running game has fallen off precipitously since then. They need to invest there for the future. You can develop back-ups and possibly even future replacements, but they need to draft starting quality guys. The current group is certainly serviceable, but C, RG and RT could all be upgraded IMO.
    The new OL coach was part of the solution to running the ball better versus Larry Z'z zone blocking scheme. Kugler will be given a chance to show whathe can do with what they already have plus probably a mid round pick or two. He was picked because he made something out of nothing in Buffalo.
    That's for sure. How can you "not like" what Koogs did in Buffalo last year. I'm hoping he could speed up the development of Urbik, Legursky, Foster, & Hills. I think having him on board will account for some upgrades on the OL. We have seen Hartwig's & Essex's ceiling...Someone else needs to surpass it.



  8. #18
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,149

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    That would equate to:

    #18 in Round 1: CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
    #52 in Round 2 (Trade up): Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
    #82 in Round 3: Larry Asante, S, Nebraska

    All we have heard is running the ball more this season. Guess what. You need running backs to do that. We have one. Spiller would be absolutely awesome in all phase of the offensive game plus special teams.
    This is NOT an excellent Mock Draft ... as a matter of fact, it sucks!!

    Running Back is the easiest position to find in a later round. We've neglected the O-Line once again ... pretty hard to run the ball when your run blocking is weak. Take a look at the Jets O-Line and their running game. Thomas Jones & Shonn Greene (3rd rounder).
    What are we going to trade up to get Spikes??
    Limas Sweed of course. :P

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Steelers will have overall picks:

    #18 in Round 1
    #52 in Round 2
    #82 in Round 3

    Picks in rounds 4-7 to be determined by compensatory picks which are usually announced in late March.
    The #82 pick I think is actually the 81st pick in the draft because the Redskins lose their 3rd round pick for selecting Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft...

  10. #20
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,416

    Re: 2010 Steelers' first three rounds draft picks set

    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Steelers will have overall picks:

    #18 in Round 1
    #52 in Round 2
    #82 in Round 3

    Picks in rounds 4-7 to be determined by compensatory picks which are usually announced in late March.
    The #82 pick I think is actually the 81st pick in the draft because the Redskins lose their 3rd round pick for selecting Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft...

    Jarmon picked in third round
    ESPN.com news services

    The Washington Redskins selected defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon in the third round of the NFL supplemental draft.

    Five teams put in fourth-round claims for the 6-foot-3, 278-pound defensive end, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Redskins have five remaining draft choices in the 2010 draft. They are now without third- and sixth-round picks.

    The Redskins added depth to their defensive line with the selection of Jeremy Jarmon.
    Jarmon, the only player selected in the draft, is only the fourth supplemental choice on an active roster this year. The Chargers have two -- defensive tackle Jamal Williams and safety Paul Oliver -- and the Ravens have one -- left tackle Jared Gaither. Jarmon is the first supplemental pick selected since 2007.

    The Redskins needed to look for a young defensive end because they have too much age at the left end spot of their defensive line. Phillip Daniels is 36 and Renaldo Wynn is 34. The Redskins can develop Jarmon over the next year to take over the starting job and maybe help at defensive tackle on passing downs.

    Jarmon left Kentucky after he was declared ineligible for his senior year because of a failed drug test in which he tested positive for a banned diuretic supplement.

    He fits perfectly in a 4-3 defense. He can play end or tackle.

    Jarmon took the supplement while recovering from a shoulder injury and was not taking part in activities. He had been taking the supplement for 15 days before checking with the training staff, who told him to stop taking it.

    "But it was too late," Jarmon said, reading from a prepared statement in May.

    Jarmon said his goal in the offseason was to become leaner. He bought a dietary supplement while shopping for vitamins on the recommendation of a worker at a nutrition store, not knowing that it contained a banned substance.

    "I do not need to cheat to be successful," he said.

    Jarmon has the third-most sacks in Kentucky history. He was an honorable mention on last season's AP All-Southeastern Conference team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •