Thread: Some draft advice...

Pro Bowler

Some draft advice...

Alright, I need some advice from the draft experts.

Although I would love Gresham with the #21 pick, I don't think it will happen. The blocking skills of Anthony McCoy (TE, USC) makes is an almost forgone conclusion that he will be the TE that we select. Most likely in the 3rd round.

Which leaves rounds 1 and 2 open pick wise. I've been debating what to do in my mock draft for these rounds.

Should I mock a WR in the 1st? Which would most likely would end up being on of the following receivers: Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate, Brandon LaFell, Damian Williams or Demaryius Thomas.

Then go defense in the 2nd: Geno Atkins, Terrell Skinner, Nate Allen or Chad Jones

Or should I mock defense in the 1st: Brian Price, Jared Oldrick or Earl Thomas.
    And go WR in the 2nd: Mardy Gilyard, Eric Decker or Riley Cooper

What do you guys think?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Some draft advice...

I still like Gresham for you, but you decide to go a different direction and wait until round 3 for a TE, I'd go defense first (maybe someone like Brandon Graham or Sean Weatherspoon) then WR in round 2 (I wouldn't be surprised if Demaryius Thomas were still there for you in round 2). Also the Roberts kid from the Citadel was pretty impressive down in Mobile, so he could be a round 2 option.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I still like Gresham for you, but you decide to go a different direction and wait until round 3 for a TE, I'd go defense first (maybe someone like Brandon Graham or Sean Weatherspoon) then WR in round 2 (I wouldn't be surprised if Demaryius Thomas were still there for you in round 2). Also the Roberts kid from the Citadel was pretty impressive down in Mobile, so he could be a round 2 option.
    I like Gresham as well but it doesn't look like my team does. From what I'm hearing he doesn't "fit" our system. Which baffles me to hear but it is what it is. McCoy however does fit. It could also be that we're still trying to make it work with Coffman as a pass catching TE.

Graham I would love as well but after his performance in the senior bowl, teams would have to be crazy to let or Dan Williams drop to #21 overall. If either are there when we pick, I think it's a no brainier.

Weatherspoon is good but his spot in the 4-3 is weak side LB. Which is currently occupied by Keith Rivers. If we take a LB in the first it would probably be Brandon Spikes.

Demaryius Thomas I have mocked in the 2nd round currently, but I highly doubt he'll last that long. Too much upside and size for him to drop to the late 2nd, IMHO. Andre Roberts from the Citadel is not bad if he's around in the 3rd. Would rather have Gilyard in the 2nd...

Hall of Famer

JOM,

I don't like the idea of slotting a player you want later in the draft and building it backwards. You have to start with the first round, because someone could fall in love with McCoy and take him late 2nd or early 3rd.

I think the Bengals need to consider taking Gresham or a WR as their offense really struggled to put up points when the running game wasn't clicking. However, if Earl Thomas fell to 21, you'd have to take him. He has "it." He has the instincts to match the athleticism. He'll get there before the ball and will really put your secondary over the top. If Thomas is gone, and I think he will be. Then you'd need to look at Gresham's recovery from the injury. If everything checks out, he'd be your man. He blocks adequately and he is a top receiving talent with enough speed to split out and to get open down the seam. If he can stay healthy, he's a future all pro. He can give you what you lost with TJ. If Thomas and Gresham are gone, here is how I break down the recievers...
    1. Bryant-will be gone
    2a. LaFell-he is a great underneath receiver, he is a strong and slippery runner who usually makes the first guy miss and drags the second guy for 5 yards. He has decent football speed
    2b.Demaryius Thomas-almost as big as a TE and runs like a WR. He is a little slow off the line and gathers himself to make cuts, but once he hits his stride, he runs past DBs. He has good hands, but may take a couple of years to reach his potential.
    3. Tate-I don't think he plays as fast as some say. But, he is good with the ball in his hands. He is tough and fights for yards. But, he is really a different type of reciever than the other guys at the top here. IF you want a slot guy, he is your man.
    4. Benn-If he puts it together, he could end up being the best of this bunch. But, he didn't develop much this year. He still body catches the deep ball and looks disinterested sometimes. I think he has bust potential.

As far as other first round defensive players. I love Odrick. I'm a PSU fan. He has a great passion for the game and really will do everything he can to improve. After the Senior Bowl, I can't see him lasting into the 20s. But, if he does, I'd probably take him (if Thomas is gone).

If you got a first round defensive player, I'd go with Gilyard in the second. He has that short area quickness that allows a receiver to instantly separate and really saves a smart QB from unnecessary sacks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.