Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me Roethlisberger over Manning

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Give me Roethlisberger over Manning

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

FLA...you actually act like you have a little bit going on upstairs...
    And that, indeed, is a fine example of why you're a bitch.

The PM is over there if you want to insult me. Don't do it in responses to other people.
    I think that was very tame compared to your response to me. How cerebral can a man be who uses the term pillow biter? It's ok bro...you didn't hurt my feelings. How about we just stick to discussing football and keep the personal ish out of our discussions?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't see why you want to do these things that just piss people off, SMG. You've obviously gone and rubbed more than a few people on this forum the wrong with your posting style and subject matter. Even if you were wanting to post verses from the good Book itself on a forum, if it pissed a fair amount of people off why would you do that? OK, there's a legit answer to that, but Uniontown boy apologia? If people don't want to you to post certain things, but you really want to, why not find somewhere else to do it? I've seen you can be nice in the conventional sense when you want to ... why just sometimes?

It's not like you're getting a commision to spread the Uniontown gospel or anything, are you?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Updated: February 2, 2010, 10:48 PM ET
    Irsay plans to break bank for Peyton

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

MIAMI -- Negotiations to extend the contract of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning will begin in earnest after the season, Colts owner Jim Irsay confirmed on Tuesday, and the new deal is expected to make the Colts' star the highest-paid player in NFL history and to keep him with the franchise for his entire career.

Manning's current deal, the final two years of which have been technically voided, will expire after the 2010 season.

"You know it's going to get done," Irsay said during media day interviews. "I think it's clear, and we'll start on it this summer. That's been the way we do things [to hammer out an extension when a player is entering the final year of his contract]. And it'll be the biggest [contract] in history; there's not much doubt about that."

Irsay has said in the past that Manning will be "a Colt for life," and he reiterated that stance on Tuesday morning.

Manning, 33, signed a contract extension for $99.2 million in 2004, and the deal included a record $34.5 million singing bonus, all of it paid up front. The final two seasons of that contract were voided because Manning met predetermined playing-time incentives, making 2010 the final year of the deal.

The Manning contract, Irsay said, "is the easy one to do, because you know it's going to have to be the highest ever." The Colts' owner noted the "harder deals" are the ones involving good, but less important players, and cited former Indianapolis starters like guard Steve McKinney and linebackers Marcus Washington and David Thornton, veterans whom the Colts could not afford to pay because of the franchise's salary structure, and were forced to sacrifice to free agency.

"It simply comes to one question, and that's replaceability," Irsay explained.

"Everything is based on the replaceability factor. You make decisions based on who you can afford to target and keep. ... Other guys you really want to [re-sign] you might have trouble doing it, because of what it costs you, and how much attention they're getting [from other teams in free agency]. We don't have that luxury and we've had to work hard."

Team president Bill Polian said during the season that the club, because it had such high-profile players, often had to determine "how fungible" some players and positions were. But Irsay, who invested about $100 million into the club after his father, Robert Irsay, died in 1997, is prepared to make Manning a very rich man. The younger Irsay, in fact, has dipped into his own wallet in the past to fund the contracts of some key players.

Ironically, the contracts of Manning and New England quarterback Tom Brady are both up after the 2010 campaign. Irsay allowed he will "watch closely" the bargaining on the Brady deal.

"We didn't have the luxury [of not having a salary cap]," Irsay said. "Without one, not having those [constraints], we would have done an incredible job."

There have been some preliminary discussions between Irsay and agent Tom Condon on the Manning deal. Condon, who represents about a dozen starting quarterbacks in the NFL, has a solid relationship with Colts management, and it is difficult to project that a new deal won't be completed.

Last year, Condon negotiated a six-year, $97.5 million contract extension for Eli Manning, with about $35 million in guarantees, that made the New York Giants' star one of the league's highest-paid performers. Depending on the methods of valuation, the highest-paid player in the league with a multiyear contract and based on average compensation per season is Cincinnati quarterback Carson Palmer, at $16.17 million per year.

Given the salary spiral, his stature in the league, and the likelihood that 2010 will be an "uncapped" season, it is not unthinkable to project that Manning could receive an extension pushing $20 million per year, and with a signing bonus of about $50 million.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And I would like to apologize for derailing the thread. Honestly it wasn't my intention.

I first responded before reading the entire thread so at the time I had no idea that it actually became a decent football-related thread. I thought it was a debate over having Howdy Doody come back or something.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    I don't see why you want to do these things that just piss people off, SMG. You've obviously gone and rubbed more than a few people on this forum the wrong with your posting style and subject matter. Even if you were wanting to post verses from the good Book itself on a forum, if it pissed a fair amount of people off why would you do that? OK, there's a legit answer to that, but Uniontown boy apologia? If people don't want to you to post certain things, but you really want to, why not find somewhere else to do it? I've seen you can be nice in the conventional sense when you want to ... why just sometimes?

It's not like you're getting a commision to spread the Uniontown gospel or anything, are you?
    San...it wasn't my intention to piss anyone off. I have even said I will refrain from posting any personal emails from Dutch. I do think it crosses a line to say I can't post public articles about the Steelers. But, if that's what John wishes I will respect that as well. I don't want to talk scripture, politics, debate about racism etc. I just want to talk football.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

And I would like to apologize for derailing the thread. Honestly it wasn't my intention.

I first responded before reading the entire thread so at the time I had no idea that it actually became a decent football-related thread. I thought it was a debate over having Howdy Doody come back or something.
    It's cool man...I really didn't mean to ruffle feathers.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

lol...man up? On a message board?
    Give me a break. I really don't want to have to break it down for you because in my opinion it should be obvious but on the internet as well as in face to face or even telephone communication there are standards, manners, etc.

Whether you're whispering in your wife's ear about some guy you don't like or you're putting it into a post to FLA you're making a back-handed insult that I indeed see as sackless. I am blunt and believe in the righteousness of being candid and up front.

Come on Ein. You are taking this stuff way too seriously. I have nothing personal to say to you...nor do I have anything against you. I could care less about your religious views or your politics. If you want to flame me...more power to you. Honestly, I just want to discuss football.
    I'll decide what I find serious. You don't bother me at all, but I'll be damned if I let people insult me (especially in that sort of sackless way) and not respond to it...if I feel like it lol. Don't care about my religious views or politics? At least you're doing something a little bit better than your apparent mentor.

You want to discuss football? Then speak football. Speak for yourself, write for yourself, keep your insults to yourself, and keep Captain Mongoloid off this friggin site.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think that was very tame compared to your response to me. How cerebral can a man be who uses the term pillow biter? It's ok bro...you didn't hurt my feelings. How about we just stick to discussing football and keep the personal ish out of our discussions?
    I would like to make a point here. Dispute this if you can.

Using terms such as "pillow-biter", cussing, etc and being cerebral are not mutually exclusive...at all. They actually don't have much to do with one another. If you think I can't say everything I said without such terminology you'd be wrong. If you think only someone that isn't "cerebral" or whatever you're going for here wouldn't use such terminology you'd be wrong...

Don't really see the whole thing about not using some parts of the language when you find them more than satisfactory for what you are using them for...

Oh well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Using terms such as "pillow-biter", cussing, etc and being cerebral are not mutually exclusive...at all. They actually don't have much to do with one another. If you think I can't say everything I said without such terminology you'd be wrong. If you think only someone that isn't "cerebral" or whatever you're going for here wouldn't use such terminology you'd be wrong...

Don't really see the whole thing about not using some parts of the language when you find them more than satisfactory for what you are using them for...

Oh well.
    Except - what does "pillow biter" mean? You don't have to answer if typing it out is just not worth the fuss!

Signed -

It's dark in this cave!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh well.
    If I have to explain to you why it appears to be less than cerebral to use terms which slam those of a different sexual orientation than yourself...then I don't know what to say. I never met an intellectual who needed to use those kinds of terms to establish a point.
    Trolls are people too.