Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Lot of 'Face Slapping' Going On

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: A Lot of 'Face Slapping' Going On

What I question is their motivation for the public comments. If it is to gain the support of the common fan, then beyond a few of them the vast majority will offer no sympathy given their own financial states.
    The other thing that irks me is how they claim to be 'owed' or need to 'take care of family'. If I am an owner of a business this is certainly NOT the kind of negotiations I would heed. I want to hear what I will be getting for my money, what will you bring to the table for the next 4 yrs? If you say 'more of the same' then that is fine, I can put a value on that. Too many players feel like they are 'owed' something. Guess what, most have been rewarded quite handsomely for their play. The only thing they might be 'owed' is another opportunity to be a part of the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I don't begrudge entertainers for making millions of dollars on stage and I don't begrudge athletes for trying to get every dime possible. Their careers can be over in an instant and the teams will cut them when they are of no use to the team.

If Will Smith or Johnny Depp can earn 20 million per film (regardless of how good the movie) then I see nothing wrong with players trying to get paid millions as well.
    Unfortunately this is 'old Hollywood' and 'old NFL'. These players are now getting HUGE guaranteed bonuses. They don't need to work another day in their lives and they will do just fine. A drafted QB never played a down in the NFL and he is guaranteed $30M!!! (Of course, I blame owners for travesty as well.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    What I question is their motivation for the public comments. If it is to gain the support of the common fan, then beyond a few of them the vast majority will offer no sympathy given their own financial states.
    The other thing that irks me is how they claim to be 'owed' or need to 'take care of family'. If I am an owner of a business this is certainly NOT the kind of negotiations I would heed. I want to hear what I will be getting for my money, what will you bring to the table for the next 4 yrs? If you say 'more of the same' then that is fine, I can put a value on that. Too many players feel like they are 'owed' something. Guess what, most have been rewarded quite handsomely for their play. The only thing they might be 'owed' is another opportunity to be a part of the team.
    I think it's an honest answer to a question from a reporter... They are "owed" something IMO. You put up numbers that help win games.. you were paid for it and looking to next year thy are of value...

Hines got paid...
    Porter returned for his last year but wasn't tagged..
    Faneca was let go and wasn't tagged...
    I think Casey wants out if he isn't resigned.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I don't begrudge entertainers for making millions of dollars on stage and I don't begrudge athletes for trying to get every dime possible. Their careers can be over in an instant and the teams will cut them when they are of no use to the team.

If Will Smith or Johnny Depp can earn 20 million per film (regardless of how good the movie) then I see nothing wrong with players trying to get paid millions as well.
    Unfortunately this is 'old Hollywood' and 'old NFL'. These players are now getting HUGE guaranteed bonuses. They don't need to work another day in their lives and they will do just fine. A drafted QB never played a down in the NFL and he is guaranteed $30M!!! (Of course, I blame owners for travesty as well.)
    They worked to get those insane bonuses though... it's not fair a player makes way more then a teacher or a soldier..

but you have to remind yourself this money isn't falling from the sky. The game generates insane amounts of money and what the players don't get goes to the owners, the NFL organization and Vegas.

Where else should all the money go? At some point we have to take the blame for spending so much time and money enjoying it.

Why are players despised for making a small percentage while the owners make huge profit?

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I have no problems with what Hampton said. It's a figure of speech.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ultimatley the boss gets his orders to be followed out by the owner or it comes down from the owner straight with no buffers.

If a player signs a contract they should stick to it. If keeping your word and contract is being chained then, the players should have never signed. I hate when I hear these players wanting a new contract because they had a good year or they hear someone else is making more.
    Shouldn't you give your best effort no matter what the pay scale or what you had agreed upon ?

I do like the fact that Casey is not pulling punches. He's putting it right out there and giving the Steelers their chance to make their choice.

I'd rather let a good player go than have a disgruntle person on the team.

Does anyone think Casey will demand a big dollar from another team ? I wonder what team would be interested in him ? Maybe he should get some advice from Ray Lewis ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Ultimatley the boss gets his orders to be followed out by the owner or it comes down from the owner straight with no buffers.

If a player signs a contract they should stick to it. If keeping your word and contract is being chained then, the players should have never signed. I hate when I hear these players wanting a new contract because they had a good year or they hear someone else is making more.
    Shouldn't you give your best effort no matter what the pay scale or what you had agreed upon ?

I do like the fact that Casey is not pulling punches. He's putting it right out there and giving the Steelers their chance to make their choice.

Does anyone think Casey will demand a big dollar from another team ? I wonder what team would be interested in him ? Maybe he should get some advice from Ray Lewis ?
    Unfortunately there are a few stupid owners that are willing to spend way beyond a player's worth.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were 28th in the league in operating margin ($17.8M on revenue of $235M). But the only way any but the top 3 teams make money is through the television deal. Steelers gate receipts were $50M vs payroll of $146M in 2008. This payroll is up more than 50% in the last 5 yrs.
    Yes, the owners are rolling in it. But let me ask who has more at risk, one player with a guaranteed contract (and probably already several million in the bank) or an owner that has to pay on that guarantee x 53??

BTW, why can't we use the NT that played on the other 43% of the snaps that Hampton sat out until we groom the new guy?

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig

Unfortunately there are a few stupid owners that are willing to spend way beyond a player's worth.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were 28th in the league in operating margin ($17.8M on revenue of $235M). But the only way any but the top 3 teams make money is through the television deal. Steelers gate receipts were $50M vs payroll of $146M in 2008. This payroll is up more than 50% in the last 5 yrs.
    Yes, the owners are rolling in it. But let me ask who has more at risk, one player with a guaranteed contract (and probably already several million in the bank) or an owner that has to pay on that guarantee x 53??

BTW, why can't we use the NT that played on the other 43% of the snaps that Hampton sat out until we groom the new guy?
    The Pittsburgh owners have nothing to worry about. Owners of the Bills and Rams have risk..

We don't know what numbers Casey is asking for...

Backup

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like Hampton is putting money as the priority.

I'd like to keep Hampton but not at breaking the bank.