Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Lot of 'Face Slapping' Going On

Legend

User Info Menu

A Lot of 'Face Slapping' Going On

Seems V. Wilfork isn't the only one worried about getting his "face slapped" with a franchise tag:

NT Hampton doesn't want the franchise tag
    Buzz up!By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, January 30, 2010

About the writer
    Scott Brown is the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Steelers beat writer and can be reached at 412-481-5432 or via e-mail.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The Steelers want Casey Hampton, an unrestricted free agent, to return to the team. The Pro Bowl nose tackle wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

How the two sides arrive at that common ground is where it gets a little complicated and potentially messy.

Hampton said Friday "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag and offer him a one-year contract instead of signing the accomplished veteran to a multi-year deal.

"You say we're family, and you'll take care of me. All I've done for this organization, and I feel like that's a slap in my face
    if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

A franchise tag would essentially prevent Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

Hampton didn't elaborate when asked if he would skip offseason practices — most of which are voluntary — or hold out of training camp should the Steelers use a franchise tag on him.

"It will be an issue," he said. "I told (the Steelers) that."

If the Steelers tag the 32-year-old Hampton, they have to offer him a one-year contract that's the average of the top five salaries made by defensive linemen in 2009. That figure will be released next week by the NFL Players' Association.

Hampton, who signed a five-year contract with the Steelers in 2005, made just more than $4 million last season.

The Steelers used a franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks last February to extend their negotiating period with him. They signed Starks to a four-year contract in June.

Hampton said he doesn't want the Steelers to take the same approach with him.

If the two sides can't reach an agreement on a long-term contract before early March, Hampton said, the organization should let the player known as "Big Snack" shop his services elsewhere.

"I believe they're going to try to get something done. But at the end of the day, if the two sides don't come to terms, let me see what's out there," said Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler. "Don't hold me back because you didn't want to sign me before the (2009) season. It's your time to make it right. That's how I see it."

The Steelers declined comment yesterday, citing their policy of not talking about contract negotiations.

The Steelers traditionally don't sign players in their 30s to long-term deals, though they have made exceptions in recent years with linebackers James Harrison and James Farrior.

The organization is in a delicate situation with Hampton. His backup, Chris Hoke, is less than a year younger than Hampton, and finding a capable replacement for the 6-foot-1, 325-pounder in this year's draft is not exactly a sound contingency plan.

"Everybody wants one, but there is just not a lot to go around," ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay said of nose tackles. "That's the one spot that's so hard to find a guy that's big and is a good football player."

Hampton has been both since the Steelers took him with the 19th overall pick of the 2001 draft.

The former Texas star has been a vital part of their 3-4 defense because of his ability to occupy multiple blockers and stand his ground at the line of scrimmage.

Hampton is coming off one of his better seasons — he had 42 tackles and a career-high 2.5 sacks in 2009 — and he said he has plenty of good years left provided he stays healthy.

Nose tackle is a critical if unsung position in the base defense the Steelers play. Enhancing Hampton's value is the trend that has seen more teams switch to the 3-4 alignment that the Steelers use.

"He's definitely one of the top nose tackles in this league," said Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff, who also will play Sunday in the Pro Bowl. "I watch him, and I learn from him. A guy that size you don't expect him to move the way he does."

Hampton said he isn't in a hurry to leave the Steelers. But, he added, it comes down to the Steelers showing him the same commitment he has given them.

"I love the organization. I love the owners. I love the coaches. But this is all about being fair and doing what's right, and I'm big on that," Hampton said. "I want to be in Pittsburgh. There's no question about that.

"Can we make it right? That's what it's going to boil down to."

[url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_664811.html[/url]

I hate contract season. It's the part where money overtakes the 'love for the game'. Where is it written these players need to make their entire extended family millionaires? The median salary in the NFL in 2009 is roughly $770,000. In 2008 it was about $720,000. The Steelers have the highest median salary at $1.1 million, the Packers the lowest at $440,000. The federal poverty level in 2008 was $22,025 for a family of four. The median family income was $27,590. This means there are plenty of people 'feeding their families' for a year on what the typical NFL player makes in 1/2 of a game.
    I don't begrudge these players getting their due, but I detest the negotiations through the media. I lose some respect for those that see that need to gain leverage (or whatever purpose they are trying to accomplish).

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: A Lot of 'Face Slapping' Going On

Lose respect? I think part of the problem is the respect we give football players to begin with. I think it's reckless to compare the poverty level to football salaries. Take the jealousy out of the equation and see the negotiating for what it is. The impact financially a football player has on small businesses is huge.

There is a big difference in revenue for a city when the home team wins. Fans keep putting their financial situation into the equation like it matters. Imagine the janitor coming into your negotiations for a raise and adding his two cents on what is fair or what is enough.

Conan O'Brian was paid 35 million to not tell jokes and spent 1.5 mill on 10 seconds of a beatles song royalty and dressed up a million dollar sports car to look like a mouse.
    Sarah Palin was paid 7 figures for someone else to write her book on why she quit..
    Katie Couric gets paid 10 mill a year to read a TelePrompter at a desk...

Sorry about the random rant on the rich but football players work a lot harder than most athletes and have the worst contracts. I have no problem with a guy airing his grievences in public. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Conan O'Brian was paid 35 million to not tell jokes and spent 1.5 mill on 10 seconds of a beatles song royalty and dressed up a million dollar sports car to look like a mouse.
    Sarah Palin was paid 7 figures for someone else to write her book on why she quit..
    Katie Couric gets paid 10 mill a year to read a TelePrompter at a desk...
    And Casey will be guaranteed almost $7 million if he is tagged...

The common thread is that none of the above people have any reason whatsoever to whine about being "slapped in the face."
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't begrudge entertainers for making millions of dollars on stage and I don't begrudge athletes for trying to get every dime possible. Their careers can be over in an instant and the teams will cut them when they are of no use to the team.

If Will Smith or Johnny Depp can earn 20 million per film (regardless of how good the movie) then I see nothing wrong with players trying to get paid millions as well.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I don't begrudge entertainers for making millions of dollars on stage and I don't begrudge athletes for trying to get every dime possible. Their careers can be over in an instant and the teams will cut them when they are of no use to the team.

If Will Smith or Johnny Depp can earn 20 million per film (regardless of how good the movie) then I see nothing wrong with players trying to get paid millions as well.
    Nor do I...

But, I don't read about Johhny Depp or Will Smith complaining to the media about how the movie studios "done them wrong" by holding them to their contracts...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't like when employees be it ball players, sales clerks or whomever make their statements, " after all I've done for this company. " No one is chained to their job and they were paid to be there from the start. If a player or worker doesn't like things, get out. If the boss doesn't want to pony up, find someone else.

Maybe the grass will be greener for both and maybe it won't. As much as I like Casey, he has to understand his better years are behind him. Having said this, I can't imagine anyone capable of taking his place at the moment or this season.

Steelers in my opinion are in a big hurt if you ask me. We have a lot of veteran players that have meant so much to the team and with age and contracts, we have to bite the bullet and let some go and bring in some youth. Can't always tell if the youth can fill the departed shoes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    I don't like when employees be it ball players, sales clerks or whomever make their statements, " after all I've done for this company. " No one is chained to their job and they were paid to be there from the start. If a player or worker doesn't like things, get out. If the boss doesn't want to pony up, find someone else.

Maybe the grass will be greener for both and maybe it won't. As much as I like Casey, he has to understand his better years are behind him. Having said this, I can't imagine anyone capable of taking his place at the moment or this season.

Steelers in my opinion are in a big hurt if you ask me. We have a lot of veteran players that have meant so much to the team and with age and contracts, we have to bite the bullet and let some go and bring in some youth. Can't always tell if the youth can fill the departed shoes.
    umm... Their bosses are called OWNERS for a reason..LOL!!!

Players are chained to their team and Casey is saying if you don't want to negotiate let someone else pay me. This is why it makes zero sense to compare our jobs to an NFL football player.

The tag is the owners last line of protection for top talent. It gives a team one more year to negotiate and in the brutal sport of football guys go down every day. There is nothing wrong with Casey crying for more money or to be let go. It's part of the business just like the franchise tag.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tag him and let him follow through with his threat of this being "a problem". Steelers put themselves in this position by not pursuing his replacement in the draft or free agency so let's play this through to the end. There's no 2-3 year offer that the Steelers are willing to make now that Casey will think is fair. His value is way more now than it would have been a year or two ago (when we shoulda gotten this done if we intended on kepping him).

When he says "don't hold me back" does he mean that we let him play elsewhere this season and get nothing in return? Talk about "not fair"

Anyway ya slice it up, this is a crappy situation which frustrates this fan because all involved parties - Casey, the steeler FO, snack's agent - saw this coming but just let if slide to this point. If anyone should be crying "not fair" it should be us fans who are invested financially AND emotionally in our team and players. When teams are running the ball up the gut with ease on our defense at least the players and owners will still be counting their millions while I'll be working overtime to replace the tv that I threw my beer through Sunday morning after Ray Rice ran in another touchdown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion

Nor do I...

But, I don't read about Johhny Depp or Will Smith complaining to the media about how the movie studios "done them wrong" by holding them to their contracts...
    You don't read about it because you aren't on film boards or a devoted fan of LionsGate films..LOL!

Most stars complain about what color the M&M's are in their trailor....

Movie stars hold freaking press conferences to complain about their lack of privacy. They complain about "being green" while flying on jumbo jets... if you think a football player is bad spend a few days as an assistant of a movie star...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Tag him and let him follow through with his threat of this being "a problem". Steelers put themselves in this position by not pursuing his replacement in the draft or free agency so let's play this through to the end. There's no 2-3 year offer that the Steelers are willing to make now that Casey will think is fair. His value is way more now than it would have been a year or two ago (when we shoulda gotten this done if we intended on kepping him).

When he says "don't hold me back" does he mean that we let him play elsewhere this season and get nothing in return? Talk about "not fair"

Anyway ya slice it up, this is a crappy situation which frustrates this fan because all involved parties - Casey, the steeler FO, snack's agent - saw this coming but just let if slide to this point. If anyone should be crying "not fair" it should be us fans who are invested financially AND emotionally in our team and players. When teams are running the ball up the gut with ease on our defense at least the players and owners will still be counting their millions while I'll be working overtime to replace the tv that I threw my beer through Sunday morning after Ray Rice ran in another touchdown
    I'm pretty sure Casey's agent didn't let it get to this.. agents are greedy. I bet every chance he gets he is trying to get Casey a new contract.

I blame the FO for this.. we never addressed the NT situation. It's not like Casey was on IR or was a bum.

What else could Casey have done besides being more vocal earlier which would really make the fans mad?