Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Hampton doesn't want tag - "it will be a problem"

Steelers' Hampton doesn't want tag - "it will be a problem"

Steelers' Hampton doesn't want franchise tag

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, January 29, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. If the Steelers don't sign nose tackle Casey Hampton to a multi-year contract within the next five weeks they they should give him the freedom to look elsewhere, the five-time Pro Bowler said today.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, and he said "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag on him. A franchise tag would essentially prevent the 6-foot-1, 325-pound Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

"You say we're family and you'll take care of me, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

If the Steelers tag Hampton, 32, they would have to offer him a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries for defensive linemen in 2009.

Using a franchise tag on the player that has been an anchor for the Steelers' defense would prevent other teams from negotiating with Hampton or force them to give up two first-round draft picks if they made him an offer that the Steelers declined to match.

Hampton turned in one of his better seasons in 2009, notching a career-high 2.5 sacks while making 42 tackles and earning his fourth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl.

The Steelers have said they want Hampton, their first-round draft pick in 2001, back. Hampton wants to return to Pittsburgh as long as the Steelers make the kind of commitment to him that he said he has given to them.

"I love the organization. I love the owners. I love the coaches. But this is all about being fair and doing what's right and I'm big on that," said Hampton, who will play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night. "I want to be in Pittsburgh. There's no question about that. Can we make it right? That's what it's going to boil down to."

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers' Hampton doesn't want tag - "it will be a problem"

What is not "right" about franchising him? He is old(er, meaning his game is bound to drop off). He is fat (making injury more likely). And he is still comparatively productive. (making it desirable to keep him short-term)

And to compensate him (for that year), they would pay him Top 10 NT money (which I guess is upwards of $6,000,000.00)

Yeah... that's not right!
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Legend

It's not right because next year Hampton will be out in limbo...again. From a players perspective it makes total sense. You put up pro bowl numbers and get one lousy year then have to fight for a contract with this team or a new team. There may be a team who wants his services for 3 years but only if it includes the upcoming year and missingthat boat is big money.

From a GM's point of view it makes perfect sense though.

I love how these athletes complain about owners "not making things right" and needing the money to "take care / feed my family".

Please.. these athletes have some balls to make comments like that. A lot of people would like to have a job, let along make 6mil/year when they're already very wealthy.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I love how these athletes complain about owners "not making things right" and needing the money to "take care / feed my family".

Please.. these athletes have some balls to make comments like that. A lot of people would like to have a job, let along make 6mil/year when they're already very wealthy.
    That makes no sense... You said it best though.. a lot of people would love an NFL job but can't do it. Why should Casey be happy with being under valued? His job is dangerous and every play could be his last.

It's not like Casey can be a NT for 45 years and retire. When you subtract agent, taxes, lawyers 6 mill becomes 2.5 mill. Still a nice chunk of change but it has to last the rest of his life.

Now the next response is the "if he can't live off of.." or "If I had that kind of money"
    but step back and be honest... half of America will max a credit card out in the blink of an eye...

When you make more you spend more.. and if you don't the tax man will find a way to get it.

Casey knows very well that he is getting older and is more susceptible than ever to injury, all the more reason for him to seek the longer-term security of a multi-year contract.

If the Steelers were to place the franchise tag on Hampton, he will feel that he is being denied the opportunity to take care of himself and his family and being protected against the possibility of a career-ending injury.

What type of a contract do you think Casey is seeking? I'm guessing 4 years/$30 million?

Typical. Should have seen this coming. When I hear players say "I want to stay in {insert name of their team}. I love it here. I wanna finish my career here" it really means "I'll be signing with another team if/when they don't offer me a multi-year contract worth top dollar"

I hope this situation doesn't get too ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

That makes no sense... You said it best though.. a lot of people would love an NFL job but can't do it. Why should Casey be happy with being under valued? His job is dangerous and every play could be his last.

It's not like Casey can be a NT for 45 years and retire. When you subtract agent, taxes, lawyers 6 mill becomes 2.5 mill. Still a nice chunk of change but it has to last the rest of his life.

Now the next response is the "if he can't live off of.." or "If I had that kind of money"
    but step back and be honest... half of America will max a credit card out in the blink of an eye...

When you make more you spend more.. and if you don't the tax man will find a way to get it.

Obviously, i will disagree with that.. what doesn't make sense about that? Many other jobs are a lot more dangerous than an NFL player. While it's dangerous, they also have the benefit of top notch trainers, physicians which a lot of other jobs don't have. The players have several other sources of income and high paying opportunities that others don't get in addition to their inflated salaries. They also have retirement savings plans like other jobs.

They get handouts as well.. top athletes will be given motorcycles (i.e. Ben), cars... many times they get "treated" to free meals at restaurants because their appearance brings in other customers. They don't have to pay for drinks and entry fees at bars and clubs for the same reason.

These players and whatnot I don't think realize how lucky they have it. Some of them don't have any harder work ethic than most people that work their average day-to-day jobs. What they fail to understand, is they were given a god given talent that 99% of the population were NOT given. May it's heredity or maybe not. And while others are talented as well, they don't make it because they weren't given the necessary "physical attributes" to make it such as not being tall enough, too short of arms, hands too small...etc etc etc. So not only were they gifted with a talent such as being exceptional at a sport, but they were also given the physical attributes to be a professional athlete in that sport. That's what these players fail to recognize. Obviously... there are exceptions..

I'll be honest, with the wealth that these athletes receive, or actors/actresses, musicians, etc. If you lose all that money, your a flat out moron. Yes, some give their money away carelessly, some blow it on cars, and other unnecessary luxury items. Medical, Family reasons and things like that are exceptions as well but they are few and far between. And in most cases, these aren't the reasons for going broke.

If you know absolutely nothing about investment, saving or whatever... they high paying athletes/actors/actresses/musicians/etc can still collect more money all of the damn interest than what most people make in a year.

But with all that being said... I don't think the Steelers have a very good alternative plan at all...

NT is critical for the 3-4. They didn't draft / develop a replacement in previous years so we're kind of stuck.

I would like to see a "fair" 3 year deal for Hampton but I don't think it's going to happen.

what about Ziggy or Harris though? I mean could one of those be the option that the Steelers are looking for. Ziggy would need to add about 10-15 pounds but thats doable. Then we can draft another DE this year high in the draft. I would definitely say a DE is easier to find than a NT and the Steelers have add a year to evaluate if one of those 2 can get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Agreed...lets not "playa hate" I dislike the notion that people should settle for less because they have more. He is worth a nice 3 year contract. He has played at a very high level. He is worth a certain amount on the open market. Why should he have to settle for less? Of course he should be upset. This is his last big payday. I can see his view "pay me what I'm worth or let me go". I have no issue with that.

From the Steelers side of things...they have already paid this man millions. They have certain rights to his football career. Why should they not use them? As much as they want to call this family and such...it's a business. And if I'm the Steelers and he won't sign reasonably...then I franchise him. He won't take the year off that I assure you. That would be career suicide. The only thing you risk at that point is him becoming a cancer and a distraction in the locker room.