Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now...here's what I would do...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now...here's what I would do...

Needs----secondary help, ILB, NT.

1--if Earl Thomas FS is there this is a no brainer. However, he probably wont be there.

And since he wont be and the only other immediate impact player on the board at 18 is Mike Iupati (with the thought that the Steelers are actually satisfied with there O-line), then I personally would trade down.

Here is what I would try to draft.

1-Jared Odrick DT--scouts are calling him the best run stopper in this draft. Great motor, great physicals---if you like Aaron Smith then you will love Odrick and he is so much farther along at this stage than Smith was.

2-Daryl Washington ILB--personally I think when it all said and done he turns out to be the best ILB/MLB out of this draft.

2/3--Chad Jones FS---extra 2nd or 3rd from trading down---he is everything that Taylor Mays is not and yet has nearly the same physical set of skills. Not as fast but still plays with an above average football quickness and instincts.

3-Amari Spievey CB---perfect 3-4 zone blitz corner. Great size and physicality and he has shown solid/descent cover/ball skills.

4-Alterraun Verner CB---yep! back to back CB's. Say what you want about Verner but this kid has just spent the past few years at UCLA making big play after big play. I think one day he have a chance to be considered a mid-round steal.

5-Matt Tennant C---started every game for the past three years at B.C. Solid pass blocker who is decent at run blocker and is considered an above average puller. Getting stronger will help him but he has shown that he is no slouch.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Now...here's what I would do...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Needs----secondary help, ILB, NT.

1--if Earl Thomas FS is there this is a no brainer. However, he probably wont be there.

And since he wont be and the only other immediate impact player on the board at 18 is Mike Iupati (with the thought that the Steelers are actually satisfied with there O-line), then I personally would trade down.

Here is what I would try to draft.

1-Jared Odrick DT--scouts are calling him the best run stopper in this draft. Great motor, great physicals---if you like Aaron Smith then you will love Odrick and he is so much farther along at this stage than Smith was.

2-Daryl Washington ILB--personally I think when it all said and done he turns out to be the best ILB/MLB out of this draft.

2/3--Chad Jones FS---extra 2nd or 3rd from trading down---he is everything that Taylor Mays is not and yet has nearly the same physical set of skills. Not as fast but still plays with an above average football quickness and instincts.

3-Amari Spievey CB---perfect 3-4 zone blitz corner. Great size and physicality and he has shown solid/descent cover/ball skills.

4-Alterraun Verner CB---yep! back to back CB's. Say what you want about Verner but this kid has just spent the past few years at UCLA making big play after big play. I think one day he have a chance to be considered a mid-round steal.

5-Matt Tennant C---started every game for the past three years at B.C. Solid pass blocker who is decent at run blocker and is considered an above average puller. Getting stronger will help him but he has shown that he is no slouch.
    I dont get to follow college football that closely, so I can not speak to the players you have on your list-

but

3 guys in the secondary??? after the team drafted 2 last year, and has a rack of other issues to resolve??

not bloody likely my friend.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Odrick is a real possibility and I really like Tennent minus the size issues. Odrick could be a real force on our DL...and if we can get an extra pick that would be awesome. I'm not sure Thomas will be gone at 18 and agree if he is there he is a no brainer pick hence my sig. The way I would like to see it go down...

Move down and grab Odrick...move up and grab Pouncey.

First two rounds...

Odrick and Pouncey...we are better overnight. Both guys will push for time from day 1.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Love Washington and Jones would be stoked with those 2 in the 2nd and 3rd.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we assume the Steelers don't trade away #18, and don't factor in Compensatory Picks at this point, and assume the Steelers hold true with their line that they want Ryan Clark & Casey Hampton to return, and therefore re-sign them, here's how Chadman would go...for now...

Round 1-

CB Patrick Robinson

Instant upgrade to a position of need. Playmaker, good hands, good school. Probably starts on Day 1 at this point.

Round 2-

OT Ciron Black

Was touted as a 1st round pick last year- but has fallen some. Most draft sites have him falling to around this pick, and looking at the board, there isn't much better talent available than this guy. Could play OG.

Round 3-

DT Cam Thomas

Even if Hampton is re-signed, Chris Hoke is 33, Hampton 32. They'll need to continue to get younger on the DL, and Thomas looks a good prospect.

Round 4-

OC Matt Tennant

Boston College has a knack of producing skilled, technically correct OL players. Tennant's only knock is that he is 'only' 295lbs. Add him quick smart.

Round 5-

FS Myron Rolle

Super smart guy that played SS, but the Steelers system would allow him to shift to FS easily enough. Being so intelligent, one would think he could pick up on LeBeau's difficult schemes & be ready to play earlier. If Rolle is gone, Chadman does like the other Myron- Lewis that is, from Vanderbilt.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman I would be very ok with your #4 and #5.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I dont get to follow college football that closely, so I can not speak to the players you have on your list-

but

3 guys in the secondary??? after the team drafted 2 last year, and has a rack of other issues to resolve??

not bloody likely my friend.

Well I did say it was what I would do. You arent going to solve every team need in one draft. BTW...did you not see the Steelers secondary this past season? I dont care who they drafted last year they still need some help. I am from the school of...."in the later rounds draft best player available who also fills a need". Why use a 4th or 5th round pick on just to fill a need when the player really isnt that good??? Personally I would rather have Speivey or Verner playing opposite of Taylor over Gay, Burnett, Townsend or Lewis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If we assume the Steelers don't trade away #18, and don't factor in Compensatory Picks at this point, and assume the Steelers hold true with their line that they want Ryan Clark & Casey Hampton to return, and therefore re-sign them, here's how Chadman would go...for now...

Round 1-

CB Patrick Robinson
    Have you seen much of Robinson? He is a "me first" type of player. Show-boater who like the one he tries to immulate (Deion Sanders), shies away from contact. Problem is, he doesnt cover like Deion. I think you would do better with a guy like Perrish Cox. Now he is physical.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Round 1-

CB Patrick Robinson
    Have you seen much of Robinson? He is a "me first" type of player. Show-boater who like the one he tries to immulate (Deion Sanders), shies away from contact. Problem is, he doesnt cover like Deion. I think you would do better with a guy like Perrish Cox. Now he is physical.
    I have to say I thought Robinson was the best DB on the field during the Senior Bowl..he totally locked down his men.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo

Round 1-

CB Patrick Robinson
    I have to say I thought Robinson was the best DB on the field during the Senior Bowl..he totally locked down his men.
    I'm not saying he isnt good I just think he is going to have issues at the next level based on his personality/approach.