Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    ignore the needs at OL, Secondary and DL and draft LB Sean Weatherspoon at 18. I think that is a real possibility and something to watch develop over the next month.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if you guys took Weatherspoon. From what I hear the guy can play any LB position in any scheme...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Rooney has spoken. It was very odd that his opinions were directed to onfield / coaching issues. "Run the ball." "Younger players need to see the field earlier." It has teeth!

Making it known that Hampton, Clark, & Reed are priorities tells me they have a direction. After taking it all in, I came to a conclusion that even forced me to change my mock. They will get those deals done because the window is still open with them. There is a 2-3 year window where Hampton & Clark can still give you their best play. They are in the plans.

With those 2 locked up...It is simple. RUN...RUN...RUN. The passing offense is potent and puts points on the board. The only think stopping them now at being elite is keeping the ball away from the other offense when we have the lead. My gut tells me it will be these PLAYERS...This order...If available. Iupati, Bulaga, Williams, or Spiller. I think Iupati will be higher on their board because Day one he plays "in college poisition" at the Steelers biggest hole. He fits the mold of an "Old School" Steelers G. He's Faneca! Having Iupati at RG with Kemo at LG takes the handing out of the offense. Any of you who played ball knows what that does to the run game and what it does to a defense to try to defend it.

The Steelers will address CB in the first 3 picks if Clark is retained. S will come later with the starters in place. Where the Steelers sit in the draft, it favors them more to address OL in the 1st, CB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd. OL looks to be heavy mid 1st and CB looks to be heavy early 2nd. If things fall right, the Steelers 1st 3 picks all could have significant production year 1.

Smoke screens are always used but this one might be more clear. Hampton isn't going anywhere in my opinion. The Steelers just can't replace him quick enough. They had options with Faneca. Hoke is an emergency option...But the window is still too open to use your emergency option. The Steelers hold the cards on Hampton. Clark wants to stay and the Steelers want him. Retaining Clark really simplifies things. It really makes good business sense to retain both of them. Having Troy come back healthy with Smith is a big step forward. Getting a CB early and depth at ILB, OLB, DT & S through the draft makes this defense better now. Loosing Hampton & Clark, even with Toy & Smith coming back, could be a major setback.
    "RUN...RUN...RUN" = CJ Spiller plus he can CATCH...CATCH...CATCH plus he can RETURN...RETIURN...RETURN.

Look at it this way, for the #18 pick you get the equivalent of Mendy, Logan and Wallace. How is that not value?
    I would be OK with Spiller if the other guys are off the board. I wouldn't be ok with him if any of the 3 were still there. You could get a guy like Tate in the 3rd who isn't far behind and could see the same playing time. You can't get an OL of this caliber "right out of the box" in the 3rd. I think an OL at #18 starts day one. Spiller would have his role and see the field...But I think the impact guy will be on the OL first if he is there.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":5kzqts8d
    Rooney has spoken. It was very odd that his opinions were directed to onfield / coaching issues. "Run the ball." "Younger players need to see the field earlier." It has teeth!

Making it known that Hampton, Clark, & Reed are priorities tells me they have a direction. After taking it all in, I came to a conclusion that even forced me to change my mock. They will get those deals done because the window is still open with them. There is a 2-3 year window where Hampton & Clark can still give you their best play. They are in the plans.

With those 2 locked up...It is simple. RUN...RUN...RUN. The passing offense is potent and puts points on the board. The only think stopping them now at being elite is keeping the ball away from the other offense when we have the lead. My gut tells me it will be these PLAYERS...This order...If available. Iupati, Bulaga, Williams, or Spiller. I think Iupati will be higher on their board because Day one he plays "in college poisition" at the Steelers biggest hole. He fits the mold of an "Old School" Steelers G. He's Faneca! Having Iupati at RG with Kemo at LG takes the handing out of the offense. Any of you who played ball knows what that does to the run game and what it does to a defense to try to defend it.

The Steelers will address CB in the first 3 picks if Clark is retained. S will come later with the starters in place. Where the Steelers sit in the draft, it favors them more to address OL in the 1st, CB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd. OL looks to be heavy mid 1st and CB looks to be heavy early 2nd. If things fall right, the Steelers 1st 3 picks all could have significant production year 1.

Smoke screens are always used but this one might be more clear. Hampton isn't going anywhere in my opinion. The Steelers just can't replace him quick enough. They had options with Faneca. Hoke is an emergency option...But the window is still too open to use your emergency option. The Steelers hold the cards on Hampton. Clark wants to stay and the Steelers want him. Retaining Clark really simplifies things. It really makes good business sense to retain both of them. Having Troy come back healthy with Smith is a big step forward. Getting a CB early and depth at ILB, OLB, DT & S through the draft makes this defense better now. Loosing Hampton & Clark, even with Toy & Smith coming back, could be a major setback.
    "RUN...RUN...RUN" = CJ Spiller plus he can CATCH...CATCH...CATCH plus he can RETURN...RETIURN...RETURN.

Look at it this way, for the #18 pick you get the equivalent of Mendy, Logan and Wallace. How is that not value?
    I would be OK with Spiller if the other guys are off the board. I wouldn't be ok with him if any of the 3 were still there. You could get a guy like Tate in the 3rd who isn't far behind and could see the same playing time. You can't get an OL of this caliber "right out of the box" in the 3rd. I think an OL at #18 starts day one. Spiller would have his role and see the field...But I think the impact guy will be on the OL first if he is there.[/quote:5kzqts8d]

Tate is nothing like Spiller. Spiller is a threat to take the ball to the house everytime he touches it. He has Joe Cribbs ability, Tate doesn't.

The only OL that has a chance to start Day would be Iupati at RG. I'd be OK with that. None of the OTs start in 2010 unless Starks or Colon is injured..
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    darfting another RB in the 1st round would be the dumbest move you can make. especially a back-up. i will puke if that happens.

improve the OL and my milkman can get the 500-600 yards the #2 RB will get.

best available OL or DL. possibly a S.
    you have a milkman?

anyway... I wouldn't be surprised if we went RB... or BPA. Moore is not special with Mend in the 3d down role...

I think the OL will be fine with a new coach.. the DB's while ugly without Troy last year will get better with reps. I think Troy's injury exposed the extra year it takes to grasp our D. While it was frustrating to watch, after winning a SB I'm OK with a down year to get our legs back and make another run.

DL should be our 1st round pick IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tate is nothing like Spiller. Spiller is a threat to take the ball to the house everytime he touches it. He has Joe Cribbs ability, Tate doesn't.

The only OL that has a chance to start Day would be Iupati at RG. I'd be OK with that. None of the OTs start in 2010 unless Starks or Colon is injured..
    Didn't say Tate was like Spiller. Said Tate isn't far behind meaning drop off. Of course if you ask anyone if you want Spiller or Tate the choice would be Spiller. I'm not arguing RB for RB. The combination of say Iupati @ #1 & Tate @ #3 will be more productive than any combination of Spiller @ #1 and Whomever. Iupati, Bulaga, & Williams would all start opening day at RG. They would be one of the 5 OL on the team and beat out Stapleton, Essex, Urbik, or Legursky for the spot. All three played G. And it look like all three could play at least RT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    ignore the needs at OL, Secondary and DL and draft LB Sean Weatherspoon at 18. I think that is a real possibility and something to watch develop over the next month.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if you guys took Weatherspoon. From what I hear the guy can play any LB position in any scheme...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took Weatherspoon with our first pick, although I would prefer if we traded down first and picked up some extra picks. Weatherspoon has shown a lot of energy, enthusiasm and leadership at the Senior Bowl.

James Farrior needs to be replaced soon, he has lost a step and a half and can no longer keep up with his man in pass coverage. There were some crucial situations where other teams targeted Farrior to pick up key first downs last season and that's only going to increase in the future as other teams have noticed this.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

darfting another RB in the 1st round would be the dumbest move you can make. especially a back-up. i will puke if that happens.

improve the OL and my milkman can get the 500-600 yards the #2 RB will get.

best available OL or DL. possibly a S.
    well if we dont resign parker we will be pretty thin at RB and you need 2 rb's of starting caliber these days. parker is a great compliment to mendy but spiller would be an even better one. he would be an upgrade in two positions. i like logan but i think spiller will be a better return man. i would be willing to bet he will be the BPA at #18 if he is still on the board

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

they can address the back-up RB in the mid rounds. everyone else seems to do it. lets remember, they only play with 1 football. we have plenty of weapons on offense to win football games in this league. whose touches go down to work spiller into the offense?

we need to get stronger in the middle of the field, IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

they can address the back-up RB in the mid rounds. everyone else seems to do it. lets remember, they only play with 1 football. we have plenty of weapons on offense to win football games in this league. whose touches go down to work spiller into the offense?

Early picks must be on defense or o-line. No offensive skill position picks until day 3.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Early picks must be on defense or o-line. No offensive skill position picks until day 3.
    I do not want my skill players selected in late rounds...

I'll take DL first round but no thanks on the OL..
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"