Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    I won't be surprised if Steelers draft an OT in 1st Rd and OG/OC in 2nd Rd. Improving O-line would improve 3rd and short/Red Zone struggles.
    Just really don't think this happens. They have 5 returning starters and I think they will take a wait and see approach with the new OL coach and how he can improve what he has.

    The team has never been as down on the OL as the fans have and I don't think that changes this draft.
    I don't think O-Line is the real weakness but they can definitely improve.

    If Steelers can get hold of one of the top 3 OT in this draft then they need to draft him even though 5 starters are returning.

    I would draft Earl Thomas though if he is available.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    I won't be surprised if Steelers draft an OT in 1st Rd and OG/OC in 2nd Rd. Improving O-line would improve 3rd and short/Red Zone struggles.
    Just really don't think this happens. They have 5 returning starters and I think they will take a wait and see approach with the new OL coach and how he can improve what he has.

    The team has never been as down on the OL as the fans have and I don't think that changes this draft.
    I think it depends on who is available. If Iupati or Bulaga are there at #18, I think that there is a very good chance they draft one of them. Even if they tender Colon, it would appear that he is not in their plans down the road. I don't know if the team is "down" on their o-line personnel or not. But I bet they will not pass on a chance to upgrade it if the BPA at #18 is an OG or OT.

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    ignore the needs at OL, Secondary and DL and draft LB Sean Weatherspoon at 18. I think that is a real possibility and something to watch develop over the next month.
    what are the needs at OL? they are a young group and have improved a great deal. if they dont re-sign colon or if they want to up grade the center position ok but i dont see any glaring needs. ben will take sacks no matter who is blocking for him and they dont have a legit short yardage back. the last game of the season they ran all over a very good run defense. there are more needs at DL and the secondary. they didnt really ignore the DL last season since they drafted ziggy who looks to be a good pick so far

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,562

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    I won't be surprised if Steelers draft an OT in 1st Rd and OG/OC in 2nd Rd. Improving O-line would improve 3rd and short/Red Zone struggles.
    Just really don't think this happens. They have 5 returning starters and I think they will take a wait and see approach with the new OL coach and how he can improve what he has.

    The team has never been as down on the OL as the fans have and I don't think that changes this draft.
    I think it depends on who is available. If Iupati or Bulaga are there at #18, I think that there is a very good chance they draft one of them. Even if they tender Colon, it would appear that he is not in their plans down the road. I don't know if the team is "down" on their o-line personnel or not. But I bet they will not pass on a chance to upgrade it if the BPA at #18 is an OG or OT.
    I'd be happy with Iupati but I still want a homerun with CJ Spiller. No one here mentions it, but we do have a need at RB. Mendy is good, Moore is nothing but a role player. We need a legit #2 back who has a skillset significantly better than Moore. Forget about Summers and "Pre Season Hero" Redman. They couldn't help if Mendy went down.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,266

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    i'll be suprised if its not OL or a DN unless mcclain slips down to us

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    I won't be surprised if Steelers draft an OT in 1st Rd and OG/OC in 2nd Rd. Improving O-line would improve 3rd and short/Red Zone struggles.
    Just really don't think this happens. They have 5 returning starters and I think they will take a wait and see approach with the new OL coach and how he can improve what he has.

    The team has never been as down on the OL as the fans have and I don't think that changes this draft.
    I think it depends on who is available. If Iupati or Bulaga are there at #18, I think that there is a very good chance they draft one of them. Even if they tender Colon, it would appear that he is not in their plans down the road. I don't know if the team is "down" on their o-line personnel or not. But I bet they will not pass on a chance to upgrade it if the BPA at #18 is an OG or OT.
    I'd be happy with Iupati but I still want a homerun with CJ Spiller. No one here mentions it, but we do have a need at RB. Mendy is good, Moore is nothing but a role player. We need a legit #2 back who has a skillset significantly better than Moore. Forget about Summers and "Pre Season Hero" Redman. They couldn't help if Mendy went down.
    I don't see them drafting another RB in round one. But then again, I was completely shocked when they drafted Mendy. My guess is that they will draft a RB in round 3 or 4.

  7. #17
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,607

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    ignore the needs at OL, Secondary and DL and draft LB Sean Weatherspoon at 18. I think that is a real possibility and something to watch develop over the next month.
    what are the needs at OL? they are a young group and have improved a great deal. if they dont re-sign colon or if they want to up grade the center position ok but i dont see any glaring needs. ben will take sacks no matter who is blocking for him and they dont have a legit short yardage back. the last game of the season they ran all over a very good run defense. there are more needs at DL and the secondary. they didnt really ignore the DL last season since they drafted ziggy who looks to be a good pick so far
    We have no depth at tackle whatsoever. I don't think Tony Hills has dressed for anything other than preseason games in his first two years in the league. What happens if anything happens to Starks or Colon? Do you move Essex back to tackle? Do you move Foster back to tackle? Would you trust any of these guys with protecting Ben's blind side while he routinely holds the ball for 5+ seconds back there?

    I don't think that you can ever have enough good o-lineman, especially tackles, even though the more glaring weaknesses are at right guard and center. We are rarely in position to be able to draft a top tackle because of their scarcity (there are never any left by the time we typically pick late in the first round). But this season, there are five legit first round OT prospects that could interest us (Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, Bryan Bulaga, and Trent Williams...Charles Brown may also have a first round grade, but he is an undersized guy that wouldn't really fit with what we usually look for in our o-lineman). A few of those top-rated OT's should be off the board by the time we pick at #18, but I think that there should still be a couple of options for us to consider there.

    Although we can keep Colon for this coming season with an RFA tender, what if his contract demands after that are beyond what we are willing to pay for his services, since we will also need to spend a pretty penny to extend Woodley and Santonio? Wouldn't it be nice to have a solid OT prospect with a year of experience just in case Colon leaves for another team in 2011? And for this season, we can use our 3rd tackle as a tackle-eligible on short-yardage plays (one of our biggest weaknesses this past season was converting short yardage runs). And what if the rookie shines in training camp this year, allowing our new o-line coach to consider sliding Colon over to RG (something Zeirlein was never willing to consider).

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,480

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Rooney has spoken. It was very odd that his opinions were directed to onfield / coaching issues. "Run the ball." "Younger players need to see the field earlier." It has teeth!

    Making it known that Hampton, Clark, & Reed are priorities tells me they have a direction. After taking it all in, I came to a conclusion that even forced me to change my mock. They will get those deals done because the window is still open with them. There is a 2-3 year window where Hampton & Clark can still give you their best play. They are in the plans.

    With those 2 locked up...It is simple. RUN...RUN...RUN. The passing offense is potent and puts points on the board. The only think stopping them now at being elite is keeping the ball away from the other offense when we have the lead. My gut tells me it will be these PLAYERS...This order...If available. Iupati, Bulaga, Williams, or Spiller. I think Iupati will be higher on their board because Day one he plays "in college poisition" at the Steelers biggest hole. He fits the mold of an "Old School" Steelers G. He's Faneca! Having Iupati at RG with Kemo at LG takes the handing out of the offense. Any of you who played ball knows what that does to the run game and what it does to a defense to try to defend it.

    The Steelers will address CB in the first 3 picks if Clark is retained. S will come later with the starters in place. Where the Steelers sit in the draft, it favors them more to address OL in the 1st, CB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd. OL looks to be heavy mid 1st and CB looks to be heavy early 2nd. If things fall right, the Steelers 1st 3 picks all could have significant production year 1.

    Smoke screens are always used but this one might be more clear. Hampton isn't going anywhere in my opinion. The Steelers just can't replace him quick enough. They had options with Faneca. Hoke is an emergency option...But the window is still too open to use your emergency option. The Steelers hold the cards on Hampton. Clark wants to stay and the Steelers want him. Retaining Clark really simplifies things. It really makes good business sense to retain both of them. Having Troy come back healthy with Smith is a big step forward. Getting a CB early and depth at ILB, OLB, DT & S through the draft makes this defense better now. Loosing Hampton & Clark, even with Toy & Smith coming back, could be a major setback.



  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,562

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Rooney has spoken. It was very odd that his opinions were directed to onfield / coaching issues. "Run the ball." "Younger players need to see the field earlier." It has teeth!

    Making it known that Hampton, Clark, & Reed are priorities tells me they have a direction. After taking it all in, I came to a conclusion that even forced me to change my mock. They will get those deals done because the window is still open with them. There is a 2-3 year window where Hampton & Clark can still give you their best play. They are in the plans.

    With those 2 locked up...It is simple. RUN...RUN...RUN. The passing offense is potent and puts points on the board. The only think stopping them now at being elite is keeping the ball away from the other offense when we have the lead. My gut tells me it will be these PLAYERS...This order...If available. Iupati, Bulaga, Williams, or Spiller. I think Iupati will be higher on their board because Day one he plays "in college poisition" at the Steelers biggest hole. He fits the mold of an "Old School" Steelers G. He's Faneca! Having Iupati at RG with Kemo at LG takes the handing out of the offense. Any of you who played ball knows what that does to the run game and what it does to a defense to try to defend it.

    The Steelers will address CB in the first 3 picks if Clark is retained. S will come later with the starters in place. Where the Steelers sit in the draft, it favors them more to address OL in the 1st, CB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd. OL looks to be heavy mid 1st and CB looks to be heavy early 2nd. If things fall right, the Steelers 1st 3 picks all could have significant production year 1.

    Smoke screens are always used but this one might be more clear. Hampton isn't going anywhere in my opinion. The Steelers just can't replace him quick enough. They had options with Faneca. Hoke is an emergency option...But the window is still too open to use your emergency option. The Steelers hold the cards on Hampton. Clark wants to stay and the Steelers want him. Retaining Clark really simplifies things. It really makes good business sense to retain both of them. Having Troy come back healthy with Smith is a big step forward. Getting a CB early and depth at ILB, OLB, DT & S through the draft makes this defense better now. Loosing Hampton & Clark, even with Toy & Smith coming back, could be a major setback.
    "RUN...RUN...RUN" = CJ Spiller plus he can CATCH...CATCH...CATCH plus he can RETURN...RETIURN...RETURN.

    Look at it this way, for the #18 pick you get the equivalent of Mendy, Logan and Wallace. How is that not value?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #20

    Re: Don't be surprised when the Steelers....

    darfting another RB in the 1st round would be the dumbest move you can make. especially a back-up. i will puke if that happens.

    improve the OL and my milkman can get the 500-600 yards the #2 RB will get.

    best available OL or DL. possibly a S.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •