Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilfork: Franchise tag would be "slap in the face"

Legend

User Info Menu

Wilfork: Franchise tag would be "slap in the face"

Casey Hampton has made similar comments about not wanting to be tagged, would you tag him anyway after reading this kind of an article and realizing just how unhappy Big Snack would be if we did so anyway against his wishes?

Wilfork: Pats haven't called about deal
    ESPNBoston.com

Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork said Wednesday he would consider it a "slap in the face" if the New England Patriots place the franchise tag on him, which is expected if a long-term extension is not reached.

“[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK. But I don't look at myself as an OK player. ... It's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

"I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank," Wilfork said during an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI.

Wilfork, who has been vocal since about his desire for an extension, just finished the final season of a six-year rookie contract. He is in line for a raise and long-term deal if he hits the open market. The Patriots could prevent him from being a free agent if they place the franchise tag on him, which they could during a two-week stretch in February.

"I didn't like that six-year deal but I did honor my six-year deal," Wilfork said on WEEI. "Now that the deal is up, it's time for me to move forward, with the Patriots or without the Patriots."

Wilfork, 28, is a two-time Pro Bowler. He would view being tagged as an insult by the Patriots.

"[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK," Wilfork said. "But I don't look at myself as an OK player. Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

For Wilfork, the franchise tag -- which is a one-year deal -- also means a missed opportunity to gain long-term financial security for his family.

"There's a short window of opportunity for me to make the type of money that I want to make ..." Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and be part of a great organization.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Wilfork: Franchise tag would be "slap in the face"

Yes you still tag the Snack. If he is willing to laydown on his team...he will kill his ability to get a nice contract with anyone in the future.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Yes you still tag the Snack. If he is willing to laydown on his team...he will kill his ability to get a nice contract with anyone in the future.

I read somewhere that Casey is claiming he has been promised that he would not be tagged. I don't know who supposedly said it, but it would be hard to go back on your word if that is indeed true.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

I read somewhere that Casey is claiming he has been promised that he would not be tagged. I don't know who supposedly said it, but it would be hard to go back on your word if that is indeed true.
    Front Office bs all the time. I get bs'd at my place of employment...nah Shawn...it's a great place to work...just need you for a few hours to cover. If someone said that to him...they shouldn't have because if they can't reach a deal they will tag him. They would be stupid not to.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Front Office bs all the time. I get bs'd at my place of employment...nah Shawn...it's a great place to work...just need you for a few hours to cover. If someone said that to him...they shouldn't have because if they can't reach a deal they will tag him. They would be stupid not to.

I agree, especially since the amount of money necessary to tag him wouldn't be that exorbitant at all.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/8971/scouts-inc-on-casey-hampton"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... ey-hampton[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

How in the hell is the franchise tag a slap in the face in which "basically tell me I'm an OK player"???

News flash...the franchise tag pays you THE AVERAGE OF THE TOP FIVE HIGHEST-PAID PLAYERS AT YOUR POSITION IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. That's not just saying you are "okay"...that is saying that you are invaluable and the team does not want to lose your services. The franchise tag does not prevent you from then signing a long-term deal with a big ol' signing bonus...that is exactly what we did with Max Starks. It basically buys the player and the team more bargaining time to work out a deal, and if they are not able to agree to such a deal, the player is still paid handsomely for that one year of service.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    How in the hell is the franchise tag a slap in the face in which "basically tell me I'm an OK player"???

News flash...the franchise tag pays you THE AVERAGE OF THE TOP FIVE HIGHEST-PAID PLAYERS AT YOUR POSITION IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. That's not just saying you are "okay"...that is saying that you are invaluable and the team does not want to lose your services. The franchise tag does not prevent you from then signing a long-term deal with a big ol' signing bonus...that is exactly what we did with Max Starks. It basically buys the player and the team more bargaining time to work out a deal, and if they are not able to agree to such a deal, the player is still paid handsomely for that one year of service.
    What about injury? Vinnateri said he left the Pats because the franchise tag. I think it's not being able to test the market and feeling handcuffed by your boss.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfork
    For Wilfork, the franchise tag -- which is a one-year deal -- also means a missed opportunity to gain long-term financial security for his family.

"There's a short window of opportunity for me to make the type of money that I want to make ..." Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and be part of a great organization.
    This quote just about makes me sick. I'm fortunate enough to make a good living doing something I love, but am by no means what anyone would consider "rich".

If you assume the average American makes around $50 K per year, these spoiled punks will make WAY more in one season than most regular folks will make in a 30 to 40-year career, and many people will be doing something they don't even enjoy.

Get a freaking clue and STFU, Wilfork.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfork

This quote just about makes me sick. I'm fortunate enough to make a good living doing something I love, but am by no means what anyone would consider "rich".

If you assume the average American makes around $50 K per year, these spoiled punks will make WAY more in one season than most regular folks will make in a 30 to 40-year career, and many people will be doing something they don't even enjoy.

Get a freaking clue and STFU, Wilfork.
    I share your sentiments but part of me understands Wilfork's comments. I see young guys coming out of school at our company making 80% of what I am making after 25 yrs on the job. I understand the 'salary compression' thing, but if I had some way to make a quantum leap in pay I guess I would take a shot. However, I wouldn't consider it a 'slap in the face' to be a top percentile wage-earner.