Casey Hampton has made similar comments about not wanting to be tagged, would you tag him anyway after reading this kind of an article and realizing just how unhappy Big Snack would be if we did so anyway against his wishes?

Wilfork: Pats haven't called about deal
ESPNBoston.com

Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork said Wednesday he would consider it a "slap in the face" if the New England Patriots place the franchise tag on him, which is expected if a long-term extension is not reached.

“[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK. But I don't look at myself as an OK player. ... It's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

"I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank," Wilfork said during an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI.

Wilfork, who has been vocal since about his desire for an extension, just finished the final season of a six-year rookie contract. He is in line for a raise and long-term deal if he hits the open market. The Patriots could prevent him from being a free agent if they place the franchise tag on him, which they could during a two-week stretch in February.

"I didn't like that six-year deal but I did honor my six-year deal," Wilfork said on WEEI. "Now that the deal is up, it's time for me to move forward, with the Patriots or without the Patriots."

Wilfork, 28, is a two-time Pro Bowler. He would view being tagged as an insult by the Patriots.

"[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK," Wilfork said. "But I don't look at myself as an OK player. Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

For Wilfork, the franchise tag -- which is a one-year deal -- also means a missed opportunity to gain long-term financial security for his family.

"There's a short window of opportunity for me to make the type of money that I want to make ..." Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and be part of a great organization.