Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Ryan Clark

Re: Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Ryan Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    after reading this article I now believe the Steelers will re-sign Ryan Clark and NOT draft a FS in the 1st round...
    I don't agree. I think the Hampton issue prevents them from resigning Clark for anything other than a discount. Clarks says the right things but actions speak louder than words and he knows this is his last big contract so he will want a raise over what he gets now. I just don't think we can do that.

As pointed out it is tough to have your two Safeties as two of the highest paid players on your defense especially when Clark really isn't a playmaking FS who gets lots of picks.

I just think with Hampton and Colon (yes I know he can be tagged, but they probably want him long term) as priorities Clark is the odd man out.
    But, if we let him go...there is a real possibility that we will draft a first round safety. More money into the safeties. Even a bigger issue? What if we don't sign Clark and we don't draft a first round safety. Are you comfortable with Mundy or a second/third rounder starting back there? Talk about problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    On a reasonable contract, there is no reason Clark shouldn't be brought back.

That being said, the Steelers still need an upgrade at FS, even if it's only a depth thing for next season, before inserting Clark in as the back-up FS/SS.

Chadman is starting to think we havn't given the implecations of NO SALARY CAP enough thought- there is no reason the Steelers can't re-sign all the FA's they want, so long as they don't break the roster limit. So there is no real reason for teams or players to be worried about bringing players back at a 'reasonable price'. If the Steelers are serious about winning another SB, why not bring back Clark & Hampton, sign a couple of FA's while we are at it.
    Because the Rooney's do not have an unlimited budget. The Rooney's, like most ownership groups, have to also consider the fact that there won't be a full season in 2011. Which means there may not be full revenue. I think a lot of teams will be conservative this year with money. An owner like Dan Snyder is an exception since he owns one of the richest franchise's in the league.
    This is the first that I have heard that there won't be a full 2011 season. Is that a definite or just talk?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    On a reasonable contract, there is no reason Clark shouldn't be brought back.

That being said, the Steelers still need an upgrade at FS, even if it's only a depth thing for next season, before inserting Clark in as the back-up FS/SS.

Chadman is starting to think we havn't given the implecations of NO SALARY CAP enough thought- there is no reason the Steelers can't re-sign all the FA's they want, so long as they don't break the roster limit. So there is no real reason for teams or players to be worried about bringing players back at a 'reasonable price'. If the Steelers are serious about winning another SB, why not bring back Clark & Hampton, sign a couple of FA's while we are at it.
    Because the Rooney's do not have an unlimited budget. The Rooney's, like most ownership groups, have to also consider the fact that there won't be a full season in 2011. Which means there may not be full revenue. I think a lot of teams will be conservative this year with money. An owner like Dan Snyder is an exception since he owns one of the richest franchise's in the league.
    This is the first that I have heard that there won't be a full 2011 season. Is that a definite or just talk?
    If there is still no CBA after 2010 season then there is a high probability that there is a lockout. Not certain but that is what owners have always talked about.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!