Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colts open as four-point favorites over Saints

Colts open as four-point favorites over Saints

Colts open as four-point favorites over Saints in Super Bowl XLIV

It's set to be one of the most anticipated Super Bowls in history. Oddsmakers think it will be a close one too.

The Indianapolis Colts opened as four-point favorites over the New Orleans Saints for Super Bowl XLIV. It's one of the narrowest lines of the last two decades. Since 1988, only the Ravens-Giants Super Bowl opened with a smaller spread.

There had been some talk earlier in the week that a potential Colts-Saints game would open with an even narrower spread (Colts -2 was the rumor, Bill Simmons suggested it could be a pick 'em), but perhaps the porousness of the Saints' defense in Sunday's NFC championship game shifted perceptions a bit. It seems to have with those wagering on the game. According to Chad Millman the line has shifted a half-point (to Colts 4.5) in the first few minutes it was open at various Las Vegas sports books.

The over/under for the Feb. 7 game opened at 56, the highest in history.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Colts open as four-point favorites over Saints

Chadman will say it now- the Colts will win, by 12 or so.

It likely WON'T be the greatest SB of all time- too much anticiption placed on it already.

Colts will play sensible, mistake-free football & starve the Saints of time of possesion.

Manning may as well start making room on his mantlepiece for a SB MVP trophy.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Peyton Manning must be salivating over facing the Saints defense...Colts by 10.

Legend

I hate the lovefest the NFL has with Peyton but I have to give him credit. He carved the Jets D up something terrible. Unless the Saints D has 5 to 6 TO's I don't see how they win. Saints do remind me of what we couldve been this year if our D had Troy. The D kept making plays when the O stalled. It should be entertaining.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I'll be rooting for the other Black and Gold team in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Colts open as four-point favorites over Saints in Super Bowl XLIV

It's set to be one of the most anticipated Super Bowls in history. Oddsmakers think it will be a close one too.

The Indianapolis Colts opened as four-point favorites over the New Orleans Saints for Super Bowl XLIV. It's one of the narrowest lines of the last two decades. Since 1988, only the Ravens-Giants Super Bowl opened with a smaller spread.

There had been some talk earlier in the week that a potential Colts-Saints game would open with an even narrower spread (Colts -2 was the rumor, Bill Simmons suggested it could be a pick 'em), but perhaps the porousness of the Saints' defense in Sunday's NFC championship game shifted perceptions a bit. It seems to have with those wagering on the game. According to Chad Millman the line has shifted a half-point (to Colts 4.5) in the first few minutes it was open at various Las Vegas sports books.

The over/under for the Feb. 7 game opened at 56, the highest in history.
    And that close Ravens-Giants Super Bowl line ended getting smashed when the Ravens destroyed the Giants. I expect similar game with Colts winning it. The wild card will be the Saints d. They make $hit happen. But you can't rely on turnovers as a means of gameplanning and betting on a team. On a level playing field...I just think the Colts are better. Let the hype machine take over these next two weeks.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

AS long as Manning doesn't get teh abuse that Farve got, Colts will win.

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN
    AS long as Manning doesn't get the abuse that Farve got, Colts will win.

There will be no awkward Manning family moments

Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2010 9:25 PM ET

Former Saints quarterback Archie Manning, whose sons won Super Bowls in consecutive seasons in the latter years of the last decade, won't be pulling for his former team to get its first Lombardi Trophy on February 7.

According to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, Archie Manning will be rooting for the Colts.

"It's a game and I'm going to pull for my son," the elder Manning said. "[Saints coach] Sean Payton knows that. He's a great friend of mine. [Saints quarterback] Drew Brees knows that. That's just the way it is.

"Anybody who thinks it's different must not have children."

Archie Manning spent 12 years with the Saints, from 1971 through 1982. Though he finished his career with the Vikings, he remains a fixture in New Orleans.

And while Peyton arguably is (or soon will be) the greatest player in NFL history at any position, Archie was mediocre, at best. He never appeared in the postseason, and he had a career passer rating of 67.1, with 125 touchdowns passes and 173 interceptions.

So it's possible once again a Manning may trash the Saints hopes and dreams.

Colts win going away. Saints looked like they were overwhelmed by the moment in large stretches of the NFCC, which was an EXTREMELY sloppy game. Then, their fans and players looked like they had won the SB just by making it. The Colts seem to be all business this postseason, and my impression is that the Saints have already done what they came to do. Would love to see them win, but I don't see this one living up to the hype. Colts 38 - 24.